Author Topic: 2000 Endeavor Montero  (Read 2478 times)

B

• Mitsubishi Hoarder
    • View Profile
2000 Endeavor Montero
« on: May 12, 2017, 06:25:07 AM »

Introducing my 2000 Montero Endeavor. I picked it up in July 2014, with 133,000 miles on it. Maintenance records were all there.

Being a big Mitsu fan already coming from DSM's I looked at the Montero as a reliable daily driver, not fully knowing the massive potential of these rigs.

I hopped on Expedition Portal, started learning from there and the rest is history!
Adventure Driven Design has built an amazing platform for our community, and decided that my build thread will live here.

Here's some photos of when I first test-drove it at the dealer. One owner, all stock aside from some nice Michelin 31's.

I tinted the front windows and removed the screen the P.O. had on the grill.

Swapped all interior halogen bulbs with LED, here's a before/afters.

The red on my triple diamonds had faded, so I wrapped her up with some fresh red, debadged the V6, and tinted the windshield in 30%.

Replaced the rear cam seals with fresh new Mitsubishi ones. Old ones were quite dried up and shrunken. Also applied RTV to the cap to prevent leaking.

The plastic engine cover was grimey, dirty, and needed a cleaning. So, I gave it a make-over with some hydro-dipping and vinyl wrap.

Removed the running boards before the trails did and vinyl wrapped the holes left behind.

Front brake replacement. First time messing with rotors attached to the hub. That was a hoot.

In it's natural habitat.

Needed better light! Now, this was in 2014 so LED headlight bulbs were not quite out on the market yet, so I did a good ol' HID retrofit.

With 31's and the 4.27 gearing it towed flawlessly through the mountains.

More to come! That'll do for the first post...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 06:26:38 AM by B »
2000 Montero LWB 3.5 SOHC Endeavor

1990 Eclipse GSX 2.0 Turbo AWD E-85

1991 Talon TSi 2.0 Turbo AWD

B

• Mitsubishi Hoarder
    • View Profile
Re: 2000 Endeavor Montero
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 06:58:43 AM »

Went out on a cold winter's day to start the Montero and was making a bunch of noise from the timing belt area. I shut her down and pulled it apart to find my Mitsu tensioner had failed. At that time, the P.O. had the timing belt replaced and it had 12k on it.

Here's my homemade tool for holding the harmonic balancer to get the crank bolt out. My crank bolt the original design, so I replaced it with the updated design crank bolt and washer.

Found a white ball transfer case shifter from the junkyard to get rid of the junk black ball shifters that come in gen 2.5's.

Take off the plate that the shifter sits on first, do not take off the three nuts holding the shifter on. They are attached to bolts, and I dropped one of them right into my transfer case. I had to remove the side cover plate to get to the dropped bolt, and luckily I got it out.

While re-installing the plate, I ended up crunching up an o2 sensor wire and that in turn warped the plate and didn't seal even after removing the wire and massaging the plate. Back to the junkyard I go to get another plate. I called my Mitsu dealer and they were able to find the gasket for me, from out of country. They said this is the last one in Mitsu inventory.

This sealed up perfectly, and I hope to never mess with that again!

Now, on to some more meaningful modifications! Ordered the OME kit through RRO (this was before ADD!) and got shipped to me in two weeks.

Installing the rear springs and shocks

Makes them 31's look tiny! I cranked the torsion bars up to match, I think it was about 1.5" if I recall.

Until the next post...
2000 Montero LWB 3.5 SOHC Endeavor

1990 Eclipse GSX 2.0 Turbo AWD E-85

1991 Talon TSi 2.0 Turbo AWD

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 08:00:11 AM »
Love the detail in your build, very nice. Thanks for contributing!

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 10:45:43 AM »
great color, love the truck.

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 04:51:26 PM »
This is an excellent example of why build threads are so helpful to all who read them. And the drop the bolt into the t-case story? Sounds like you had me working on your truck? One thing leads to another, leads to another... LOL

Looking forward to the next entry.

Mazdax605

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 05:45:03 AM »
Love your rig!! Keep up the detailed thread. This is great for a prospective Gen 2.5 owner such as myself.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 10:46:28 PM »
I'm glad I finally started taking the time to look at other peoples' build threads instead of just doing vanity on my own...    this is NICE!

I love seeing people take pride in their machinery and do things the right way.     

Hooots

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 07:42:42 AM »
Very well done. Great looking rig. Windshield tint is next on my list  ;)
"AZPAJERO" - 1997 Gen 2 Montero SR, 5.29 gears, 37" tires, Detroit front locker, Factory rear

Follow IG: https://www.instagram.com/azpajero/

FernMoreCO

• Smokin Off Road
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 12:43:56 AM »
Great looking 2.5, gonna be looking for one as well next year but if there’s a nice limited I may go that route.
2001 XLS 3.5L, 4.90 LSD