Author Topic: brake noises - rotors at service limit?  (Read 3583 times)

DR1665

• the agile gearhead
Re: brake noises - rotors at service limit?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 06:02:14 PM »
For the record, rear pads were down to the feelers.

Likely original, too, as the caliper bolts were untouched.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Definitely want to do the rotor, pad, braided lines, speed bleeders upgrade all around, but needed to fund more critical issues. Besides, rear brakes last forever, relatively speaking.

The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
Re: brake noises - rotors at service limit?
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 03:27:43 AM »
I had the same set of issues with my 95 and the Gen 1's the 14th St Crew was working with the last couple of years. The inner rear pad is invisible on a Gen 2 until you take the caliper off. That'll be the culprit and will have eroded to the point of trashing the rotor. Replace rotors and pads; I don't even know if there's a spec for minimum thickness on those, and if there's deep scratches (likely), they're toast anyway.

I also will never again attempt to rebuild calipers, drum brake cylinders or even carburetors. Life's too short.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero