Author Topic: Electric Door Lock Issues  (Read 215 times)

radar56

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Electric Door Lock Issues
« on: August 09, 2019, 07:22:17 AM »
Recently the door locks started acting weird on the Montero.  Everytime I unlock the doors with either the key fob or the door switch it locks again right away.  I know the system is setup if you unlock it with your key fob and the door is not opened in 30 secs the doors relock.  To me it is acting like the system clock for that safety feature is not working as intended.  Anyone every have this issue before?  I am thinking the likely fix is to buy an aftermarket system, I think there is a link on here for a pretty cheap and easy on to install.  Maybe buy a remote start while I am at it...

Thanks
-Adam

1994 Montero SR
-Torsion Bar Crank and OME Rear Springs
-33x12.50r15
2002 F250 7.3 Powerstroke
2008 Nissan Pathfinder (Wife's Beater)
-Trying to convince her to let me lift it...
Multiple other toys for me and the two boys...

CharlieN

• Collector of Mitsubishi's dating back to '71
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Door Lock Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 12:05:24 PM »
Start with checking if the actuator in the rear (cargo) door is functioning properly. Sticky handle not returning down or other issues.
Mine is to the point the key works in the drivers door but I need to cycle it 3 times to unlock the other doors., they go up a little each time.
Seems the Pax door does not signal the control unit or something, been a long time since I tried it. The key will not open the other doors from the pax side.

My remote did not like being in my pocket when I seem to have gone swimming out of my canoe a decade ago so I can not offer allot on it. but,
When using your remote, watch all actuators. might be one door is draggy such that it does not signal the control unit properly. They all must freely unlock it's door or an error happens.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 12:08:20 PM by CharlieN »
Regards, Charlie N

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 03:56:07 AM »
There's a rubber stopper inside the actuator that gets worn.  What's happening is that the mechanism is going "too far" and bounces back to locked position.  Time for new actuator(s) (i believe it's the passenger side that's most likely to be worn for some reason) or open them up and rebuild the bumper.
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

RyanY

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 01:54:57 PM »
The actuator in the driver's door is the master and usually the first to wear out since it's used the most. As noted above, the rubber stops inside the actuator come apart over time and cause your problem. Someone recently posted on the FB Montero page that they had found an aftermarket replacement for $20, which is probably worth doing since it's an easy component to replace.