Author Topic: Changes Afoot For JohnnyB/14th St Crew Divorce  (Read 12498 times)

RyanY

• I'm new here!
Re: Changes Afoot For JohnnyB/14th St Crew Divorce
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 01:09:44 PM »
I guessing you probably know this, having lived in AZ for quite a while, but the big scorpions aren't the ones to worry about - it's the little ones that will hurt you the most because they don't know how to meter their venom when they sting you, you just get allofit.

I used to hunt scorpions with my dad in his backyard - I think our highest count was 55 in one evening. They're not at all aggressive and would rather get away from you and find a cricket to eat than have to sting you, but the problem is that they look like the ground and hide in shoes and so they create the perfect situation for an accidental confrontation, which means you get stung. As much as I appreciate their bug-control capabilities, I personally think it's far better to get rid of them than take the chance of accidentally finding the one that decided to sleep on your pillow.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 10:19:33 PM »
Point taken, Ryan. I'm investing in a big bag of diatomaceous earth to spread around the perimeter of the house, just as a warning to them. I encountered one tonight as I was planting some cat's claw vines along a fence line, a little guy. He met the bottom, not the inside, of my shoe. Sorry little buddy.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

JohnnyBfromPeoria

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2017, 11:06:27 AM »
I'm starting to regard scorpions as an amusement more than anything else. My cat decided to try on a big one that got into the house last week and I was able to distract him long enough for the critter to get away. The scorpion looked like he wanted nothing to do with the cat, fortunately, and the cat was just as cautious as he was curious. I'm not particularly attached to this cat, as you can probably tell.

I found some novel organic fly traps at Home Depot. All you do is cut open the top, pop up a little plastic cap and fill them to the line with water and hang them up. Note to self: Hang them up a long ways away. They smell like hot garbage mixed with raw sewage, but I suppose that's what flies like since the one I put up has a whole freaking bunch of them in it. I pity the fool who ever tries to hang one in the house; that would be flat-out awful.

I hit Kevin's 95 with degreaser and the pressure washer under the hood yesterday so I could see the engine. Yep, just as I thought, there's one in there. Further pointing and head scratching will take place tomorrow when the E.S.C. gets together (minus Toasty, because he has to do domestic things).

John B.
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

Crumb

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2017, 03:19:06 PM »
 Hey, I show up after it doesn't matter anymore.  :D

JohnnyBfromPeoria

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2017, 07:09:05 PM »
It still mattered, plus you brought the good beer that I haven't even gotten to yet. We're gonna be cool!

John B.