Author Topic: Anyone into Mighty Max Builds here?  (Read 4190 times)

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
Re: Anyone into Mighty Max Builds here?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 10:23:32 PM »
This is amazing! Wow it looks like it belongs in there! Thanks for sharing. I hope this is the first of many...

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 07:02:35 AM »
Dan has ridden in Pearl, too. I bet yours is zoomier.
Details on Pearl? Dan appeared to have fun. Glad I could oblige.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 07:06:10 AM »
This is amazing! Wow it looks like it belongs in there! Thanks for sharing. I hope this is the first of many...
Glad you like. The goal was to make it look like Mitsubishi built it that way. Time will tell if similar builds catch on. I sure hope so.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 06:24:38 PM »
 Hey, with your trailblazing I'm in. Been wanting one of these motors in my Montero since they came out.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 08:21:51 AM »
Hey, with your trailblazing I'm in. Been wanting one of these motors in my Montero since they came out.

Glad to hear. It's not an easy build but I think it's well worth it.

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 05:51:42 PM »
1988 Max SPX Extended Cab 4wd with Service Body & Starion Power
1980 Dodge W400 service truck

For Sale: 1983 Montero #277, 1989 Power Ram 50 extended cab
Sundry Gen 1 Montero and Gen 1 & 2 Mighty Max parts and vehicles for sale

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2017, 12:33:26 AM »
Little update.

Been having too much fun playing around with her. Did manage to pull my rear axle for that of a 97 sport and then installed the lsd diff. No more one leg burnouts down the block.

Did figure you all might enjoy a video from a few weeks back.

https://youtu.be/JyjcxxiDjCc

Also, just had a breakthrough on extra power gains on the motor. Even more power now than captured in this video. Just keeps getting better.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2018, 08:22:04 PM »
Installed a new intake. 95 Montero SR or Kia Sorento. Been playing with both. Each one has its own advantages. What both do well is allow for low end torque, and high end RPM's. Where you feel the gains is on the upper end. This motor really wants to pull if you give it some room to breathe. I took a corner the other day and just gave it some gas. Both rear tires broke loose as I took off up the hill. Didnt have to downshift or anything. :)

Im still not done playing with intakes. I've got another one that I probably wont get to until later this year. Having a lot of fun with this.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 08:49:45 PM »
 That looks amazing!

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 03:00:35 PM »
Update:
Went on another climb this weekend. Found a new trail up north and decided to give it a go. What started out as a couple hill climbs turned into an old mine road up to the top of a mountain.

Half way up the trail.

2/3 way up. Got steep from here.

I hate how its hard to gauge an incline in pictures, but this is 3/4 way up. Lots of loose gravel, big rocks, washouts and tight switchbacks.

The top. There were several filled in mining holes up here. Appears to be an old Copper/gold mining attempt. Grabbed a couple cool rocks and headed back down.

Ok with that one in the bag i got brave and wanted to try a run back at the last old mountain that I chickened out on. The road you see on the left is the one I have been taking up. Its a newer path and is plenty steep. The trail to the right is the old path, full of washouts, spinnouts, and loads of loose articulation. I cant say ive ever seen anyone make it up that trail since ive been coming here.

Better look down the gnarly trail. The top looks normal, but if you can zoom in the middle and lower section are a mess. Also this looks flat, but its so steep i nearly fell on my ass walking down.

Better picture showing how steep it is on the less steep top end. Me pointing camera straight in front of me.

So, i decide to give it a try. Put the truck in 4wd low, backed up 2 feet to engage the front diff. and took off slow in 1st gear. Bottom section was bumpy and full of ruts, so i just took my time. Then as i started the incline I just picked a steady RPM and plotted out my course up the face. The trail shifts to the left with several deep vertical washouts that clearly got other trucks sideways and stalled. There were also two large boulders in the path that were permanent fixtures in the landscape. Not knowing if I would clear, i straddled one. Several times I felt the rear end lose traction briefly, LDS kick in, then momentum continue. Towards the very top there was the largest washout with nothing but loose rocks. I kept my pace, hit it, both rear tires broke loose, felt my momentum slow, but then the fronts caught just before i started to slow to a stop. Gave the truck just a little more throttle and up we went. One of my favorite climbs with this truck yet!

Not a bad view either