Author Topic: ADD Idler Arm Upgrade - My Install  (Read 2314 times)

B

• Mitsubishi Hoarder
    • View Profile
ADD Idler Arm Upgrade - My Install
« on: May 28, 2017, 07:14:45 AM »
My Adventure Driven Design Chromoly Idler Arm Kingpin upgrade finally arrived, and the time had come to install this bad boy.  8)

Here's the idler arm that I had already replaced last year, it is a sealed Moog replacement that cannot be taken apart for service or upgrades. I already broke the four mounting bolts loose (14mm on both sides) you can see the wrench still in place holding one of the bolts from the back side of the frame rail.

So, I called the local Mitsubishi dealer and ordered up an OEM idler arm kit, part number MB831042. Here it is below, with the ADD kingpin and bushings to the right. Save your factory idler arms!

I began by carefully prying the top cap up and off to expose the snap-ring.

After taking the snap-ring off, remove the washers/springs and set them so you won't forget the order of which they went in. They are beveled out from the center which I guess makes it a "spring".

Then the old kingpin should slide right out!

Since this was a factory new sealed unit, the plastic bushings and lower seal were still fit nice and tight. Most of the plastic bushing just started crumbling when hitting it with a punch to pop them out. After some banging, it all finally popped out. Here's all the old components we will be replacing.

After cleaning the idler arm housing and putting a light coat of grease on the new bushings and kingpin, I popped in the lower bushing and drove the lower seal in using the old kingpin.

I then put in the top bronze bushing which popped right into place. Slid the new chromoly kingpin in, installed the washers in correct order. Made sure the snap-ring was fully seated, then used a little gray RTV to seal the top cap back down.

Here's it installed back onto the truck. Once you have the idler arm housing bolted on, then install the arm onto the kingpin and torque large lower nut to 101ft/lbs. The castle nut is 33ft/lbs or so, until you get the pin in place.

Can't wait to get out on the trails and enjoy for years to come!

2000 Montero LWB 3.5 SOHC Endeavor

1990 Eclipse GSX 2.0 Turbo AWD E-85

1991 Talon TSi 2.0 Turbo AWD

MudRaider

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: ADD Idler Arm Upgrade - My Install
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 03:45:24 PM »
Great write-up!

Charly

• lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 11:08:35 PM »
Agreed !
K9ADV

jkgordon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 04:34:27 PM »
Thanks for the writeup!  I am about to attempt mine.  When torquing the large lower nut onto the kingpin, what prevents the kingpin from spinning in place as you try to torque the nut to 101ft/lbs?
Jay Gordon
1997 Montero SR

JakeP

• "Who brought that Mitsubishi up here?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 09:06:50 PM »
Why did you replace the MOOG one?

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 01:50:14 PM »
 What a beautiful install, good work.

For those about to install.
 On the bronze bushings, they soak up oil/grease so once you lube it it is lubed for life. No need to install a grease zerk as there is no place for grease to go except to blow out the seal.

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 07:15:47 AM »
Great writeup man...I am going to do mine soon.
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

Charly

• lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 12:10:36 PM »
The only trouble I had with my install was getting the original seal out.
I struggled with it for 45 minutes, before it finally popped. it was in there and not wanting to come out.
Other than that the install was super easy.
K9ADV

bikerjosh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 05:36:57 AM »
Any hints on removing the king pin from the idler arm? Unbolted the bracket (4 bolts) but can't get the arm to let go of the king pin. Tried tapping with a hammer, but no dice. BTW-I was trying to leave the idler arm attached to the steering rack and just removed the bolt on the king pin.

thanks josh

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 10:50:22 AM »
Probably going to be easier to remove the castle nut, knock the whole assembly off and remove it on the bench. If you're set on this route, i'd say use a good center punch on the idler shaft with the nut barely on it, that way when it breaks free it doesnt just fall to the ground.