Author Topic: Hi from the UK. 1UZ swap help...  (Read 7537 times)

Yoda

• I'm new here!
Hi from the UK. 1UZ swap help...
« on: June 05, 2017, 09:26:03 AM »
I was going to say hi in the who are you thread but as I was asked to come here I figured separate thread would be better. My name is Luke and I hail from the UK. I have an L200 with a 1UZ-FE V8 conversion.

I was asked to come here to assist others with this conversion to your Monteros I'm guessing?

For those of you who are on Facebook, I'm happy to help but honestly the greatest wealth of knowledge about this swap is on this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/496516337206842/ we happily share knowledge so you can learn there and then bring the knowledge back here.

For those not on Facebook I'll answer what I can. I'm by no means a guru but I am quite knowledgeable about these engines and how to go about the swap. I'll see if I can get some others to join up too.

So, any questions fire away...

Crumb

Re: Hi from the UK. 1UZ swap help...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 10:30:23 AM »
Thanks for joining, i just got a new 2000 Montero to swap a 1UZ into. The swap seems pretty straight forward, what are the best donor engines to use? Belt driven power steering i imagine is a plus from the donor.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 10:39:40 AM »
From the few hours of research i did a few months ago, what i deduced was that the earlier the donor, the better. Dumber/simpler ecu easier to "break out", the ability to run 87 octane, and easier to trick if you decide to *ahem* maybe not put cats in your manifolds.

My question would be the wiring side of things.  How do you run the 1uz ecu, the monty trans, and monty gauges?
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

Canyonero

• I need a nap
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »
Toasty,

From all the reading I've done on this, the vehicle I'm currently looking for as my donor is the Lexus SC400. I think they call it the Soarer overseas. The LS/GS versions of the 1UZ have a front sump oil pan which causes problems with front diff clearance. The SC has a mid/rear sump that just clears the front diff. I'm still researching the wiring, but have the LS400 ECU pinout, and am still looking for the SC400 ECU pinout.
1995 Montero SR
2" Body Lift
35"x 12" Cooper Discover STT tires
Currently dead but working on it.

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS - Daily Driver

Yoda

• I'm new here!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »
So... Which engine you choose is all about how much power you want and any tuning you plan to do. The 89>94 engine had the big con rods. It's the least powerful engine in stock trim (240bhp) but the most capable thanks to the rods. It can take 14psi with nothing more than MLS gaskets and head studs. That will see you at over 600bhp. 94> all variants of the UZ engines had the skinny rods which can only take 7psi safely. So if you want to tune it go with the early engine. There's a couple of ways to tell if it's from the cross over year but safest is always to pull the sump. If you're happy with 300bhp then just wack the vvti in (98>) onward and forget it.

Power steering is easy if the subject vehicle already has it. So yes get the pump with the engine.

The ECUs are all learning ECUs so they can manage a variety of octanes.

I went with standalone management for mine as it just solves so many problems right from the get go. I've not found anyone who used the Lexus ECU and managed to make the Mitsubishi rev counter work. I'm sure it can be done. I just don't know how. Those guys just fitted a secondary Rev counter. With a standalone you'll have the ability to adjust the pulses that the Rev counter sees and thereby obtain a correct reading. More expensive but worth it. Also a must if you're going to tune the engine as the stock ECU can't be mapped. So once you start adding boost it struggles to add enough fuel and you end up running lean. I do know a few guys running 5/6psi on stock ECU but until they add standalone management they aren't getting the best out of their turbo / super charger. If you do boost it on stock ECU make sure you run an AFR gauge as these engines will feel fine at 15.0+ but it's questionable what that will do to the valve seats long term.

Yes the Soarer /SC400 engine has a rear sump. Front sumps do catch on a stock truck. On my truck I have 3" body lift so it was possible for the fabricator to just make the engine mounts tall enough for the front sump to clear. Other guys have run a front sump and just notched it.
The engines are identical from a Soarer to an LS400 though. So run whatever ECU you like. I'm not sure if the Soarer ECU is actually different or not....?

Did I miss anything?

Crumb

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 04:50:05 PM »
 I was looking into 1996-97 engines, OBD-2 so I can pass emissions and they ran the 4 speed, my thinking was that in case I wanted to run my trans off of the Toyota ECU I could. I won't be doing any performance upgrades, I have even considered the 2UZ and 5 speed auto combo. I'm sure it will come down to whatever falls in my lap, are there donors to avoid?

Yoda

• I'm new here!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 12:25:07 AM »
Nope all UZ engines are bullet proof and nothing short of legend.

89-94 1UZ -240 bhp. All aluminium. Non-interference.
94-98 1UZ - 260 bhp. All aluminium. Thinner rods and upped compression. Non-interference was dispensed with from this generation onward.
98> 1UZ - 290 bhp. VVTI.

2UZ - 280bhp(?) iron block, aluminium head. 4.7litres. Obviously heavier.

3UZ - 300bhp. VVTI. 4.3 litres.

The 1UZ and 3UZ are all six bolt mains and 5 main bearings.

With forged rods and pistons these motors are seeing 1500bhp +. On the stock crank!

Canyonero

• I need a nap
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 04:50:17 PM »
Thank you for the engine difference information. What's unfortunate is in Arizona, engine swaps are only allowed if the engine is from the same year or newer, so for my '95, I don't get to use the stronger '94 and under engine with the ability to further modify. Really didn't want to mess with OBDII or VVTi for that matter to keep things simple, but I may change my mind for the additional power. Would certainly open up donor options though, as finding a '95 SC400 donor car has proved to be a challenge. Well, that didn't have 200K+ on the clock.

What aftermarket engine management system did you use?
1995 Montero SR
2" Body Lift
35"x 12" Cooper Discover STT tires
Currently dead but working on it.

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS - Daily Driver

Crumb

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
 Canyonero, I'm sending you a text...

Yoda

• I'm new here!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 07:33:18 AM »
The way around that would surely be to get a latter VVTI engine as it's the most bang for your buck and then later on down the line you have a couple of options. Either tune it naturally aspirated which doesn't require bigger pistons or, get an earlier engine and swap the rods. You could forge it but that's not necessary unless you want to go over 6/700 bhp.

I went with spitronics as it was cheap, but it's a pile of doggy poop and I will be changing to Megasquirt MS3X this year. Make sure you go with something that can control the transmission too.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 09:03:29 AM »
The way around that would surely be to get a latter VVTI engine as it's the most bang for your buck and then later on down the line you have a couple of options. Either tune it naturally aspirated which doesn't require bigger pistons or, get an earlier engine and swap the rods. You could forge it but that's not necessary unless you want to go over 6/700 bhp.

I went with spitronics as it was cheap, but it's a pile of doggy poop and I will be changing to Megasquirt MS3X this year. Make sure you go with something that can control the transmission too.

And there's the problem, at least state-side.

I've seen a few swaps done where they used OEM Lexus/Toyota ECUs to run the motor, but never documented the wiring work, or what they did transmission side.

I think Supra Stick is probably the only thing that works with these transmissions over here that i'm aware of.  Megasquirt/Microsquirt transmission firmware does not have these transmissions as an application in the firmware, and per DIY Autotune, their Microsquirt will not control the transmission without the firmware specific to it. Modifying the firmware yourself is against copyright laws.

Crumb

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 06:55:42 PM »
 The transmission control stuff should be easy, you can let the Lexus ECU control the Montero trans since the lexus 4 speed is the same as the Montero or run a manual controller from Winters OR you could probably tap some wires and make the Montero TCU work with the 1UZ.
 Suprastick lools like a fun little deal too

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 09:45:41 PM »
The transmission control stuff should be easy, you can let the Lexus ECU control the Montero trans since the lexus 4 speed is the same as the Montero or run a manual controller from Winters OR you could probably tap some wires and make the Montero TCU work with the 1UZ.
 Suprastick lools like a fun little deal too

Yeah it's probably not terrible for someone smarter than myself, however hacking oem engine management systems and automagic transmissions are my weak points.  Put them both together and i start to cry pretty quickly.   :-\

Yoda

• I'm new here!
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 09:54:23 AM »
I can tell you for a certainty that Megasquirt can control the transmission. Specifically the microsqirt.

The topics on this thread seem to be all specific to the engines, transmissions or management thereof. So not really Montero specific questions. Evidently you all know how to do the actual swap? With this in mind I would strongly recommend hitting up the 1UZ Facebook pages. There's a wealth of knowledge on them and you'll see everyone else's solutions to engine and transmission management. It's fun to sit watch and learn.

I'm still happy to help. I'm just saying you can't go wrong with 5000 members and several hundred experts. I learnt a lot on those pages.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 01:48:50 PM »
I can tell you for a certainty that Megasquirt can control the transmission. Specifically the microsqirt.

The topics on this thread seem to be all specific to the engines, transmissions or management thereof. So not really Montero specific questions. Evidently you all know how to do the actual swap? With this in mind I would strongly recommend hitting up the 1UZ Facebook pages. There's a wealth of knowledge on them and you'll see everyone else's solutions to engine and transmission management. It's fun to sit watch and learn.

I'm still happy to help. I'm just saying you can't go wrong with 5000 members and several hundred experts. I learnt a lot on those pages.

Do you have a thread somewhere for your build?  I'd like to pick your brain about the wiring side of things, but am so lost on the trans side in particular that i don't even know what i don't know.  I have megasquirt experience and much as i'd prefer to avoid dealing with one on what is essentially my daily driver, if it's really actually just that easy and can do the transmission side of things as well (easily), then i'm onboard.