Author Topic: Pearl - The 1988 Max SPX Starion-fortified 4x4 Service Truck  (Read 1358 times)

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
Hi All,

I purchased Pearl in March 2011 after losing the engine in my Raider. Pearl is so named because she takes me places, just like Capt. Jack Sparrow's Black Pearl. As a commuter, I drove this Max for about a year and logged about 10,000 turbo miles. It was fun to have this black and showing primer little truck blast the doors off shiny new ricer-type cars and BMW kids.

However, the infamous 2.6L head gasket problems reared up, but only between the #3 cylinder and water jacket. No milkshake! So awesome. At that time, I was still commuting 80 miles per day and had acquired a Ramcharger. In the now interim 5 years, Pearl has languished in my yard without a plan and watched as I parted yet another Ramcharger, stripped the last of the Montero Ranch Monteros and brought home a 1980 Power Wagon dually service truck. My daughter turned 18, and wanted the Raider. My son turned 18 and wanted my Ramcharger.

As my personal vehicle inventory dropped off, Pearl received a little attention when I struck a deal with Noah for an L200 Savanah grille and headlight set by swapping parts for his then recently acquired Scar the Raider. Years ago, I'd posted an inquiry on The Wire about the round headlight Max I'd seen on Cardomain, and I finally had these parts.

So began the new Pearl project. I stripped the icky fender flares first. Last summer, I located a min-truck short bed service body and waited out the owner until I could negotiate her price down. I picked up a leaf spring Sport disc brake rear axle in March, birthday present you know. Last month, I had a few days off and drove to pick up an 89 Montero in South Lake Tahoe, next day an 02 Sport AWD with 4.9 gears!

The large parts inventory is leading to somewhere hopefully, right? I hope so.

My very loose plan is a moderate expedition camper / trailer rider. I have so many things stashed for that type of project, and Pearl will get twice the mileage of my Dodge.

Future Specs:
1988 Mighty Max SPX extended cab 4x4
2.6L with 12G turbo, stock Starion rebuild on engine
KM-145 with Starion internals
Some mish-mash of Sport and Montero suspension: Lloyd's old torsion bars, Sport UCAs, KYB or Bilstein shocks
Sport front brakes with 2-piston caliper, Sport rear disc axle, 4.9 gears
Service bed with running water and full kitchen, 25-gallon water tank, 12V fridge, propane
Montero Gen 1 rear fuel tank, Max mid-frame tank - net will be about 40-gallon capacity
Tires: 33 or 35 inch all terrains
Winch
Body lift because the dang wheel wells are so small

As she sits today

Cheers,
Russell
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 07:24:30 PM by RXIN HED »
1988 Max SPX Extended Cab 4wd with Service Body & Starion Power
1980 Dodge W400 service truck

For Sale: 1983 Montero #277, 1989 Power Ram 50 extended cab
Sundry Gen 1 Montero and Gen 1 & 2 Mighty Max parts and vehicles for sale

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
Re: Pearl - The 1988 Max SPX Starion-fortified 4x4 Service Truck
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 07:33:40 PM »
Updated pics of Pearl with 35s and mo lift....but no steering either due to fender interference

Grr, Pearl needs her grille, but the tires are HUGE

Left front:

Right rear:

Since my initial post, I discovered that Photobucket want $$, and I've switched to Imgur for photo hosting. This set of blingy Helo HE791 Maxx rims fell in my lap and match other rims I purchased a week before, destined for my little trailer project. No spacers! No time for a body lift.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Global Moderator
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 08:06:41 PM »
YES!

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 2 sets of tires rotting in the sun, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, no action
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 10:33:18 PM »
And, look John...there's also a real Montero at the Montero Ranch

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 03:21:39 AM »
Since the tires were added, I've finally acquired the body lift parts, spring eye and shackle bushings, a flashy Chinese winch bumper, and all the Sport parts to swap over to the larger disc brakes. Slow process to this build!! Shucks.

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 09:11:26 PM »
What? Another f-ing year has almost gone by? Pearl is now in a garage! I've been married over 25 years, have lived at numerous houses with garages, and Pearl is the first. I've started taking apart the rear suspension to replace the Max rear axle and LSD with a Montero Sport disk brake rear axle that will house one of the unicorn Detroit lockers. LT is providing an Aussie locker for the front, yay for Pearl....that AZ Crew Detroit would still be welcome...hint hint. These are the two major improvements I've made over the last year. My kids are now in college and doing very well, but work takes me away and the weather / other ranch-related projects still keep me busy and away from Pearl.

tperkins

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 11:03:50 PM »
This thing is so rad.