Author Topic: October Utah Trip!!!POLISH YOUR BROOMSTICKS BOYS & GIRLS THIS IS GONNA BE FUN!  (Read 15713 times)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
Ok, how many days is a comfortable amount from the meet point for official trail/adventure time?

TL;DR - Four whole days from start at Paria to end at Flagstaff.    Possible to just return to Phoenix at a reasonable hour on day 4 if you have to

From Paria there's about 200 miles driving to where I think we'd be able to do a pretty stellar camp the next night.    About 150 of those are on dirt.     If we're all in pretty good rigs we can blast the majority of that pretty fast and only really spend 6 hours actually driving while still really taking in the beauty of it.      We can budget ourselves 8 hours behind the wheel time which means averaging 25mph and I think that's an easy average to maintain on that terrain.      That gives us I think a good amount of time to see and experience what's on the way, so we won't be hurried really.   There's also a way to cut easily an hour off the travel time if we arrive at our mid point way later than we planned on. 

Day 2 is about 120 miles,  maybe half on dirt.    Pretty fast.   But a lot of really good hiking opportunities.      We could go farther if all we wanted to do is drive but I'm trying to work this out for maximum fun and maximum "Wow" so for example I'm  hoping to give everyone a special day 3 morning "Wow" to wake up to.   

Day 3 is 155 miles.   A fair bit of is graded dirt (high speed) roads but also includes a ferry boat ride OR a 60-mile additional detour.   The detour kinda doesn't take much longer than the ferry,  and really by the time you factor in scheduling around the ferry it's faster to just take the detour but I really think the ferry ride is a memorable treat.   If it's running.    The last 8-10 miles on day 3 can be sort of rugged and slow but should be still safe for damage-free Montero travel.   

Day 4 can be between 200 and 240 miles, and can be either 90% highway or 90% dirt (two different ways to get there) depending how we're all feeling.   Day 4 also dumps us out near Leupp, just up the road from Flagstaff.       From our destination near Leupp some days it's amazing to camp there and some days it's not..   really dependent on the weather.    So we can choose to camp there or if we're not feeling it I have a couple favorite spots not far from there that I think the Arizona crew will particularly like.       

At the end of Day 4 we'll be either near Flagstaff or even closer to Phoenix, which means if anyone needs to return home immediately they can be in Phoenix that night.     Or if we do the camp-out,  getting home the next day will be chill too.

I think doing it this way gives us all a lot of time to truly enjoy where we are and not just be behind the wheel the whole time.    There's a lot of ground to cover, so we will burn some gas but we need feet-in-the-river time too.    And campfire bullshit time.   

Oso

• Mr Wonderful
  • Half the lies told about me aren't true.
    • View Profile
We might add a couple days before or after to visit Toroweap if anyone wants to consider joining.
90 LS - not your average bear.  <((I))>

"You are what you are, and you ain't what you ain't."
 - John Prine

Canyonero

• AZ CREW
  • I need a nap
    • View Profile
I'm going to have to spend some time figuring out what the issues with my truck are. Could be anywhere from:

Badly leaking valve stem seals clogged the cat, causing the extreme loss of power and drivability.

To

After 60K the rebuild let loose.

Or anywhere in between I guess. Plus the front end is all loosey-goosey again, so some siberian bushings, upgraded idler, and shocks may be in order. I rebuilt the front end with all Moog parts probably 50K ago, and it seems their quality has degraded over the years. Truck wanders all over the place on pavement. Not sure of the condition of the trailing arm bushings, but at 175K on the OEM bushings they may need some attention as well. And after sitting for 1.5 years, I need to inspect the tires for dry rot and such.

Or figure out a way to do the V8 swap and associated wiring prior to October. Not sure I'm up to that right now, and I don't know if I want to take on a journey of that distance on a swap without proper testing, to have the confidence in the rig to get me where I want to go.

Lots of variables...
1995 Montero SR
2" Body Lift
35"x 12" Cooper Discover STT tires
Currently dead but working on it.

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS - Daily Driver

PA_JERO

• View Profile
One other interesting fact.... I live within a drunked 5 min walk away. So, as we once did before, we can stand over your truck and look and throw ideas out as we drink cold beverages. Poly bushings and steering stuff can happen in a weekend. That can't stop you from attending the utah trip. Let's figure out the oil burning issue and power loss. A compression test could tell us alot.

PA_JERO

• View Profile
I also owe canyonero money for sliders, or just to buy some sliders. Let me know when your ready and we can get those bad boys coming for you.

Canyonero

• AZ CREW
  • I need a nap
    • View Profile
Ah, forgot all about those. Life kind of took me out of my game for a while fellas, so I apologize for being absent for so long. This kind of motivates me to get back to the doctor and get fixed up once and for all so I can get back to living instead of just existing.

ADD planning on offering sliders at some point, or are we still using the Toyota ones?

Appreciate the offers for help fellas. I'm not quite as physically able as I was a couple of years ago, so I'd be in your debt. Nothing too serious, but I fatigue very easily.

I'd really like to get back involved with the group and do some exploring. Been too long. Cheers!
1995 Montero SR
2" Body Lift
35"x 12" Cooper Discover STT tires
Currently dead but working on it.

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS - Daily Driver

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Hooray! We can do this!

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
View from Day 2

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile

bugshield

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
I'm interested!

PA_JERO

• View Profile
Time is nearing fellas. Hopefully everybody is getting there trucks all sorted out. I'm pulling my motor some time this week probably and tearing it down to do some major tlc.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
Time is nearing fellas. Hopefully everybody is getting there trucks all sorted out. I'm pulling my motor some time this week probably and tearing it down to do some major tlc.

I have a motor to pull too but hopefully not in the Montero I'll be taking on this run.     On the plus side I have another truck with 0 problems I can take, it's just not a Montero. 

Oso

• Mr Wonderful
    • View Profile
Dialing my rig in. Have to pull the engine or transmission to access the trans seal. Shouldn't take anymore than a week NC. Otherwise I'm pretty much ready to go minus the bilsteins on the wish list.

- John Prine

Oso

• Mr Wonderful
    • View Profile
Starting to set up my October calendar. Have the dates been set yet?

- John Prine

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
Starting to set up my October calendar. Have the dates been set yet?

I don't think anything's been laser etched in anybody's windshield yet but it's looking like this:
  • Sunday 8 October 2017 - Meet in Paria, UT at the riverbank North of the "Movie Set" disappointment sector.  Open arrival at any time.
  • Monday 9 October 2017 - Break camp not too late (we don't need to do this at sunrise but we should not lollygag) and travel to the vicinity of Hole In The Rock.  Scenic driving day.
  • Tuesday 10 October 2017 -  Make our way to canyonlands North of Powell.  Less driving, more recreational day.
  • Wednesday 11 October 2017 - Ferry or bypass Powell,  make camp in John's Canyon.  Scenic day, hopefully some swimming.
  • Thursday 12 October 2017 - Journey South to Grand Falls and either camp there (if the weather is favorable) or make our way to alternate camp option in the direction of Phoenix,  early departures OK too.  Scenic driving day.
  • Friday 13 October 2017 - return home for those who camped Thurs night.  GTFHome day.

This should allow anyone coming from a long distance to work Friday and still get to camp Sunday even from as far away as Vancouver or the Mississippi.    There's plenty of relaxation and exploring to do all around the meet up area for early arrivals.   And a nice enclosed pit toilet.