Author Topic: Gen 2 4x4 Shifter ball replacement- info not found on other forums.  (Read 4662 times)

agrabau

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Recently I was unable to shift my truck into 2wd effectively. The shifter felt a bit like churning butter. Something was wrong and I had never any occasion to investigate how the shifter worked. I figured something was loose. I also figured I'd have to take the center console apart to figure it out. (which I did) Along the way I ran into a few issues that I had never seen mentioned online so I thought I could make a thread here to share what I learned. I was able to find a new shifter ball online (red color) and it's an OE Mitsu part. It was just over 20 bucks. The entire shifter assembly that people talk about replacing as a whole is about 200-300 depending on who you call. Replacing just the ball seemed like a great idea.

Let's start from the top and I'll skip some details because the shifter removal is covered well on other forums and in other posts. Not mentioned was to mark the 3 bolt flange with a forward facing arrow, also mark the 4-hole upper plate with a forward facing arrow. It might help you later. NOTE: Things in my photos are mirrored. My car is RHD. This makes things confusing so if you're trying to check if you did things right.. you might want to check another person's photos.

1- remove center console- the whole thing has to come out. Remove the shifter knobs first. There's a trim piece that comes off the Auto shifter to reveal a second screw to take it off. The 4x4 shift knob unscrews but you might want to hold the shift shaft while unscrewing it. It's on tight. Remember what screws went where- bag them.

2) I went about this the wrong way by removing the 3 nuts holding the shifter to the transfer case. I should have done what everyone said and removed the 4 just beyond that.

https://goo.gl/photos/H7p9TCT7RLF8Fo2i7

In the photo you can see the remnants of the old ball.

3) actually remove the 4 bolts this time to get the upper cover off. The front and rear pairs are different lengths so remember which went where.

https://goo.gl/photos/qwyqkt8t6rj1VKyt8

Clean out the old ball material. Check that your shift forks are properly aligned (per someone else's thread) for later. If you were in 2wd when you took it apart you should be fine.

4) This is where things got weird for me. This pin shown in the pic below was offset. Having never taken this apart before I didn't know if this was the way it's supposed to be. There was NO information online about this so I had to investigate. Later I found out that to install the new red ball the pin has to come out anyway.

https://goo.gl/photos/gnWNbWfKh8Czq2QM7

To get beyond this point you'll need to tear down the shifter assembly a bit further. Start with the small boot. Cut the safety wire that seals it. Slide the boot out from under the the flange with 3 holes in it so you can pull it inside-out and out of your way. Once that's up and out of the way you'll see a C clip holding the sprung cup in place. Pop that clip off and put it aside for now. Now you're ready to press the pin out.

You'll need an arbor press for this part. I used a hydraulic press but it's in there pretty well. Be careful with your eyes.  The best way to do this is to set up two aluminum blocks, one on the rectangle at the end of the shifter arm and another on the arm of the shifter too, just above the cup. The little tin cup can rattle around freely while you press the pin out. Use a bolt or something to get it through. I used an M6 socket head cap screw.

https://goo.gl/photos/MK7rpDKZFiPdFkHE6

The photo above shows the little boot pulled out from under the flange and the cup around the pin that you need to press out. The C clip to release the spring tension on the cup is hidden under the boot in the photo. It's easy to get off.

Next, reassembly. Get your red ball or white ball or whatever ball you have and put it in the cup, align the bore that goes through the red ball with the hole in the shifter that you revealed by taking the pin out and then carefully re install the pin through the ball and then through the shifter, back through the other side of the ball, completely securing it. (the pin passes through the ball to hold it in place) I used a hammer to give it a starter tap, then the press)

Once the pin is pressed in (using those aluminum blocks I mentioned before again) pack some grease in under the cup and around the ball, replace your C clip with a little hammer, slide the small boot back down over the spring and cup and then under the 3 hole flange. Clean the flange from errant grease and put some gasket maker on it while bolting it back to the larger upper plate. Re safety wire the top of the boot to the shifter arm.

Check that you have everything in straight and that you have full travel.

https://goo.gl/photos/gKwhsk2sWQc3s5jdA

The little notch on the shifter arm should line up with that steel rectangle on the shifter plate. The US plate is just mirrored. If you line the notch with the rectangle, you've built it correctly.

I hope this helps someone.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:00:34 AM by agrabau »

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
Wow! That's what I call a first post! Awesome writeup! Thanks Alex! Bookmarking this one for future reference.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
 Thanks for contributing!

DR1665

• Global Moderator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
This is amazing detail. Thank you so much! My tcase shifter is junk. I don't that I've ever been in 4L with my 98, and sometimes I have to hold the lever forward to keep it in 4wd. I heard there's a donut bushing in there, but for $20, this seems like a great Saturday morning project that returns big smiles.

You'd be a SUPER hero if you had any of those external links anime and could share them as well. No worries if not, though. You've just set a high bar for new members.
The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)

agrabau

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Thanks DR

This is one link I referenced.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/134943-Mitsubishi-Montero-Gen-2-5-Transfer-Case-Shift-Lever-Replacement

The place I bought the ball from is here. They offer an aftermarket one as well but I opted for OEM this round.

P/N MR701605

http://stores.ebay.com/partslunacy/

-Alex

Drew84

• View Profile
    • Auto Off Topic Podcast
I'm glad you figured this out.
Keep your cars analog.
1990 Talon TSi
1991 Galant VR4
1999 Montero "Cold weather"

ImNoSaint

• Third Montero, First 2.5
    • View Profile
    • The 2.5 Build
Getting ready to tackle this myself. Great thanks for the post.
1998 Mitsubishi Montero Winter Package
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 - sold
2007 Hummer H3 - sold
2003 Mitsubishi Montero LTD - sold

agrabau

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Yeah let me know if you have any questions.  Andrew- once I had to install the ball it all made sense insofar as pin placement.

Drew84

• View Profile
    • Auto Off Topic Podcast
Re: Gen 2 4x4 Shifter ball replacement- info not found on other forums.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 07:08:38 AM »
Just to make this post even clearer.

I read this post, a month ago. Then finally decided to tackle the job my self and of course removed the three DANGER bolts. Then I spent a half hour fishing out a bolt from my T/case with a magnet. Not a super fun time.

This is a 1999 LHD truck with an original "red" ball that I swapped for an earlier "white" ball.

Clean off any gunk and dirt with WD40 and a blow gun or brake cleaner before you pop this cover off. You don't want junk falling in the T/case. Remove the 4 bolts marked with arrows. Mine looked to be all the same length, but I kept the front pair together and the rear pair together just to be sure. When this cover is off, put a rag over the top of the T/case to avoid dropping anything in there.

IMG_0311 by Andrew Pascarella, on Flickr
Keep your cars analog.
1990 Talon TSi
1991 Galant VR4

Drew84

• View Profile
    • Auto Off Topic Podcast
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 10:16:20 AM »
With the main 4 bolt cover removed, NOW you may remove the three bolts safety from the shifter assembly and either replace the shifter ball or entire shifter. Installation is reverse of removal.

The shifter ball has left the building.

IMG_0316 by Andrew Pascarella, on Flickr

New shifter with "white" ball already installed.

IMG_0318 by Andrew Pascarella, on Flickr

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:18:49 AM by Drew84 »
Keep your cars analog.
1990 Talon TSi
1991 Galant VR4

evomaki

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 05:40:01 AM »
Wow, great information.  After some back and forth with RC Hill Mitsubishi (I think they are MitsubishiPartsWarehouse.com) I have learned that the entire transfer case shifter (ball and everything else all assembled) is part number MR 110334.  This would be for a gen 2.5.  Not sure if that would work for other models as well.  I will say that this part number does not easily come up on websites.  Only found one with a description,and it sounds right but no picture.  The person I emailed at RC Hill did not sound like a "parts guy...or gal."  You all know, that vanishing breed of parts person who knows their **it.  Therefore, I am only 90% confident in that part number.  Roughly $180 bucks, so not cheap.  If it is right, I'd spend the $$.  Anybody here have confirmation this is the right part number?  Thanks,