Author Topic: October Utah Trip!!!POLISH YOUR BROOMSTICKS BOYS & GIRLS THIS IS GONNA BE FUN!  (Read 21099 times)

PA_JERO

• View Profile
The baofeng does kick a ton of ass, im with toasty. Maybe I'll snag a couple of those before the trip and share what I purchased if any of yous are interested.

bugshield

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
It looks like the Boefang units operate VHF/UHF (2m/70cm).  I have a couple handheld units that operate there as well.

As long as I'm asking the hard questions, does anyone have the planned route in .gpx form or know how to export/convert it?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!

As long as I'm asking the hard questions, does anyone have the planned route in .gpx form or know how to export/convert it?

That's going to be another one of those.. uhh..  not exactly.      The route planning on this has been just on personal memory of having been out that way once or twice.     Each day has optional changes available based on time,  possible closures,  unforseen events or group prerogative so I'm going at this fully prepared to adapt the trip as needed. 

If you need me to make a generalized,  sort of low resolution .gpx with major landmarks/turns I can probably put something together.     

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
Since we're somewhere around a month out,  let's confirm a couple things:

• Does anyone have physical or vehicular challenges that we should be sure to accommodate?   If you're in a wheelchair,  scared of heights,  need to take frequent bathroom breaks,  have small children with you,  need daily check-ins with your parole officer,  whatever..    it's easiest if we can get that worked into our plans early so we can fit that stuff in without impacting the journey for anybody.
  • This trip is going to burn a few tanks of gas,  we might be covering in the neighborhood of 700 miles from the beginning to the end of the trip NOT including the drive you make to arrive at camp or the return home from the last day.   You also need to be able to haul enough food for yourself and your party,  and have enough meal prep equipment and all that sort of stuff for yourself.   We'll be going through various small towns so don't feel like you have to pack for a month in the Congo or anything - technically a person could just get their daily food at convenience stores and not be at risk of starvation.     Having said that - does everyone have their finances, equipment and vehicle in order for this trip?   Does anybody need any equipment they don't have?    We have multiple vehicles going so if you need a stove chances are somebody else is bringing one - most of us are generous folk and would let you use it but it's best to ask that question before the trip to make sure  you're covered.  If you need to keep a small item cold and you don't have a good ice chest, someone else might be bringing one.    This is a good opportunity to coordinate these things. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 11:17:19 AM by Shovel »

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
Shovel, when are you leaving out?

John B.

I think some time Sunday morning is good,  like not painfully early but not 11:59AM either.     You want to convoy?

PA_JERO

• View Profile
I'll have the girls, but no connie. This is her one and only break for the next 10 years, so I told her to enjoy it. But we are pretty much good, we should have all important items needed. I will bring a jerry can for extra fuel, but obviously we will have a convenient store / fuel station stop or stops?

bugshield

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile

That's going to be another one of those.. uhh..  not exactly.      The route planning on this has been just on personal memory of having been out that way once or twice.     Each day has optional changes available based on time,  possible closures,  unforseen events or group prerogative so I'm going at this fully prepared to adapt the trip as needed. 

If you need me to make a generalized,  sort of low resolution .gpx with major landmarks/turns I can probably put something together.   

Thanks for the .gpx with camp-1 waypoints.  I understand the plan may be fluid but I was able to convert the original Google Maps route to .gpx thanks to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Global Moderator
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
    • View Profile
I'll follow you, Shovel. It's just easier if I don't know where we're going, what we're doing or when we'll stop. I'll be on vacation, the first one I'll really have had in years. Cruise control, a full tank of gas and iced tea and I'll be fine.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
I will bring a jerry can for extra fuel, but obviously we will have a convenient store / fuel station stop or stops?

I think the longest stretch possible for no fuel is around 160 miles.      From either direction to start camp (whether you go through Kayenta or Page) it's about 40 miles to the nearest fuel and from start camp the next fuel opportunity is around 100 miles.       

So if we arrive at start camp with full tanks (minus 40 miles..) and we take the logical opportunities to top up we should be able to avoid tense situations regarding fuel.   

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
Cruise control,

I don't know how my Montero climbs yet,  assuming that's the coach I'm driving.  So let me apologize in advance if it's a bit slow up those grades.     

The Ram climbs fine but punishes me financially at the gas pump for asking it to. 

Anyway we'll be Team FRS Radio so if you want to offer me words of encouragement for maximum cruise control efficiency I'll be a good listener.   

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Uhh, about all I can tell you is it's not the most accurate cruise control out there; it'll let speed waver a bit, AND, it kicks out automatically when you're climbing hills and the actual speed drops more than 10 mph below set speed. That happens a lot, so have your foot near the accelerator.

You bringing some sweet jams?

John B.
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile

You bringing some sweet jams?

John B.

I'm strapping PA speakers to the roof & just playing this on repeat for five days straight with the knob turned all the way  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXiUb1sI_Ak

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
attract some of the guys

( ^◡^)っ  ╰⋃╯

I'm guessing that there may be a few who are interested but will be completely new to this. Maybe a gear list would be helpful?

Sure I can probably do some sort of.. a thing.   

The original post has a minimum equipment list:

That doesn't really go into details on what exactly constitutes "self sufficient camp equipment" but I think everything else on the list is.. clear.  Right?   

All right,  we've always enjoyed the luxury of knowing each other for most of these trips so there's been no need to lay down the law but I guess I'll go ahead and say it once and for all. 

We're going to be spending some real money on fuel and the only way around that fact is to stay home  Also if the ferry's running that's going to be cash too, so have paper cash dollars for the ferry.    And if you have an emergency, it's going to be more expensive than the same emergency in your home town.      Price of adventuring.

The roads are not suited to trailers.    If you bring a trailer you may have a bad time which will be your fault.   

This isn't a shooting trip.   2nd Amendment is fine but save your powder for another trip OK?    Think REI not Bass Pro.

If you've never camped out in true wilderness before it's crucial that you understand that our continued access depends on our respect for the land.    If you're trashing the place, driving off trail for no reason,  brandishing firearms,  becoming a drunken wreck or otherwise being uncool things aren't going to go well for you and we're all going to think you're a dick.     

There is no off road driving anywhere that we're going.    We will be driving off pavement for much of our journey but these are legally roads, and real traffic laws apply.   I'm not a cop but if you're pounding four lokos and driving a vehicle that's not the way you earn peoples' respect. 

Children are welcome!   I know Pa_Jero's bringing his daughters and it's always good to bring the next generation up with good influences and experiences so they can be cool when they're old like us.     This is still the wilderness and the wilderness doesn't care one bit about your safety or your kids,  so if you're bringing children the drive up is a good opportunity to point at the cliffs you'll be driving past and tell them about how dead they're going to die if they screw around too close to one, and how they're going to miss out on all the spicy memes fresh outta kekistan this holiday season.

Weather - expect days in the mid 70s (F) and nights in the high 30s to mid 40s probably.    We're going to be living at a bunch of different altitudes and in at least three distinct microclimates so.. you know,  just plan on 30 to 80F and you'll be solid.    Rain unlikely.    Moderate wind possible.   Low humidity.

Pooping is a thing that happens.  At start camp there's a brick outhouse!    There are also a few more pit toilets randomly along the way and I might even mention them before we reach them so people can sort themselves out without having to dig a hole.    We'll also be going through some towns where you can poop into a real toilet like a sophisticated lady or gentleman.      Or you can dig a hole.     Just don't be a disaster about it OK?   Things don't break down in the desert as fast as they do other places. 

Wildlife..   well there's not much out there along our specific route really.   Be watchful for deer and elk in areas populated by trees,  expect that places where spiders might live will probably have spiders and some of them are the bitey kind.   Fall is when a lot of spiders are getting their affairs in order to die so they're more mobile,  you might see them wandering around.    This is the natural habitat of the Great Basin rattlesnake so those dudes will be out and about,  they usually keep to themselves though.   Just don't go running through tall grass and stuff.     There are 9 species of scorpions,  but again not really something we're going to be troubled by in most of the places we're going.   There's like.. badgers and black bears and porcupines and wildcats - really doubt we'll see any but this is their territory, sort of.   Like it wouldn't be a big surprise to see them but we probably won't.     Not a whole lot of mosquitoes,  and the stupid gnat things are usually all gone by fall.

If you bring your dog you should plan to keep 'em on a leash where appropriate.    It's an actual crime in Utah to let your pets harass wildlife,  and an elk will straight up murder any dog any time they have no compassion for barking things all up in their face. 

As mentioned earlier in this conversation it's a misdemeanor to get caught bringing in booze from out of state into Utah.     If you come into Utah through Kanab you can buy good ol' 3.2 there after 11:30AM .    There are no Utah mini marts that I'm aware of between Glen Canyon Dam and Pariah.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All right so what's good stuff to bring? 

You're probably going to want to eat food at some point.    Depending what time you roll into camp you may want to make dinner for yourself Sunday night or just get dinner in one of the towns on approach (Page or Kanab) .     There is food (both prepared and groceries) in Escalante mid day on Monday,   there's a grill that may or may not be open in Boulder on Tuesday,  there's a sort of general mart at Bullfrog on Wednesday,  Thursday we may have the good fortune of encountering a tamale lady (but can't count on it). 

You're going to want lighting of some sort.  Flashlights or lanterns or both.     So you don't step on any snakes or whatever when you tiptoe off for a midnight wazz.

Probably will want some way of washing yo' filthy self..   baby wipes are p. rad for this just don't forget to have a trash bag or something. 

Don't forget to bring a seat for every butt in your party!     And remind me not to forget also because I'm dumb and forget sometimes.

Sleeping arrangements, remember it's going to get down into the 30s but probably not freezing.    Sleep however you want, it's usually pretty safe and most of where we're going to be is suited to ground tents, cots, tentcots, cowboy style, whatever your flavor.      Especially large tents may be a challenge in some places.     Personally I'll be most likely in a dome tent on the ground or the bed of my pickup if the Montero's not ready to roll. 

There's really not much in the way of firewood deadfall out there so maybe we should all bring a little.     Don't bring a chainsaw or anything silly like that.    Note that I have not yet checked the specific fire restrictions yet so there is a possibility we'll have to camp without fires at all.

That's a lot of words.   Anything else you need to know, ask and I'll type more words I guess.   

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:37:17 AM by Shovel »

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Oh, O.K., I know the music is taken care of then. Carry on.

John B.

Justice

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
I'm going to see if I can make it. At this point I'd say "remotely possible" that could change though.