Author Topic: Gen 2.5 trans fluid: SPIII or not?  (Read 3732 times)

DR1665

• Global Moderator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
Gen 2.5 trans fluid: SPIII or not?
« on: June 19, 2017, 08:48:18 AM »
Saw an interesting conversation on Facebook. Got me wondering...

I was planning on picking up the SP3 trans fluid at the dealer, but if the Eunos SP3 is the same thing and cheaper, I'm interested. I know it's good stuff.

The question is what's the official answer on which trucks do or don't require SP3? It's based on build date, I guess. Figure this would be good info for our search to find.

Plus, I don't have a copy of the FSM on my phone these days.
The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)

PA_JERO

• View Profile
Re: Gen 2.5 trans fluid: SPIII or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 09:37:07 AM »
Sp3 always and for every montero. Sp3 at the dealer is about $1 or $2 more a quart, I can't remember the price on the Eunos. It won't hurt a gen 1 or gen 2 and is actually required in everything from 97 - 06. Piece of mind goes alot further for me. I also noticed a great difference when I took my truck to the dealer and had them do a full service with sp3.

Charly

• lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 09:52:39 AM »
The Eneos I linked is perfectly fine. It is SP III and known to be a quality equivalent. And actually believed to be the same stuff, different bottle, cheaper cost.
K9ADV

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 04:50:39 PM »
 Eneos cost more on our side of town, have Josh bring you some to the shop.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 05:42:05 PM »
If Amsoil has an equivalent, i can hook you guys up as well.  Full disclosure, i'd make at least a dollar off each quart.  :P

Mods, if this is violating advertising stuff, please delete.  I don't make enough money to ruffle them tailfeathers.
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 09:36:39 PM »
Eunos here is $11 per quart. Mitsu branded is $20 per. I bet my evo trans that it's the same stuff. Gen3 and pajevo are each running 6L of it at the moment...

Drew84

• View Profile
    • Auto Off Topic Podcast
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 09:49:12 AM »
Check ebay for sellers with 1/2 cases or cases of OEM SPIII. A Hyundai dealer should also have it in a pinch.
Keep your cars analog.
1990 Talon TSi
1991 Galant VR4
1999 Montero "Cold weather"

Charly

• lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 06:49:07 PM »
I guess people simply refuse to believe that the Eneos SP is a known quality equivalent that is safe for use in our transmissions.
K9ADV

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Global Moderator
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 05:21:06 AM »
Eneos is the same stuff as SP-III. Trouble is, the SP-III can be had locally for $6 per quart at the local Mitsubishi dealer with no shipping and NAPA wants a lot more for the Eneos and they have to order it. I'd have no problem ordering either online as long as I had a reasonable expectation that I was getting what I paid for, it would show up before I needed it and the landed cost was right.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 08:17:01 AM »
I was just at napa yesterday. Eneos was $6.69 a quart. I pay $6.00 a quart at the dealer for Diamond SPlll.

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 07:19:13 AM »
Has anyone here had experience with Amsoil synthetic ATF? I will be running Amsoil on the diffs and tcase and after talking to some guys this weekend at my friends shop they are huge fans of Amsoil products they use on their ATV's and their Mudding trucks.

I was pretty much set on going OEM SPIII (Mitsu or Hyundai) to fill my trans but then this weekend having conversations with those guys and doing a bit more research...it seems the general census agrees that Amsoil ATF for SPIII use is a win. I even came across this from researching where this guy did testing with Kia SPIII to Amsoil ATF and posted the breakdown of the test results using both on the same vehicle with the same milage.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1488922

I signed up to be a Amsoil Preferred customer and I can get the Amsoil atf pretty much cheaper than OEM SPIII retail price.
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

RevBillyG

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 06:20:43 PM »
I'm going to believe what everyone says about ATF fluid but why does the FSM say dexron ii ? whats the issue with that?

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 07:05:43 PM »
That's what throws alot of people off. Early on, it was a big issue with several people using different service centers or lube shops to get transmissions serviced and not much long after, trans failure. Most shops these days have learned, especially with the growth of import vehicles here in the states.

Hopefully before people do any services they find this forum or others to gain knowledge before they let just a random shop mess with there pride and joy.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 08:48:52 PM »
 I remember someone on 4x4wire ran the Mobile 1 full synthetic ATF and the Montero scorched that fluid, they did a before and after oil pan photos as well.