Author Topic: How do I...?  (Read 2077 times)

DR1665

• Administrator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
How do I...?
« on: July 16, 2017, 06:22:39 PM »
Every board is a little different. Here's some tricks you might want to know...

Karma | See the little arrows under everyone's name but yours? That's Karma. You have to have 25 posts before you can use it, but it's a simple way of giving others credit for helpful (or not so helpful) posts. You have to wait 48hrs to rate someone again, so let's not try gaming it. Be generous with the praise, and very considered in your criticisms. We'll all be better for it.

Inline Images | Let's put images inline, instead of piled up at the bottom of our posts. Upload like usual, then click the "Insert image #" link next to the file once it's uploaded. Your images will be auto-scaled to no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side. This should make write-ups and trip reports a lot nicer to read.

One troubling thing about this image mod is that you can't preview the images before the post is published. The simple workaround is insert your pictures and publish. Once you've published, the images are uploaded to the server and can be viewed in a post preview when you go in to edit.

Thanks, guys. Hope this helps.
The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: How do I...?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 04:36:07 PM »
 What about if an old post no longer allows an edit?

Mr.Galantguy needs halp.

DR1665

• Administrator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 04:59:14 PM »
What about if an old post no longer allows an edit?

Mr.Galantguy needs halp.

Sorry, Kevin!

The default courtesy window to edit posts is 90 seconds. I've just turned that timer off. For the month of August, you'll be able to go back and edit any of your old posts.

We'll turn it back on—with the longest, reasonable courtesy window possible—next month.

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 06:58:19 PM »
Yay!

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 06:58:49 AM »
Thank you gentlemen ...much appreciated.  8)

I was able to update my thread and replace all the Photobucket links on my build thread!
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
Re: How do I? More tips and tricks
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 04:26:59 PM »
Thought it might be helpful to add a little more here, now that we are assembling more members?

A few hints, esp for those who maybe aren't used to forum software like us old timers.

New Posts: The easiest way to check for new posts is not to go to the forum list and then go into every sub individually. Although that does work, its much quicker to use the "Show unread posts since last visit". Its right up in the lefthand corner there. Right now even. Right underneath the "Drive Wild" patch logo. Right underneath where the forum says hello to you by name. Try it! You'll only see posts created since you were here last. If you want to streamline that even further, click "Show new replies to your posts" to see only the stuff you started.

Signature: If you go to your profile and edit your signature to show your rig particulars, then you won't have to tell folks every time what you drive. Unless, like some of us, you have more than one, and then you may have to specify. Also, if you start a build thread (What? You haven't made a build thread yet? Why not? It doesn't have to be super-Toasty-cool to be a build thread. It can be lame like mine.) you can link it to your signature. Then if folks wanna know more about that cool rig of yours, they can check it out.

Images: Sometimes, esp with the size of pics these days, uploads time out. If I'm on anything other than a desktop wired to the net, I usually try to keep to 4 pics or so at a time to upload. Otherwise, you could lose all your text. And if you've just pecked that out on a teeny tiny device on the train, on your way to work, you may just not want to take the time to do it all over again. And as Driggsy said above, submit your post for images to show. You can always go back to fix and modify afterwards.

Karma! Yeah, we know its a bitch, but actually, in this case its not. Again, Driggs mentioned it above. Think of it as a "LIKE" button for forums. Facebook has ruined us in some ways, and we don't want to take the time to say something meaningful (or we don't have meaningful things to say, like, say, for example, the post you're reading right now? :) ), but we do want to give feedback, so if someone has a cool post on here, at least throw them some karma, by clicking the "+" button next to their name, LHS. At least they'll know that what they're saying is appreciated by someone.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 07:13:05 PM »

Inline Images | Let's put images inline, instead of piled up at the bottom of our posts. Upload like usual, then click the "Insert image #" link next to the file once it's uploaded. Your images will be auto-scaled to no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side. This should make write-ups and trip reports a lot nicer to read.

Any idea how to make this work again?   It got broken during the.. troubles.

DR1665

• Administrator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 07:32:46 PM »
Did we do a fresh install or something? I don't see a setting for it and mentioned a mod above, but there don't appear to be any mods installed.

Dubya tee-eff, mate?

DR1665

• Administrator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 07:40:23 PM »
Installed mod. Appears active.

1. Select attachment(s)
2. Preview post
3. Click "insert attachment n" (first image is 0)
4. ???
5. PROFIT

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 07:42:26 PM by DR1665 »