Author Topic: 1984 Turbo Diesel Mighty Max - Custom 4x4 "The Hyena"  (Read 1007 times)

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
1984 Turbo Diesel Mighty Max - Custom 4x4 "The Hyena"
« on: May 12, 2017, 10:38:49 AM »
1984 Dodge D50 2.3 liter turbo diesel, 2wd, 5 speed

Moving to the desert takes some adjusting, I parted ways with my 96 SR on 37's when I left the splendor of Michiganís West coast. I figured I would find a lot of rust free cars in the southwest. I didn't expect to be smacked in the face with every single example of a Mitsubishi I've ever wanted to own. From cars to trucks and everything between, I ended up feeling like a kid in a candy store.

Before moving I planned to do a mighty max build of some kind using gen 2 parts, but I expected to be a year out before that would start. As things work out, I was just hitting the year mark when the diesel mysteriously came into the works... It was formerly owned by an older couple in southern california, then later moved to southern Arizona, it came clean as a whistle, loaded with all the options, AC, cruise control, tachometer, digital clock, wastegated turbo, and every bit of fuel mileage you could ever want it became my daily driver for quite a few months. In the initial phase it looked more like "Gramps fishin' truck" than a carcass-devouring filthy mutt, but that's all set to change...

There's been a lot of Mitsubishi work happening on the outskirts of the Tonto National Forest, under the shadow of the Superstition Mountains... they're everywhere and they're all getting chopped up and modified heavily. A 4x4 chassis was prepared for the Hyena, it came from an 82 that was running a 2.6 gas engine and 3 speed a904 trans, 8" rear with 3.90 open diffs, the rolling chassis came from Toasty, but it's now equipped with 5.29 gen 2 montero front and rear with a locker, montero coil sprung suspension, trailing arms,  all new steering parts, v6 torsion bars, a 4 speed AW03-72L and an NP231 transfer case. Most of which were scraps from builds around the valley. The 4D55 from the truck will be powering the chassis and it will be equipped with Western Wheels 15x10 cyclone II's and 35" tires with tube fenders for it's 4x4 initial phase.

Stay tuned...

How things started. I'll miss this configuration, 40mpg, versatile little truck.

It's like a 4BT but more obscure. The injection pump is practically the same as the Bosch unit found on the 4BT, it was licensed by them.

That time Toaster and I made a 15 foot tall A-frame hoist to lift the body from my truck and then I used it once.

Here we see the Mighty Max leaf sprung suspension compared to a 94 Montero LS suspension. Getting 5.29's for my truck was awesome, coil suspension was a bonus. Lucky for me Toast is a surgeon with metal cutting devices. I dropped the truck off and he returned it to me looking like a factory coil max... I'm always really impressed with his metal work.

As you can see, even with 33's there's trimming to be done.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
Re: 1984 Turbo Diesel Mighty Max - Custom 4x4 "The Hyena"
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 01:36:34 PM »
The week before MOD17 I was in the shop trying to decide what to do, I made a list of what needed completed on my truck, at the minimum it was the length of my arm and that was mostly temporary things I would do to get the truck to the event, then back home to redo a number of them. After deciding I had two options: spend every day dawn-to-dusk wrenching to make a test-drive on thursday and trek across the 124 degree desert on friday, or change gears (im punny) and change fluids in my 99 Montero then spend the week getting ready and casually drive to MOD. I decided to take the easy road. I've put deadlines on projects before based on events and it's often resulted in heartache and headache. I might be learning.

In the week before throwing in the towel, Adam (toasty) and I managed to cut the floor apart in the truck to make room for the 4 speed auto and NP231, even with a 3" body lift shit did not want to fit. The truck was originally 2WD so the trans tunnel was quite narrow. We made the proper cuts and used a percussive tool to massage bits into the rough shape we wanted, then began welding things back together. I dropped off yokes at the local driveshaft shop and they returned a beautiful driveshaft to me.

This project will get shelved. likely until october with only minimal incremental advancements being made as I move into the higher priority builds around base camp. There's a few vehicles that need more immediate attention. One of them being CJ's (CommonCrote) SWB Gen 1 with a 2.4 EFI swap, the other being Kimberly's 1975 Galant Wagon, also with a 2.4 EFI swap, the third, not at basecamp project that's well underway is the 1991 Galant VR-4 Rally car that I've been restoring for local stage rally drive Keith. This thread will go quiet for a little while.

Attached Photos below:
just before the T-case

The new driveshaft

driveshaft intstalled

the truck as it sits today

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
Re: 1984 Turbo Diesel Mighty Max - Custom 4x4 "The Hyena"
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 05:53:30 PM »
I popped the hood and the engine is still there; pretty cool vintage plate too!

Adam tackled reconstructing the floor to make room for the 4 speed auto and t-case; two things this truck never had. He also pulled a pair of sliders from the dumpster and made a little frontal crash support for me.

Current to-do list so i can get on the trail:
fluids
soft lines for brakes
fuel lines
swap in diesel tank
install front driveshaft
Other things I'm forgetting. There's a lot more than just that, skids, armor, winch, wiring, lighting, etc, but the trail is ten minutes from my house and i'd really like to spool up some dirt...

See ya next year? I'd like to bring this to MOD2018, but we'll see...