Author Topic: Crankshaft Position Sensor Keeps Failing!  (Read 2338 times)

BottomFeeder

• View Profile
Crankshaft Position Sensor Keeps Failing!
« on: April 08, 2017, 02:38:57 PM »
I posted this over on the Expo AZ page.  Thought I'd see if I could get some help here as well.

Well, I need your help. My 95 SR is blowing through crank position sensors. I am now on the 5th sensor. All 3 wires have been tested and checked out with the right voltage. I have replaced the sensor ring (MD185237) and spacer (MD309036). I am on my 3rd mitsu crank sensor (MD303643) The 1st 2 were purchased at O'Reilly's and failed within minutes. As you all know, this process is like replacing the timing belt over and over and over and over again... Any advice and help is very much appreciated.

I am planing a trip to Colorado in June. I will also be heading to AZ at that time if I can get this sorted out.

Thanks
1990 LS, 2" Body Lift, 33's, Dual LSD
1995 SR, 1.5 Body Lift, 33's
1999 Winter Package

MudRaider

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor Keeps Failing!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 07:05:05 PM »
I'm guessing that when you are testing the wires, you are moving them? More often than not, problems like this are found to be broken wire insulation that is shorting out the electrical piece. A visual inspection of each wire, looking for cracked insulation, or a continuity test moving the wires around to get any cracks to open up and show where the spark that is killing the sensor. Just something I've noticed.

BottomFeeder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 02:11:25 PM »
That's the only thing left I can think of.  While testing the voltage we talked about that solution.  I guess it's time to dig in.

Thanks
1999 Winter Package

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 02:09:34 PM »
The only advice I can give;

Check all chassis grounds
remove and inspect ECU for possible blown capacitor or water/corrosion damage
check harness on driverside of engine bay as it crosses to the rear of the engine, inspect for vibration wear etc

and i'd say use a mitsu sensor over the parts stores ones, but im not basing that on any evidence of parts store ones being lower quality.

BottomFeeder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 05:29:23 PM »
Would it be wise to run a new ground wire from the sensor harness above the intake manifold to a new ground location?
1999 Winter Package

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 10:28:42 AM »
Hate things like that, but it does soumd like its shorting to ground. Maybe meter the wires and wiggle them?