Author Topic: SR Air Locker into 3.5 Sport  (Read 1030 times)

piratemcgee

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
SR Air Locker into 3.5 Sport
« on: June 07, 2017, 05:56:31 AM »
Has anyone successfully transplanted a SR air locker into a 4wd 2000+ 3.5 Sport (4.90s)? If so, what all is involved?

I found one case on the old Sport forum but the write up isn't very detailed and it involved a 2wd Sport.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: SR Air Locker into 3.5 Sport
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 07:21:42 AM »
 It involves swapping in the locking diff, donor axle shaft from a locking Sport (short side) and installing a lighted switch. 4 wires and a hose, very very easy. The hardest part will be wrangling that 3rd member into place.
 Just make sure your new 3rd matches your old one's ratio 4.63 for 4.63.

*Edited with corrected information.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 03:32:52 PM by TOASTY »

piratemcgee

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 10:14:37 AM »
I have a coils with 4.90s. I've also read that the Sport uses a different axle shaft.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 03:30:48 PM »
 You know what I'm dumb, Let's re do this.

So the Sport axles are weird and you're absolutely correct on the different axle shafts, you'll need to get on the Mitsubishi parts program and see if the bare axle shaft for the short side Montero W/ locking diff matches the Sport part number for its equivalent. I have a bunch of shafts for both trucks but I'm missing the two that matter for this comparison, however I can ask Kevin to measure one right side non locked vs my right side unlocked. That would tell us if at least the important side is the same but I doubt it is, I'm thinking it's your best bet to buy an SR diff locally if possible and then buy a Sport short side axle shaft from rock auto.com.