Author Topic: Mitsubishi Owners Day 2017 - 100th Anniversary -July 7th-9th- Montero MOD Squad  (Read 3724 times)

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
MOD 2017, Mitsubishi's 100th birthday, this MOD was a special event.

Adventure Driven Design started up one year ago, so this was also near our 1st birthday, making MOD even more special to us.

Last year I attended MOD2016 in my 1979 Galant Station wagon, we had a great time, the collective group was in good spirits, the weather was wonderful and some really fantastic rides were there, including a very rare 70's JDM Galant GTO... One thing I noticed was a lack of 4WD content, plenty of AWD, but not much from the trucks. This didnt strike me as that strange because the Mitsubishi 4WD crowd has always been somewhat fractured, living on many different forums and social media pages. It seemed the Montero community was always a subset of another community or fragmented by model type and rarely housed in the same place. Upon returning from MOD2016 I started to campaign on the forums for 4WD content in 2017, I asked the AZ crew if they would go, Toasty wasnt that into it because there wasnt any wheeling, PA_JERO said he might be interested, but couldnt commit a year out, other guys liked the idea but weren't certain it was worth the drive and figured they might get overlooked and overwhelmed by the Lancer crowd. As the year progressed more people got behind the idea of putting faces to the online names, seeing some of the best built Montero's and somewhere in there, we got started as a company and started to really push the best 'all around' 4x4 platform in the market; the Montero (or raider, sport, mighty max, they're all basically the same system). As the idea built and others became interested, it took on a life of it's own and people started making plans...

Phil Hansford had been wanting to come down since before I asked on forums about interest and he jumped at this chance. When Phil gets into something, his excitement gets others excited. Something like a turbo spooling up...

Fast forward to May of 2017, I was at work on a machine one day and a message came in from the Mitsubishi official instagram profile. The message said they were interested in documenting our journey, they asked how many people were in our crew and who they could speak with. I sent them some information, mostly saying we didn't know solid numbers but it could be between 10-30 vehicles at the event. We set up a time to talk, I told them our company was less than a year old and only two people worked to make ADD, they were surprised, saying that we seemed like a much larger company. This flattered me for a moment and then concerned me, knowing that we weren't what they originally thought we were, I had a slight feeling of doubt on anything panning out. But I tried my best to remain positive and supplied them with as much information as I could. The spokesperson asked for my email address and followed up with a few questions about our numbers and my final estimate was 30 vehicles (spoiler alert; we actually ended up with 35 monteros, 2 delicas and 2 mighty maxes present). Around May 27th the line went dead, I didn't expect much from the beginning so I let it go and continued with our independent plan... MOD, wheeling and camping.

Circumstances cropping up as the days grew closer brought thoughts of failure or plan abandonment which started to create a lot of anxiety, to make matters worse my available time to prepare for the event became less and less. Emails from Phil kept me hopeful, his plans were moving forward, texts and calls informed me folks from far away were trying their best to make the event, this gave me inspiration to push forward, the local crew became excited after hearing of our contact from the mothership, I remained stoic and attempted to not pull my hair out. Meanwhile I still needed to complete my truck... Then I got news that upped the ante to another level... Frank Eck, a long time mitsubishi 4wd enthusiast, connector of communities and figurehead in the social arena, responsible for bringing together or starting most of the social media accounts and facebook groups, and putting them into an organized structure that allows enthusiasts to connect with each other, well, he committed to flying out from Florida for the event.

Well... that settled it. I decided if all these guys are finding a way to make it happen, I will too. Original plans had to be reworked, the adventure was sized down to something more manageable; a long weekend. The research and planning and herding cats, er, I mean coordinating drivers needed to be offloaded from my plate. Forum members, facebook members, friends and family started to speak up with ideas to make it work. The possibility of making this happen seemed far more realistic with a team by my side.

A little on the Buyers' Guide: we had been wanting to put together a simple document to share with everyone answers to questions we get almost every day; which montero fits someone's needs and which montero is the best? They're all the best, but they're very different. Version 1 was supposed to be short and sweet, but as we looked it over, we realized the depth that this document would go. With help from others we started compiling the data, then a wrench dropped into the gears... Driggs truck developed a random misfire and it was either fix the truck, or work on the guide. I told him to abort the guide and get his truck ready for MOD (and for his new job) he wrenched tirelessly in 115F+ weather, got it reliable enough to risk the desert crossing and then smashed out version one the night before MOD. I woke up to leave for MOD on friday and had an email from him with the document. Success!! You can check that out Here: http://www.adventuredrivendesign.com/mitsubishi-4wd-buyers-guide/ It's fully beta mode and will be revised many times over, the experienced owners will know the errors and appreciate the inside jokes, the new guys will enjoy the information.

Contact from Canada:
Days before MOD an influx of photos poured in from Canada, Wade and Phil were in full prep to make it happen, and they were down to the wire. After completing a number of major tasks, it was official, they were going to head out. Excitement and anxiety were at maximum levels in my brain.

Trail Guide: Many thanks to Gian, Dan, Angie and Rain for the work that went into finding this last minute. Trails are easy to find, but places to camp can be scarce in Cali.

Onward to the motherland....
Friday Morning 09:30 we departed from the eastern valley of the Phoenix area and met up with the AZ crew and Canadian Crew on the west side of town, some people were ahead of us already, some behind us, buy we had 7 vehicles in a cluster to make the voyage. Discussions on the heat ahead of us had everyone a little concerned. There's some very long climbs between Phoenix and LA, and the temps were around 115-118 ambient out in the Mad Max wasteland of Interstate 10. Ryan had decided to tow a pop up camper with his Montero, something hes done many times before, but it had everyone a little concerned, he did just fine though. The Canadians were on the verge of heat stroke just from standing in the parking lot and with squinted eyes and sweating  brows they took to the wheel of their rigs and we headed into the furnace.

Photo is from Ryan Yantzer:

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
As we neared the completion of the desert wasteland between LA and Phoenix the heat soaked road was creating a small climate of 124F, our trucks are built for Arizona summers, so heat doesnt concern us most of the time, this heat was causing most of us to turn our AC off for a few minutes at a time. If you've ever done a head gasket on a Montero, you know preserving those head gaskets is worth a little less comfort as you make a long climb. All in all it wasnt that bad, but it was definitely hotter than we expected.

We arricved in Cypress as NorCal crew came down from camp, we all rolled to Mitsu together and were greeted by Frank Eck. Our crew was some of the first people in line to get into the lot for MOD. Our vehicle stickers were mostly single digits, my truck was 0006

As the sun set on the lot, the night before MOD2017, we set up our sleeping quarters and got to talking trucks as the EVO's slowly rolled in. By midnight the lot was mostly full and we had something around 20 Montero's in our section, which was almost full.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
As the night closed we started getting texts and calls from people asking if a lot of trucks showed up, we let everyone know that parking was becoming limited, locals started swarming in to drop their trucks for the night, their plan to return for the event in the morning. A call from Carlos said he was on his was down from the bay area, Ray Sala was somewhere ahead of him. They showed up in the night and when I crawled out of my truck in the morning; I was greeted by more Monteros in one spot than I've ever seen. These photos are from facebook, Alejandro Dmngz was nice enough to share them.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
On the hottest day of the week, with more humidity than normal, we were thankful to be in a group of large and lifted monteros with awnings, camo nets, tables, chairs, coolers and refrigerators. We watched from the shade as the EVO owners stood in the sun talking car talk. Our talk kept circling back to 'when are we leaving, who's going off roading, and what does everyone need before we set out for camp?"

Once we nailed it all down and coordinated our information, we hit the road in search of a dusty trail...

We found the dusty trail that NorCal had set aside for us. It was really hot out, the trail was dusty, dry, rocky and steep, full of switchbacks, tight corners, steep ledges and massive drop-offs, with the promise of tall pines, cooler temps, lots of shade and a view of the valley from the top. A little trail safety was discussed while we waited for stragglers, for some it was their first time out, for others, seasoned vets. After waiting for a while the only people yet to join us were two of the pioneers of the trail Dan and Angie, knowing they would know where to go we decided to get moving and out of the sun, if we could. Unfortunately we ended up in the sun until the very last leg and by then, they had caught up to us. The trail was a lot of fun, just challenging enough to make you work, but easy enough for any stock truck, the views were amazing, the heat pushed up forward, the edges of the trail, sheer drops, terrifying and exhilarating. It couldn't have been a more perfect trail for the situation.

We reached the top, set camp, grilled, drank beers, watched the sun set, chatted with our new friends and caught up with our old ones. The day ran short and we were all exhausted, by midnight the whole camp was asleep, by 6am many of us were up and around, by 7am some of the AZ crew (including myself, in my mostly stock 99) were descending the mountain to get on the road for home before the heat soaked in again. The morning views were spectacular as I looked down over Toasty and PA_JERO hammering on down the mountain ahead of me, their big tires and bilsteins soaked up every bit of terrain, i was slowed to a crawl with my All-terrains and Kill-Your-Back shocks (haven't put this truck on the upgrade path yet)

I couldn't have had a better time, all I could wish for was more time with my friends. Maybe two more days of wheeling and nights under the stars... This means better planning for MOD2018 though, I'm looking forward to seeing all of you there. Thank you to all who contributed, came out, called in, wished you could be there, posted photos, introduced yourselves and just thank-you to everyone involved in this wonderful world of Mitsubishi 4wd, it's been one hell of a ride.

Drive Wild!

DR1665

• Global Moderator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
Hells yes. Next year we do MOD overnight, then hit the trail by noon.
The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)

johneric

• Should have made that left...
    • View Profile
great trip reports! it was really fun meeting everyone - putting a handshake to some of those that helped me along the path was a privilege. as others have expressed, the time was too short to start and finish conversations the way i wanted. i hope to have another shot at it again soon. and thanks to all those who were so kind to my kid - i'm thrilled she's taken an interest and developed as an emotional attachment as i have to our little blue rig

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:59:03 PM by IncorpoRatedX »
1989 Montero SP
3.0L V6 SWB

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
Thank you for sharing...pretty awesome turnout, and even cooler seeing Montero owners getting together.

Going to MOD West coast is a bucket list item for me.
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

Hooots

• View Profile
Great write-up Josh......almost felt like I was there
"AZPAJERO" - 1997 Gen 2 Montero SR, 5.29 gears, 37" tires, Detroit front locker, Factory rear

Follow IG: https://www.instagram.com/azpajero/

commoncrote

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
It was nice to meet those of you I hadn't yet. Such an awesome group of people. Hopefully next year my truck will be there.

I'll post pictures on here soon, still have to edit them.

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
Good God man. Your detailed accounts always amaze and inspire me. And I was there! Lol. Tired tonight, with second load of laundry on, truck emptied inside and out... We've done over 7000kms in the last 10 days so catch up time is in order.

Suffice to say right now that this was the trip of a lifetime. meeting all you guys was THE highlight.

Must sleep now. In a bed with no ladder to climb. More soon.

Phil out.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
 Way awesome meeting everyone, wish we had more time! If I seemed distant or scarce we got about halfway there and BAM the missus started having some lady troubles like big time, kind of derailed our weekend. She toughed it out enough for me to get to meet everyone and hang out and I'm thankful for that. We almost bailed on camping and I'm glad we didn't because that was the best part just getting to kick back with you guys and BS.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
Here's some photos Courtney took. I stole them from her Instagram

This is the car set:

Turbo twin-cam swapped box lancer.

Lancer Celeste

Pristine Galant (76 Dodge Colt)

Lancer-Colt Coupe

Plymouth Arrow truck, in perfect shape

An unassuming, all wheel drive, turbo, tiny terror. A hot hatch.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
Truck photos from camping now:

Phils evo

snailrated

scorpions all on the trail at night

Goldi-Locker on the way down

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
I made a video.    It will not enrich your life.     Dirty words are spoken, rapped, sung and yelped.   

https://youtu.be/7rv0DnCWLkY