Author Topic: Gen 2.5 trans fluid: SPIII or not?  (Read 3731 times)

Drew84

• View Profile
    • Auto Off Topic Podcast
Re: Gen 2.5 trans fluid: SPIII or not?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
Has anyone here had experience with Amsoil synthetic ATF? I will be running Amsoil on the diffs and tcase and after talking to some guys this weekend at my friends shop they are huge fans of Amsoil products they use on their ATV's and their Mudding trucks.

I was pretty much set on going OEM SPIII (Mitsu or Hyundai) to fill my trans but then this weekend having conversations with those guys and doing a bit more research...it seems the general census agrees that Amsoil ATF for SPIII use is a win. I even came across this from researching where this guy did testing with Kia SPIII to Amsoil ATF and posted the breakdown of the test results using both on the same vehicle with the same milage.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1488922

I signed up to be a Amsoil Preferred customer and I can get the Amsoil atf pretty much cheaper than OEM SPIII retail price.

I've found most guys selling Amsoil are just regular folks who got caught up in a sales pitch like someone selling Mary Kay cosmetics.

OEM SPIII simply JUST works. There really is no reason to chance anything else.  The reason the FSM says Dexron is SPIII as I understand it is a derivative of Dexron, Mitsubishi kept superseding fluids and eventually landed on SPIII.
Keep your cars analog.
1990 Talon TSi
1991 Galant VR4
1999 Montero "Cold weather"

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Global Moderator
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 06:57:30 PM »
Toasty, I remember that post a long time ago about the Mobil 1 ATF on 4x4Wire. Point is, just don't use that one.

I'll second the above feelings on Amsoil, but I will add, it's YOUR transmission. I won't ever buy it from you. Use what you want. I rarely buy any dealer parts, ever, but I bought four cases of Mitsubishi SP-III for a reason. I'm not chancing my very expensive transmission with anything else (plus, AGAIN, it costs less than Eneos here). At six bucks a quart, I can spill some on the ground and still overuse 11 quarts of it to flush out my entire transmission system and spend a grand total of $85, with tax. Why fight it?

John B.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:00:08 PM by JohnnyBfromPeoria »
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 07:39:54 AM »
I membah that, pics of the sludgy Mobil 1 pan.

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 09:04:10 AM »
I respect your opinions and your thoughts...and I appreciate it.

Though I do believe that you can't go wrong with OEM fluids, but I also believe there is possibility for better stuff out there and could be worth a try. I developed this opinion from switching from OEM fluids to Redline fluids on my Galant VR4 and my other Galant which resulted in MUCH better drivetrain performance and operation.

I have been using Amsoil products since 2001 from their oil and even their ATF on my 1st mitsu which was a 95 Galant. Never had a issue with their stuff...if anything I did notice improvement. Through the years I have used their stuff here and there..but mostly used Valvoline and Mobil mainly because they were more accessible to buy and offered more deals/discounts through mainstream stores like Walmart.

I have known many and have friends that have used Amsoil products in their vehicles (Evos, Subies, Hondas, Toyotas, etc etc) and never heard any complaints of experiences issues using their products on their builds.

So from my personal experience and knowing many that have used Amsoil products for over a decade (in other applications besides Monteros) I am pretty confident in using their ATF on mine. I will be happy to report a short term and long term review in this build thread and hopefully opens another option of gear lube and ATF fluid for those thinking of using something else that OEM Mitsu SP3.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:08:20 AM by MrGalantguy »
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam