Author Topic: 1992 Mitsubishi Strada (quad cab turbo diesel pickup)  (Read 19062 times)

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
Re: 1992 Mitsubishi Strada (quad cab turbo diesel pickup)
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2017, 09:02:49 AM »
Next was tackling the lower valence... Rather than cutting it outright, I decided to fold it over...

First I marked the line.

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2017, 09:14:21 AM »
Then I cut a v-notch top and bottom and carefully bent it over, following up with some color matched paint I happened to have sitting around... Now I'm "fender rolling"? Not really...

Took it for a spin and am quite happy with the results. The revs are lower on the highway. And around town the shift points are slightly different so less lugging and I can hold first just a little longer before grabbing second

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2017, 09:21:23 AM »
Final result? Here are a few glamour shots. Given their wider track, they definitely protrude more than the stockers did, so gravel is a little noisier. The daily drive begins again on Tuesday, so long term reports on manners, fuel economy, etc. will be forthcoming.

ThePug

• I'm new here!
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2017, 09:36:44 PM »
I just now ticed on the LH side you have one of those useful mirrors on the front fender where would one get such an animal

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2017, 05:39:34 PM »
I just now ticed on the LH side you have one of those useful mirrors on the front fender where would one get such an animal

Honestly, if yours didn't come with one, I wouldn't waste time/effort. Its completely useless in a LHD country. Not sure where you'd get one, perhaps off a JDM Pajero via ebay? Lemme compare the pajero one to the strada one and see if they're close. You'll likely not find a strada one...

Update: New fogs came today. They didn't include the yellow lense I requested, so I'm opening an inquiry. For now amber will have to suffice. It actually lights up yellow when on anyway.

I needed these since the OEM Cibies were rusted through the can on both lights, a result of 25 years of water ingress. These HID's are close to the same profile so I thought they'd play the proper homage. Esp if I can get the yellow lenses. Ahem.

These were a third of what I'd have paid locally for what looks identical in the Procomp HID foglight. That's a lot less. I opted for 35watts and flood pattern. Wasn't a huge fan of the red surround, but it'd be easy to paint. And now that I have it, its a dead ringer for the truck's paint.

I've yet to test them, but they seem pretty good so far.

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2017, 08:40:55 PM »
Okay that's too funny. Right after I took the pic I had to pull apart the rhs light and reorient it. Also clocked the metal ring so they were even.

Glad I'm not the only one bothered by such things. Lol

As for the savanna lights? Oh man... Those are sooooo sexy!

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2017, 06:14:44 PM »
Took the truck on my daily drive this morn (I'm a teacher, and its September, so...). From 95 to 100 kmh I was getting a decent vibe. Not in the wheel but more of an all over, like either a weight slipped, or I shucked one altogether. So this evening I was back at the tire shop. They rebalanced all four wheels, and tomorrow I try again. The guy said they were all a little off, but one in particular. So maybe the hub alignment cup wasn't on straight? Hmmm. In any event, fingers crossed. On the plus side, the speedo is pretty much dead on. Wish I had checked it before, since obviously it was off with the stock tires? Revs have dropped on the highway about 150 to 200 rpm which reduces the noise a bit.

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2017, 08:32:53 PM »
The vibe is still there, but unlike other unbalanced wheels I've experienced. It comes and goes. Sometime it is dead on 100kmh and sometimes that speed is smooth. Not a huge vibration like shake your mirror kind, just a sometimes noticeable annoyance. I think my next step will be to swap wheels around and see if it changes the vibe's characteristics? And while I'm at it I'll put on the finishing touches - those OE hub covers I got from Uncle Russ at the ranch! ;)

As for my HID lights, the ebay seller told me I did in fact get the yellow ones (they are yellow when on, but amber when off). He's going to send me transparent ones too, to make me happy. I'll probably keep those one most of the time. Not sure the amber is ma thang...

Oh, and my wheelskin steering wheel wrap came yesterday. Haven't had time to stitch it on yet, maybe on the weekend?

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2017, 11:20:59 AM »
Awesome truck, thanks for posting details on this thing.

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2017, 04:53:19 PM »
Awesome truck, thanks for posting details on this thing.

Thanks buddy! Nothing compared to what you guys accomplish, in terms of mods, but you know how I like my trucks. ;)

So if you refer back to the first page, when I got this truck it had a nice MOMO early evo wheel swapped in, but there was one problem. It was wrapped in medical tape at the two o'clock position. And it looked pretty gross. I peeled it off almost immediately, and sure enough, there was a hole in the leather underneath. So it still looked pretty gross. Just, not as I guess?

After looking at this for nine months, I finally got a chance this weekend, to cover it up. There are many options out there, but I went with wheelskins for their reputation for quality. I ordered directly via www.wheelskins.com . Shipped quickly, after I measured the wheel about fifty times. Funny enough, the sizing was dead on for the Mitsubishi iMiev, my Strada's very very distant cousin.

First thing I had to do after stretching the string, was try to build up the hole. I feathered the edges, and built up the middle with two layers of gorilla tape when it felt to be the same level as the rest of the wheel.

Then it was on to stitching. There are plenty of videos on how to do it, tips, tricks, etc. I won't impart any pearls of wisdom, since I feel unqualified. But it went on.

Didn't come out perfect, but so much better than it was before that it's perfect to me. This concludes the interior renovation.  Also finally wired the 12v battery gauge, ran power for the CB, and did a separate relay for the HID foglights from a week or so back.

ThePug

• I'm new here!
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2017, 07:18:39 PM »
Ahhh Man it looks fantastic I love leTher steering wheels, my Strada has a wood wheel that's in decent shape otherwise I'd so be doin it. It looks great 👍 Good job

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2017, 05:14:45 PM »
So in my usual style, I've gotten this thing basically where I want it, and have decided to put it up for sale. I have my eye on another prize, but we'll see what happens here first. If I can't sell it for reasonable (and it was expensive, so reasonable may not jive with public opinion) money, then I have other plans. But we'll see...

I do believe I have some sort of illness. :D

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2017, 06:01:42 PM »
Had this up for sale for a while, but no finishers, only tire kickers. The replacement I have in mind isn't showing up in JDM land either, so for now its stay the course.

The BFG's have been very good, and although our weather has turned back into fall again, they were really good in the 2 weeks of actual snow we did have.

Now have 135k kms on her, so I wouldn't say she's broken in yet. I am in no rush to see this one go, but eventually I will be in another Pajero for my commute. This truck is neat, but I really prefer an SUV 90% of the time.

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
Now FOR SALE: 1992 Mitsubishi Strada (quad cab TD pickup)
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2018, 10:24:53 AM »
I now have a new Pajero coming from Japan (details elsewhere) so this is now officially For Sale. I'll leave this here, and perhaps the next owner can add on to it? One can only hope.

For reference, not included from this build is the HID floods (put the factory originals back in place) and the stuff on the roof. That is going to the next rig. Also I swapped in a single DIN with bluetooth. It works, but is certainly not a hi-fi stunner. CB and Android headunit are also going to the new rig.

If you are interested in this rig, let me know. I'd love to see it go to someone who appreciates it...

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2018, 12:19:43 PM »
This rig is now sold. An enthusiast family is driving it from here back to Michigan. They have multiple Mighty Maxes so this one is a holy grail for them. Its so nice to see it go to folks who appreciate it. I will miss it...