Author Topic: Gack to the Future II  (Read 15162 times)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
Gack to the Future II
« on: July 17, 2017, 05:45:30 PM »
Looks like Biff stole my Time Montero and traveled back and changed future events so the world is similar to the world I remember from 2 weeks ago, just small changes like my wife is 10lbs thinner and my Montero has a sunroof and champagne colored paint now.      And I still don't want to mess around with no reefer addicts. 

It's weird but I think I'll get used to it.

Stay tuned. 

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:21:52 AM by Shovel »

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: Gack to the Future II
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:40:57 PM »
 That tire cover just makes me smile every time I see it. Coworkers must think I'm a crazy person.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 06:52:41 PM »
Gonna look even better when public service Swede Beans goes into effect!

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 11:13:06 AM »
Gack distribution is different in this dimension than in that other time narrative I was on before.

The one I remember from before was a relatively clean truck for some period of time and then appears to have suffered a rather sudden and explosive course of neglect, abuse and gackination.

This time, in this narrative I find a slow accretion of gack and some remnants of minor off-pavement use, perhaps a long time ago. 

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 12:42:49 PM »
update your signature. Should I sit aside one of the Gen 2 stainless mid skids for you?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 01:04:49 PM »
update your signature. Should I sit aside one of the Gen 2 stainless mid skids for you?

I have a mid skid (OEM) and as much as I'd love to be a rolling ADD advert,  best money right away is going to be spent on Bilsteins and a kingpin and maybe if I do really well on my soon-to-be-announced yard sale, a track bar and springs.   

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 02:13:31 PM »
Did the mid skids get finished? My OEM one is smashed.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 04:30:18 PM »
Yup they done!

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 12:49:40 PM »
I had to meet with family for dinner last night so I didn't get a ton of degackination done but I spent a solid hour under there with the pressure gun and I have to say this particular truck's gack is tenacious and does NOT want to let go.    I did some OK damage to it.. but damn.

I will probably be putting the transfer case from my parts pile into this truck - any tips are welcome.     As for checking the FSM?  I bought a paper set, it's in the mail.    So I can refer to that too but still any human suggestions are welcome.     

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 12:54:02 PM »
That stuff under yours looks like undercoating

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 01:03:32 PM »
Some of it sort of looks like undercoating but there's also a lot of spray/oil gack from leaks.   

I knocked a hell of a lot of it loose...   think when I remove the front axle assembly I'll have to get back under there and do some more, in fact I might start on that today.     This truck appears to have two good cv axles so I'm not sure if I should put the new axles I bought in there already or just hang onto the virgin ones as my spares.   

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 10:31:54 PM »
If your going to have the diff out, those cv's have to come out, so put the 100mm cv's you bought in, and use the ones currently on the truck as spares. It's my opinion, regardless of what shape cv boots appear to be in, once constant use gets put to old boots, they will inevitably split. I would reboot the 100mm cv's and regressed of course. Then put them in during diff swap action.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 06:09:42 PM »
Things are going sort of slow because of work and stuff but I got the right tires on it now..

Next job is a little interior decorating,  and my new motor mounts arrived today.         Trans mounts need replacement too but I've already put in a request with Toasty that he get me a couple ADD Siberian bushings to rework my trans mount that way like his.        I also ordered new tie rod ends and ball joints.

Next Friday I need to place my order for with ADD for Bilsteins because the front tires that came on this truck are scalloped pretty bad and that can only really mean a couple things..   I don't really feel like letting my perfectly good new tires suffer the same fate.     

I really hope that this engine turns out to be good,  then I can maybe offer up my reserve engine that Pa_Jero and Toasty helped me bring back to life,  to one of the three people who have already asked me (in the order they asked,  so if you also need an engine get in line!   ;D )   -  that would help ease the financial curve ball I've been chewing on these last couple weeks. 

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 10:01:23 PM »
Today Toasty and I gave my engine a quick inspection and I decided I'll just go ahead and put a new timing belt and water pump and all that good stuff on this one and proceed in that manner.     

So.. another $350 in parts have been ordered.   Ouch.    Have I mentioned I still need to buy suspension goodies?     Here I am using ADD's forum and I have yet to even place an ADD parts order.. 

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »
You have shirts! That counts!
 Also i need that crossmember! I'll replace it with a smashed to shit one.