Author Topic: 1997 Pajero Evolution #581  (Read 8422 times)

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
Re: 1997 Pajero Evolution #581
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 06:04:53 PM »
I guess I haven't addressed tires so far? This rig came with Bradley alloys (apparently expensive and high brow in JDM circles?) but they were 18's. And With Yoko H/T tires. Not a big fan of either. The Paj Evo shares parts with gen 2 and 3, and was literally the evolution that created the gen3. As such, it has matching hubs to the gen3, or rather, the gen3 matches the pajevo, since it came after. This means that I could fit gen2 or gen3 wheels! I happened to have a set of the early gen 3 six spokes with some decent Toyo Open Country AT's on there. They were even slightly upsized to 265-75R16. So on they went. Some folks like their 18s and I do not disparage them for that, but to me the Pajero Evolution looks and performs better with a tire that could just as easily do the desert as the street. I'll keep the 18s for some future rally cross, where I'll still make more tire noise than anything else on the lot. LOL.

Subtle change, but I'd still call it an improvement?

I have since acquired five factory original Pajero Evolution wheels, similar in look to the early gen3s. One needs fixing, and all need refinishing but down the road this truck will be shod in its OE livery.

VOID

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 04:39:58 PM »
 Love it!

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 04:34:07 PM »
I guess the PajEvo will be getting a new headunit. I sold our gen3 XLS and let my buddy have the stereo that was in it. My wife has terrible luck with bluetooth, so I pulled the Pioneer (featured elsewhere in this thread) out of the PajEvo dash, and installed it in her new JDM Gen3 Pajero. Unless you have a flip screen, almost anything down there that you have to look at is useless anyways, unless you can control it with your ankles. We'll see if Santa comes up with a solution to the gaping hole now gracing no.581?

~I'm not that interested in putting the factory cassette deck back in, since my tapes are all encoded in Dolby C and it only does Dolby B. ;)  ~

Here's what the new LWB Paj got, while I'm left with a big void...

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 09:38:51 AM »
Finally got around to filling in the hole in the dash. My wife got me a Kenwood Excelon DDX794 for Christmas, and the other day I put it in.

Harness to adapt the factory to the deck:

The new unit, all stretched out, at maximum tilt angle:

One of the reasons why this was such a good choice was the trick tilting face. Its not one of those where the whole screen comes out horizontally and then flips up. Even if there was enough room in front of the trans selector (there isn't) I always got a floppy feel from that type of screen.

No, this one sits vertically like a traditional deck, but has a hinge at the top, and two metal bars push out the bottom to a predetermined angle on startup. Once pivoted it is very solid, and allows you to see the screen from waaaaaay up in the driver's seat.

This machine has all sorts of other bells and whistles, but honestly none of it matters if you can't see/interact with it. The gen2 was designed when radios did one thing, and if they were at knee level to do that, no one cared. Nowadays, seeing the screen is more important. Driving this rig is so fun and interactive that you almost don't need a stereo - the soundtrack of the MIVEC is enough. But on a long trip, I'm gonna like this addition.

Qckslvrslash

• I'm new here!
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 05:31:00 PM »
Fellow Canadian pajevo owner here. I live on Vancouver Island and have had mine for just over a year. I can remember the wait to get what I wanted but it paid of with a near mint example. I remember seeing your posts on 4x4
Big things I have been trying to hunt down is ralliart mudflaps or somebody with them so I can get measurements to make my own and a hard spare tire cover

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 12:18:08 PM »
Hey Quicksilver! Great to have you here! Love those factory fogs. Man alive. If you ever get dimensia and decide to sell them, let me know! You probably got the factory option ARC intake too did you? :)

I see JAOS flaps on Yahoo Japan all the time, but haven't seen Ralliart ones lately. I'll keep my eyes open. I ended up using some cheapie Sparcos and putting Ralliart decals on them. Did the trick. Found some factory wheels like yours as well, which I'll be putting on soon.

Great to have you here!

Cheers
Phil

Qckslvrslash

• I'm new here!
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 05:56:21 PM »
Definitely no way those are getting sold. And more than one person has already asked. Sadly no ARC airbox. As for flaps the jaos ones are just universal as JAOS doesn't make any fit to our Evo's. I am stubborn and will find either a set for sale or somebody with them willing to take some measurements and photos so I can properly make high quality reproductions.

VOID

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 09:43:50 PM »
 Phil, I know we broke all the pictures but if you fix yours i'll fix mine. Such a bummer how that went down.

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2018, 05:05:55 PM »
Pajevo now has factory original wheels on! It's a sordid tale of how they came to me, but they are now in the right place. These alloys may be rarer than the truck they're sitting on. :)

No pics yet. But yes, it happened.