Author Topic: Phoenix to Klondyke, AZ to Turkey Creek Camp to Mammoth, AZ via Rug Road, May 28  (Read 2480 times)

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Global Moderator
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
    • View Profile
I would like to camp in Turkey Creek, northwest of Klondyke, AZ, on the evenings of Sunday, May 28th and Monday, May 29th, then head via Rug Road to Mammoth, AZ on Tuesday (provided my employer actually allows me to take that Tuesday off), and head home from there.
I've passed through Turkey Creek before, a year ago. It's a perennial stream, one of only a few in AZ, and there are lots of potential camp sites in a really cool, miles-long canyon. There's stuff to explore, like some Native American ruins that I couldn't find last time. The less-than-very-capable vehicles can make it in there and leave the same way we come in. The hardy ones can take the long route on Rug Road to cut through some great scenery on a great, little-used trail to get to Mammoth, AZ, then home on the highway.
This is in my early planning stage. Stay tuned for any possible updates/chickening out/cancellations on my part.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
There was some talk about trying to do a campout there at the end of June, too..   in either case if I go it will be on four wheels.    ;D

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
in either case if I go it will be on four wheels.    ;D

Oh man, I hope so...suspension never felt so good, amiright?

John B.
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Sounds like a real cool time.

Hooots

• View Profile
Could a CRV make it on these routes?  ;D

i keed i keed
"AZPAJERO" - 1997 Gen 2 Montero SR, 5.29 gears, 37" tires, Detroit front locker, Factory rear

Follow IG: https://www.instagram.com/azpajero/

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
A CRV can make it all the way back to the proposed camping area in good weather with minimal (if any at all) risk of harm. 

There are several very shallow and easy water crossings,  and some uneven sandy soil.       The optional return route through Rug Road would be effectively impassable to a CRV regardless of driver skill or indifference to damage. 

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
"Effectively impassable" is another way of saying it would total the thing. It wouldn't make it 50 yards up the trail after the creek.
My evil overlord boss has declared the Tuesday after Memorial Day a no-go for taking the day off, so I'm planning on leaving Sunday morning and coming back Monday evening. My guest has to work Saturday, so I'll be at home installing my new upper a-arms and ball joints along with the new Power Stop brake pads that came in today. Unless I decide to do that sooner, of course.

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
This thing is still ON. I'm a bit hesitant to tackle Rug Road on a solo, one vehicle trip, though. If no one else goes, I'd be out there with no support and on a trail with virtually zero traffic. Anybody else interested? The 14th St Crew doesn't seem too motivated to work on getting out there (besides me).
I replaced another one of my 33" BFG's today. Got rid of the 10 year old Goodyear MTR, pre-Kevlar one that wasn't exactly round anymore. Now I'm only left with one BFG that seems weak, plus another weak one as my spare. My upper a-arms are ready to go in, as I've dropped the new ball joints into them. Got all day Saturday to get that squared away.

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Got my new front brake pads in after work, before it got dark tonight. Mission - 'Control Arms' is a "go" for tomorrow. Need to bed in the pads and make final preps for the trip; leaving Sunday morning early.

John B.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
New brakes always feel GOOOD!   

I won't be able to join (didn't really expect to..) but I think we're still planning for end of June out there.     

If you get stuck and have cell service,  I'll probably be able to help with a midnight rescue mission but I'm not 100% sure my truck will make it down Rug Road undamaged  :(

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
This mission has been completed. Fire restrictions went into effect there (on all BLM land) last Thursday, so it was a no-go on a camp fire, charcoal grill or the citronella torches. I'd wait for the restrictions to be lifted before going back, myself.

Oh, and Rug Road is really hard to do alone, at least it was today. Very slow going, really tippy at some spots. A lot of our day was spent with the speedometer needle resting on the "below 5 mph peg."

John B.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
Fire restrictions went into effect there (on all BLM land) last Thursday, so it was a no-go on a camp fire, charcoal grill or the citronella torches. I'd wait for the restrictions to be lifted before going back, myself.

Because of bugs?    Or just because camping is better with fire?

There's a small chance I'll be doing something in late June with a real deal professional film crew and was thinking about using Arvaipa Canyon but if it's insect hell that might make what they're trying to do more challenging than it has to be. 

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
There were only minor nuisance insects, not a problem at all. Nothing bit us, in fact. Not sure what all the hullabaloo was about needing to avoid the area because of insects. Fire is a near requisite for camping and in my opinion, can alter the time-space continuum around any given site. Without it, things are...too civilized.
John B.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
 I was camping on Carmel beach, sorry i couldn't make that one but i couldn't have a fire either if it makes you feel better.