Author Topic: What battery should I get? Or what are you running?  (Read 702 times)

Tliska10

• I'm new here!
What battery should I get? Or what are you running?
« on: May 07, 2018, 06:45:19 AM »
Well my 3rd gen Montero needs a new battery, the car came with a knock off brand one and it took a dumb yesterday, I've been tending it all night till I purchase a replacement one.

I was thinking optima I always wanted to try one.red top or maybe a yellow top

What battery are you guys running?

I do plan to do some Wheeling and camping with my family....
Only crazy power I get from my ride is my kids DVD TV hook up that it.
I just don't want to get stranded

VOID

Re: What battery should I get? Or what are you running?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 07:32:56 AM »
Blue top group 24 in my 99 as it is deep cycle, has marine posts and it's AGM so no corrosion.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 09:23:23 PM »
The last decade or so, I've been stuck on getting my batteries at WalMart. I buy their best one, in the biggest size that'll fit (more reserve capacity). Their best ones have a three-year full replacement warranty and two more years after that where they pro-rate the value. I've never had a bad one.

Toasty makes two very valid points about what he runs, one being dual posts, which I appreciate now that I bought a whopper of an inverter and will need to attach a set of 2 gauge cable to run the thing, but that also comes in handy for having an extra set of take-offs for an accessory bus or for having lugs/leads for a battery tender. The second point is using an AGM for the mess-free qualities.

Problem is, I'm cheap. I spend around $100 if I have a junk battery for a core (I always seem to be able to find one) and I run a power bus for accessory terminals right off the same connection the main harness uses. Scrubbing Bubbles takes care of anything that needs to be cleaned up.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

bear

• I'm new here!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 11:43:09 PM »
I use a red top Optima.  After one year I had
To get it replaced under warranty.  They work when they
Are good. Lol