Author Topic: A thread about 255/80R17 aka 33X10" on 17" wheels - who's hungry for pizza?  (Read 2545 times)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
In 2015 there were only two tires available in this particular niche,  tall and very narrow fit on a 17" wheel.      Cooper STMaxx and BFGoodrich M/T

It appears now two new contenders have arrived,  Toyo is now selling their Open Country A/T II in this size and Mastercraft Courser is now available in this size.

I have experience with the BFGoodrich M/T (in other sizes) and with the Cooper STMaxx in this size..  Toyo has a good reputation and really I don't know a thing about Mastercraft.

Visually here are the tire tread patterns compared:

Looks can be deceiving but just on appearance alone I would expect that arrangement to be ranked quieter-louder (left to right)

All four are E-rated in that size.  Cooper and BFGoodrich boast 3 ply sidewalls.     

Toyo's boasts a 65k mile tread life guarantee and states that winter traction is "4.5 out of 5" (by their own scale)  but I did not yet confirm the "M+S Snowflake" and their marketing materials do not specifically call out "M+S Rated."

Mastercraft's Courser CXT does not state sidewall strength or tread warranty but does state "M+S Rated"

Cooper's STMaxx specifically advertises sidewall strength, does not state a tread warranty but does state "M+S Rated"

BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain KM2 specifically advertises sidewall strength,  does not offer a tread warranty,  does not state "M+S Rated"  in their marketing materials.

I don't have anything else to add to this at the moment, just random information for anyone wishing to run a 33x10" tire on a 17" wheel.   

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
 Seems like that would be a common size, is there a near match in metric? Also I put those Toyos on Elisa's Montero, they were nice but I thought they were a little noisy for an A/T.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
is there a near match in metric? Also I put those Toyos on Elisa's Montero, they were nice but I thought they were a little noisy for an A/T.

The 255/80R17 is the metric size,  it just also works out to 33x10" for folks who want to know the whole diameter without having to do math and conversions. 

That's too bad about the noisy Toyos they look like they should be less noisy than any of the others.   The Coopers are kind of noisy.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4FuE81X6mU 

Noise isn't the worst thing in the world but some tire companies have proven you can make a quiet AT that's still effective.     I'm probably going to go with the same Coopers again when it's time to replace mine, they've been pretty good so far and you saw the only thing that stopped them was burying the frame in snow.   

I'm excited that more manufacturers are looking at the skinny market,  maybe thanks to the rise in travel adventure (that whole 'overland' thing, which i hate that term) where a skinny tire can offer a few advantages in MPG (on and off highway) and manners/driver fatigue on the highway.

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
I'm running the Toyo AT's on the pajevo, but they may be the AT version before? No real noise though. BUT, I did run them on the gen3 as well (on the same wheels - kind of a neat pajevo trick that it can run gen2 or gen3 wheels). I find the gen3 is noisier in general, I assume because of the monocoque frame, but I wonder if that's why the toyo's were noisy on yours, Adam? In any event, it's apples to pineapples, since mine are not the AT2, but some sort of AT1 if you will.

Also, Shovel, great post as usual. You always successfully manage to weave a narrative into your posts, even when they don't involve adventures on little motorcycles (although that was a personal favorite of mine!) Cheers!

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Mine were 35's on a 1994 SR, maybe the bigger tires are noisier? Not that they were loud but louder than I expected them to be. Having said that they did wear really well and I liked them.