Author Topic: Control Arms Good?  (Read 762 times)

jdavis

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Control Arms Good?
« on: May 13, 2018, 10:36:22 AM »
On my 1995 SR the controls arms are the originals.  The bushings look cracked and there are gaps but they seem to be working OK.

How does one tell when control arms or bushings are in need of replacing?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 12:16:32 PM by jdavis »

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: Control Arms Good?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 01:09:35 PM »
Look fine to me, usually they have slop or are off center. They will probably shit the bed after some good wheeling though.

jdavis

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 03:31:38 PM »
That's my concern, they do see a fair amount of off-road use.  Figureing I should get out in front on maintenance.

So, what's the procedure for uodating, rebuild or can they just be replaced?

Thanks,
Jon

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 04:10:35 PM »
 New OEM control arm assemblies are $150 per side and they come with a new balljoint, polyurethane UCA rebuild kit is $80 and OEM upper balljoints are $50 each roughly or you can buy new Chinese arm assemblies W/balljoints for $85 shipped.
 I recommend poly if you have big tires, it's a job but not terrible especially if you buy donor used arms (adds to the cost). If you want it awesome and easy go OEM, if you cheap out on Chinese arms pay attention to the shaft nuts as they are known to back off and spit out the bushing.

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 07:35:33 PM »
Do the poly bushings and never worry about it again.

AaronVenable

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 09:24:16 AM »
New OEM control arm assemblies are $150 per side and they come with a new balljoint, polyurethane UCA rebuild kit is $80 and OEM upper balljoints are $50 each roughly or you can buy new Chinese arm assemblies W/balljoints for $85 shipped.
 I recommend poly if you have big tires, it's a job but not terrible especially if you buy donor used arms (adds to the cost). If you want it awesome and easy go OEM, if you cheap out on Chinese arms pay attention to the shaft nuts as they are known to back off and spit out the bushing.

How long's it been since you bought OEM control arms? Finding them discontinued everywhere.