Author Topic: October Utah Trip!!!POLISH YOUR BROOMSTICKS BOYS & GIRLS THIS IS GONNA BE FUN!  (Read 19641 times)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
I have revised the trip outline - see this link here:   http://tinyurl.com/RevisedTripSauces

There are some small side trips not specified in that but it gives you a really good idea of our general route and where to start and where to plan on ending.    I will add more details as I have time.

See bottom of this post for equipment requirements.

Noteworthy jams along the way:

Pariah Town of the Dead
They filmed The Outlaw Josey Wales here.     This is our starting/meeting/staging/camp area!   

Cottonwood Canyon Anger Pants Road of Damnation
This road isn't a battle like the old Trona wilderness washboards or anything but I promise you the better your shocks and tires, the bigger your smile will be.    If you're a photographer bring all your filters and toys and stuff.   All of them. 

This

BELIEVE this sign.
I cannot stress enough that if it is raining we will take the paved highway around all of this and we will visit Bryce Canyon or Zion or something.   Your truck is not cool enough to traverse this road in the rain.    

Grosvernor Arch Fancypants Land 
Just a quick side trip for photos or climbing around.   This little stub road is always washboarded   :(

Grand Sights in Kodachrome Basin
We don't actually have to go in there,  it's really more a photographer's toy than anything (as the name implies) but we'll be right by it so if there's time and interest we can go, or not.

These guys make a pretty good pinkies-out fu fu cup of coffee.
Stock up on whatever, they have it.   Fuel and food in town too. 

All of the stars at night.
Clean air and very little light pollution. 

This kind of stuff everywhere

Luxury Accommodations if you like to be a cowboy.   

A stunning descent in a remote canyon carved by water on every surface.

The hopefully-not-closed-or-destroyed Batty-Ass Caves are neat to poke your head in,  take refuge from the sun if it's out.   

The Actual Damn Hole In The Actual Damn Rock where I swear way too many people take these annoying photos.

Levitating Hipster Wizards Hey look it's a guy who jumped and then somebody took a photo. 

Yes we can hike here and yes it's exactly as bad ass as it looks

Not Allowed To Camp Here Anymore Arch which was way, way cooler back when it was legal to camp there. 

My favorite river hike,  even if it doesn't really go anywhere in particular it's so damn refreshing - I think there's only parking for about 6 vehicles at the trail head so if we're a big group or it's full already we will have to pass that.

This is another five mile hike,  and there's camping sort of near it.   Yes, 1000% worth it!!!!

You ain't yodeled till you've yodeled into Burr Canyon.       Bring your lederhosen homey 'cause it's an amazing place to wander around.      This is definitely one of those places that does not care if you die so if you have kids with you,  impart some wisdom by whatever parenting method you prefer. 

Yeah there's some driving out there too

If you have a trailer that bitch better be short. - this is a good place to just shift down into low, 2 wheel drive and let the brakes take a rest.

Then we drive across Lake Powell on a ferry.     Ferry is $25/vehicle or $1.50/ft for vehicles over 20'.     As of right now the ferry is out of service but should be running again by fall.     Ferry service is also subject to closure for random reasons.   There's a go-around which is pretty but also pretty long.   We have a number of good options we can pop into the plan as we get closer if ferry service does not resume this year. 

If we can, we go swimming up in this mofo too!!  - the swimming/kayak/etc opportunities at Hall's Crossing are out of this world. 

Then we cut down the MOKI DUGWAY  and witness the vaguely erotic VALLEY OF THE GODS .. 

You thought we were done?    Then we go HERE 

Then we drive along this shelf road to John's Canyon 

and check out petroglyphs  and I can't find photos except for ancient crappy ones I took, but we camp next to a little river that the local frogs keep pretty insect-free up in John's Canyon.

From there we can choose to entirely ignore the Mexican Hat and then endure the ever mysterious GRAND FALLS where dining or camping is always a good damn time...   

And, finally,  collect our thoughts and gorge ourselves into a cheese coma at PIZZA EDGE in Leupp before splitting off, utterly sick of each others' company and dreading the inevitable return to work since none of us won the lottery.

Like?  No Like?    Suggestions?

100% of the route should be achievable (weather permitting) in a stock, well maintained 4x4 Montero with an attentive driver and quality tires.     Your cooling system, brakes and transmission have to be working properly and you should know how to manage downhill speed with your transmission as there are many, many elevation changes and changes of appropriate speed.   There are some challenging segments but body contact with the terrain is unlikely.  The length, remoteness and variety of work you and your machine will be undertaking are not trivial, this is not a trip for "put it in D and look out the window at the pretty sky" kind of drivers.     If you're new to this kind of terrain you're welcome along we'll keep you nice and safe but come ready and willing to learn and willing to put in some long hours if it comes to it,  you'll have a blast!! 

If you were thinking about a set of Bilsteins,   before this trip is the right time to do it.    You'll be buying them after the trip anyway if you have to learn the hard way ;)

There are about ten million amazing things that this route does NOT take us anywhere near - it's simply not possible to see all of this region in one trip.   

Minimum Equipment Requirements

• Attentive, responsible driver with positive travel attitude
  • Street legal, reliable, maintained 4wd vehicle at least equivalent in capability to a stock Mitsubishi Montero
  • Quality tires in good condition and a good spare, and any tools, wheel locks, etc necessary to change it.
  • Self sufficient camp equipment for everyone in your party (or arrange to share stuff with others in advance)
  • Ability, containment and desire to pack out your trash as we go.
  • Functional tow points on your vehicle
  • Each vehicle needs to get a (free) backcountry camp permit!! We are not part of a group, there is no group permit and each individual vehicle needs one.
  • Every vehicle visiting the Glen Canyon N.R.A. requires either a one time permit or an annual interagency access permit.   The interagency annual permit is the best value by far if you visit parks more than once a year.    Or it's possible to enjoy most of the trip without one just have to avoid being in the Glen Canyon N.R.A. - that's something you can play by ear

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:09:47 PM by Shovel »

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
You sir, know how to create temptation.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Sploosh!

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
If we're going to work with this sketch so far,  we need to do the following:

• Probably get that Man from that Snowy River in on the conversation since I guess he started the conversation in the first place and I don't want to steal his ketchup chips.  He probably has some great ideas too and maybe we can combine the best of both.
  • Decide on how much hiking, swimming and other not-behind-the-wheel action we want (I want a lot)
  • Decide how many days we really want this to take.    We will be meeting either in Flagstaff or somewhere way North of there so we have to factor in travel time to/from there too.
  • We should probably work on getting a head count and equipment roster by no later than 2 weeks before the trip so we can make sure that every route is truly accessible to everybody's equipment, skill and physical capabilities.   Any unique circumstances will need to be worked in (Physically handicapped?  Got small children with you?  Gas tank smashed in so you can only carry 2 gallons of fuel?)   We will also need to make sure that any camping spots we plan to use have sufficient room.
  • Discuss on-trail communications
  • Coordinate equipment preparation if anyone needs a wrench party to get their rig ready

This proposed trip contains minor off-camber and not a lot of heavy rock crawling so it's OK to bring a modest rig but there are long miles on unimproved roads, a ton of climbing and descending and a wide variety of temperatures and surface types so if you've been neglecting maintenance or cheaping out on tires this trip will show you why good equipment is called good equipment.     Police in Southern Utah would very strongly appreciate your compliance with speed and traffic regulations and if you wish to fully comply with the law you should be aware that the import into Utah of beverages containing more than 3.2% alcohol is considered a misdemeanor.     There are not many facilities for repair or recovery so if you have a mechanical or medical problem on the trip you can expect that to hurt financially.        Expect that foolish behavior around the local animals, unguarded cliffs,  flood washes, etc will result in you being liberated from your earthly obligations for all of eternity. 

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
I like bullet points.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
 Shovel, you are  the ring leader. As of right meow Lloyd is out with a scheduling conflict, so you'll have to rely on our collective input. Most likely we'll all just roll with your plan. 

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
So with guys coming from the bay area and Oregon i think Az crew should meet in Flagstaff on Sunday and be at the Start Camp that evening. Starting the trail Monday morning, that gives the farther away guys an entire weekend to get to camp. Plus we can post up "Be in this place at this time for a fun adventure!". The sooner we get a date range going the better for guys needing to take time off of work.
 I'm just taking the entire second week of October off so that I'm covered.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
Removed chatter for disambiguation.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:52:16 AM by Shovel »

BottomFeeder

• View Profile
I am following this post and am very interested in joining the fun.  Really depends on the dates tho.
1990 LS, 2" Body Lift, 33's, Dual LSD
1995 SR, 1.5 Body Lift, 33's
1999 Winter Package

DanfromMesa

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Excites
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 09:31:22 PM »
I've always got a lot going on but would love to join! I've been reading up and it sounds like a blast!!

PA_JERO

• View Profile
I learned something interesting about that first weekend. Adam and I are probably obligated to our friend James wedding. We may have to make the official meet date at the least on sunday, or maybe even monday. That would be the 8th or 9th of october. Which actually works in adams suggestion for allowing dudes from out of state the time to travel over. My suggestion for ease and not making guys with less experience find our location, make it a marked camp area so people can at least map to it. Maybe something with cell signal?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
That's a really good suggestion -

I can do any dates pretty much,  so for picking dates I will leave that up to people with other obligations.   

The camp at Lees Ferry is by far the easiest to find because it's a real, pay money to camp there campsite with signs and everything - but I've never had cell service there (it's in a canyon) and also it's part of the National Parks service so you need a federal interagency pass plus the price of a campsite so that automatically adds $90 to everybody's trip just to show up there.      I usually buy an interagency pass every year but haven't yet this year and circumstances having to do with monteros right now have burned through my recreation budget so..  every bit counts.

If everybody is OK with it,  let's do the Paria river camp.     It's closest to our true start and it means if anybody's coming from up North they don't have to drive all the way down into Arizona first.  I don't know for sure if there's cell service there but it's really easy to find and pretty much no chance of anyone having terrain-related challenges before meeting up with the group.   

People who arrive early will have plenty of exploring to enjoy,  or just cold ones in the shade by the gentle river.   People who arrive late should have no difficulty with navigation even if there's no cell service.    Once you leave the highway it's a straight, graded dirt road to "town" and all you have to do is keep going past "town" exactly one mile until you're at the river.     You'd have to try pretty hard to get lost.

I believe Utah-legal Cold Ones can be purchased at the 76 station just inside the state after you cross the border on 89,  or a few miles West of the Paria turn-off at Kanab if anyone wants or needs any Ones of the Cold variety.      There will be no further opportunities for buying Cold Ones until the following day when we arrive in Escalante around lunch time-ish.    I believe that such purchases can only be made after 11:30AM and maybe Kanab has a state run store for the hard stuff but otherwise convenience stores and the shops in Escalante will only have good ol 3.2 .   

Map link to proposed meet-up campsite

From within Phoenix that is a solid 6 hour drive in perfect conditions with no lollygagging.   From there to where our real journey begins it's an easy 30 minute cruise.   

How's that sound? 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:11:42 AM by Shovel »

PA_JERO

• View Profile
Ok, how many days is a comfortable amount from the meet point for official trail/adventure time? What is good amount to you? We from az lose 2 days automatically cause of travel to start and travel from finish. California guys may lose 4 total days in travel.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
Ok, how many days is a comfortable amount from the meet point for official trail/adventure time?

TL;DR - Four whole days from start at Paria to end at Flagstaff.    Possible to just return to Phoenix at a reasonable hour on day 4 if you have to

From Paria there's about 200 miles driving to where I think we'd be able to do a pretty stellar camp the next night.    About 150 of those are on dirt.     If we're all in pretty good rigs we can blast the majority of that pretty fast and only really spend 6 hours actually driving while still really taking in the beauty of it.      We can budget ourselves 8 hours behind the wheel time which means averaging 25mph and I think that's an easy average to maintain on that terrain.      That gives us I think a good amount of time to see and experience what's on the way, so we won't be hurried really.   There's also a way to cut easily an hour off the travel time if we arrive at our mid point way later than we planned on. 

Day 2 is about 120 miles,  maybe half on dirt.    Pretty fast.   But a lot of really good hiking opportunities.      We could go farther if all we wanted to do is drive but I'm trying to work this out for maximum fun and maximum "Wow" so for example I'm  hoping to give everyone a special day 3 morning "Wow" to wake up to.   

Day 3 is 155 miles.   A fair bit of is graded dirt (high speed) roads but also includes a ferry boat ride OR a 60-mile additional detour.   The detour kinda doesn't take much longer than the ferry,  and really by the time you factor in scheduling around the ferry it's faster to just take the detour but I really think the ferry ride is a memorable treat.   If it's running.    The last 8-10 miles on day 3 can be sort of rugged and slow but should be still safe for damage-free Montero travel.   

Day 4 can be between 200 and 240 miles, and can be either 90% highway or 90% dirt (two different ways to get there) depending how we're all feeling.   Day 4 also dumps us out near Leupp, just up the road from Flagstaff.       From our destination near Leupp some days it's amazing to camp there and some days it's not..   really dependent on the weather.    So we can choose to camp there or if we're not feeling it I have a couple favorite spots not far from there that I think the Arizona crew will particularly like.       

At the end of Day 4 we'll be either near Flagstaff or even closer to Phoenix, which means if anyone needs to return home immediately they can be in Phoenix that night.     Or if we do the camp-out,  getting home the next day will be chill too.

I think doing it this way gives us all a lot of time to truly enjoy where we are and not just be behind the wheel the whole time.    There's a lot of ground to cover, so we will burn some gas but we need feet-in-the-river time too.    And campfire bullshit time.   

Canyonero

• AZ CREW
  • I need a nap
    • View Profile
I'm going to have to spend some time figuring out what the issues with my truck are. Could be anywhere from:

Badly leaking valve stem seals clogged the cat, causing the extreme loss of power and drivability.

To

After 60K the rebuild let loose.

Or anywhere in between I guess. Plus the front end is all loosey-goosey again, so some siberian bushings, upgraded idler, and shocks may be in order. I rebuilt the front end with all Moog parts probably 50K ago, and it seems their quality has degraded over the years. Truck wanders all over the place on pavement. Not sure of the condition of the trailing arm bushings, but at 175K on the OEM bushings they may need some attention as well. And after sitting for 1.5 years, I need to inspect the tires for dry rot and such.

Or figure out a way to do the V8 swap and associated wiring prior to October. Not sure I'm up to that right now, and I don't know if I want to take on a journey of that distance on a swap without proper testing, to have the confidence in the rig to get me where I want to go.

Lots of variables...
1995 Montero SR
2" Body Lift
35"x 12" Cooper Discover STT tires
Currently dead but working on it.

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS - Daily Driver