Author Topic: Get Organized! Get Things Done! (Fezzik Project Master)  (Read 1601 times)

DR1665

• the agile gearhead
Get Organized! Get Things Done! (Fezzik Project Master)
« on: July 11, 2017, 03:56:42 PM »
I'm always discovering things I'd like to fix or upgrade on Fezzik. Problem is, I tend to forget most of them until something has to be fixed.

Example: I've known my voltage regulator is on its last legs and I need to R&R the alternator. Have I done anything about it but worry every time it drops to 10V and my AC blower starts running slow? Nope. But you better believe I was pissed at all the money I spent chasing that P0303 misfire code the week before MOD17--because I could have used that money to replace the alternator. Know what I mean?

A long time ago, back when I was building a rally car, my good friend Kris told me one of his secrets. You open a new spreadsheet and start listing everything that needs done to the vehicle. Then you start filling in other info: urgency, difficulty, budget, etc. The idea being, if you can only scrape together $20 a week to put towards the project, you now have a list to help you put that $20 to good use. Run out of $20 projects? No problem. Start putting those bills someplace safe and start tackling the $40 projects every other weekend. When you've finished the $40 projects, move on to the $80 ones, and so on.

I've been meaning to put such a sheet together for years. For. Years. And today I've finally done it.
Check it out here! You should probably be able to download a copy to play with, too.

Fezzik needs a lot of work, but surprisingly, very little is critical. The past week, that damned misfire had me shopping used Mirages and Outlanders at the local dealership. Figure, if I can swing a $300/month car payment, surely I can afford to put $100/month into Fezzik to keep this sort of shit from happening again in the future.

Brick by brick. Piece by piece. We'll get there. I hope this helps you--or somebody you know--get there, too.

Curious what you think...
The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
Re: Get Organized! Get Things Done! (Fezzik Project Master)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 12:29:28 PM »
Brian...I think this is something that is almost common especially with older cars. Essentially when they were built...EVERYTHING on it was new but as the vehicle has been running and factors like maintenance, driving habits, environment, etc etc come into play...parts of the vehicle will wear and age at different rates along with the major factor ...vehicle age.

So when we buy them used...we never know the true condition of the car, even if we are precautious prior to buying it. So we replace 1 or 2 parts here then unexpectedly another issue arises and so on and so forth, a domino effect of potential issues. Obviously a well taken care of used car will less likely give these issues...I have been fortunate to own a couple well taken care of used vehicles but I also have had my share of some that weren't and had to deal with issue after issue.

I have yet to get a impression on my 98 Montero...ever since I got it I started tearing it down for vital maintenance work. So far signs are good...I didn't see anything alarming of neglect while taking it apart, only the usual oil leak from the VC gaskets that was noticeable. Hopefully when I finally get it road operational it won't give me issues...judging how well it looked inside and outside and its long list of maintenance history via Carfax.
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 01:07:05 PM »
Love the format Brian, I'm going to download a copy and replicate this to manage the 7 Mitsubishi's in our fleet. Seven isn't bad, between 3 people, right?  ;D

jaccox

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 03:09:47 PM »
You'll be glad you ground the alternator. I personally believe that is the problem with aftermarket alternators not playing nicely with our vehicles (other than cheap ones just having loose stuff). I upgraded to a 150 amp alternator and went to 4AWG power and grounded the alternator properly from the back casing. Haven't had the glimmer of a problem from my alternator since upgrading the grounds, adding the alternator ground and upgrading the power line to 4AWG. The list is a cool idea too. I find myself making small upgrade lists as well but then i start throwing it away. I may use this idea and keep one saved on the computer at all times.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.