Author Topic: Father/son project Pokemontero  (Read 4300 times)

Mazdax605

• I'm new here!
Father/son project Pokemontero
« on: June 07, 2017, 07:19:47 AM »
Hello all,

I bought a 91 LWB Monetro from Drew on the forum last summer as a father/son first car project for my oldest son(14). It is a fairly clean RS with the V6 in white. The head gaskets are bad or so I hope, as there is oil in the coolant, but it runs good in the short distances we've moved it in my yard.  My son Lucas whom this car os for is a real computer/video game kid, but when we went to see the Monty at Andres house last summer he was really excited about it, and bugging me as to when we would go back up to get it with a trailer. Well a few weeks later when everyones schedules allowed for it I went up with a friend and picke up the Monty. We arrived back home that evening(maybe a Tuesday) around 9:30 PM so my son hadn't seen it in the driveway until the next morning. When I arrived home the next evening from work he was all excited, and wanted to start working on it straight away.

We spent the next few hours messing with the rear doors that didn't want to open. I think one wouldn't open at all, and one woul donly open from the outside handle. I was thinking the worst, but it turned out to just be the mechanisms need lubing, and working a bunch of times to get them operating correctly. Also one of the child safty switches was operated so the door would only open from the outside anyway.

We've come up with the name PokeMontero for a couple of reasons. Number one being it sounds cool, and my son loves Pokemon, and number two being it's probably pretty slow, so it will be pokey. That and the fact that my 74 REPU is called Gumby because of it's green paint, and you have the perfect combination of Gumby, and Pokey aside from the fact that Pokey is red/orange, and the Montero is white, but work with me here. Aslo Pokey is a donkey, and this rig seems to be a donkey as well. Made for all terains, and capable of carrying a lot of stuff.

We've slowly picked away at a few things like getting the bent front bumper, and the skid plates off in anticipation of doing the engine work, and repainting the mirrors that were all chipped up. Well life got in the way, and we haven't gotten much further as it was a long winter, and pretty crappy spring here in New England. However I got the Montero in our garage (Took my beloved RX-7 out) a week or so ago, and we have started in ernest with the engine tear down. Not much has happened, but the hood is off, fan pulled, radiator drained, and hoses removed. It's taking longer than usual as I am trying to teach him as we go along. He's very eager to learn, and I love the time we are spending together.

I'm looking forward to getting more done this weekend, but I have to get a manual. I see that Mitsubishi links is the go to place for online manuals, but I can't seem to be able to find the one specific to our 91. Unless of course one form the 87-88 is the same thing. Unfortunately I'm more old school, and prefer a paper workshop manual. Anyone have one for sale?

Anyway here is the truck in the garage and a picture of the parts we have so far. I'm sure we will need loads more.

Crumb

Re: Father/son project Pokemontero
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 03:12:41 PM »
 I can't wait to do a father/son build! Welcome to the forum. Thanks for contributing.

Drew84

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 08:24:25 PM »
Another truck saved from the clutches of the scrap yard. It would have ended up there if Brad and I didn't swoop in to save it.
Keep your cars analog.
1990 Talon TSi
1991 Galant VR4
1999 Montero "Cold weather"

Mazdax605

• I'm new here!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 08:24:16 AM »
Wrenched with the boy over the past weekend. Made some headway. Broke a bolt for one of the belt tensioners. Need a new bolt, or whole tensioner. I guess I learned that I should have lossened the nut on the pulley first. Probably should have had a manual. Anyway, we got the upper intake off of the engine. Now to try to get the heads off. Well, probably get the accesories off the front of the engine first. Anyone have a tensioner, or the broken bolt I need?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 09:05:28 AM »
Oh man those setbacks...   >:( 

But those are the kind of lessons that are good too,  "Teachable moments"  if you're doing a project with a younger person..       

Your truck is going to be awesome when it's done!

Mazdax605

• I'm new here!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 09:11:18 AM »
I think I fixed the links to the pics. Anyone have a tensioner?

I don't know if it will be awesome when it's done, but hopefully it will be safe, and it will be his with his own sweat, blood, and bonding with the old man.

Mazdax605

• I'm new here!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 01:47:31 PM »
Would you guys pull the entire engine and go over it with a fine tooth comb, or just do the head gaskets in place? we could clean up the whole engine, and engine bay with the engine out of the truck.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 02:49:52 PM »
Would you guys pull the entire engine and go over it with a fine tooth comb, or just do the head gaskets in place? we could clean up the whole engine, and engine bay with the engine out of the truck.

For any repair work outside of general maintenance, I suggest (and prefer) pulling the engine.

I think we've got a Gen 1 V6 AC tensioner kicking around the shop, i'll look for it today.

Mazdax605

• I'm new here!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 08:33:44 AM »
If/when I decide to pull the engine, how does the trans seperate from the engine? I know with the bolts through the bellhousing, but what about the torque convertor? Does it have to be unbolted before seperating the two? I've never pulled the engine in an automatic vehicle.

Thanks,

Chris

Mazdax605

• I'm new here!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 10:00:47 AM »
Hey I was wondering if what I see in front of the A/C condenser on the right side of the truck is an oil cooler? It sure looks like one. Do all of these Montero's have oil coolers, or was this one added by someone?

Crumb

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 08:35:37 PM »
 Montero's have oil and transmission coolers, you should unbolt the torque converter before you pull the motor. It makes it easier.

Mazdax605

• I'm new here!
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 08:04:55 AM »
Worked on the Montero a little last week. Timing belt cover removed, timing belt removed aside from around the crank pulley. Then had to fight with the crank pulley bolt, and harmonic balancer pulley. Finally got all that off, and removed the head bolts on the right side head. Can't seem to get the head totally off as the exhaust manifold is holding onto the studs coming out of the head still. Tried separating the exhaust from the manifold, but the bolts weren't co-operating. Might try to separate the exhaust at the Y-pipe, and see if I can get the head off then.