Author Topic: Gack to the Future II  (Read 14063 times)

PA_JERO

• View Profile
Re: Gack to the Future II
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2017, 07:12:46 AM »
Did you ever work out your wierd engine noise you were talking about?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2017, 09:32:17 AM »
Did you ever work out your wierd engine noise you were talking about?

Finally got into it Saturday afternoon,   it turned out to be the alternator.   I had a 2nd one in the parts pile so I swapped them and the problem's solved. 

I want to dig into the noisy alternator and find out why it was doing that, see if it's repairable.   It works, anyway - but things that make weird noises usually don't work very long so if I can repair that I'll have a good spare.    I guess it's a functional spare now but not a trustworthy one.

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2017, 11:49:01 AM »
Ok good, glad you got that figured out for the time being.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2017, 12:19:15 PM »
I have the same yellow-ish odorless oily stuff gacking up the interior of my truck.  Carpets make me feel super gross every time i touch them.  NO idea what it is.

What did you think of the DLZ suspension/steering kit?  I bought it as well.  Pleasantly surprised as to the quality of the parts.
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2017, 01:22:42 PM »
I have the same yellow-ish odorless oily stuff gacking up the interior of my truck.  Carpets make me feel super gross every time i touch them.  NO idea what it is.

Wow really?     I had just sort of figured maybe this guy spilled a jug full of something - gross but not suspicious.

But what are the chances we both got the same odorless oil?   That suddenly becomes weird. 

I have a picture I have to take later and share with you on that topic.   

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2017, 01:30:31 PM »
What did you think of the DLZ suspension/steering kit?  I bought it as well.  Pleasantly surprised as to the quality of the parts.

As of right now it's still in boxes,  I have been waiting to have everything ready all at the same time so I could just hammer it all in - finally got my 4.90 AWD front axle this week so I can tear the front end down and put all the suspension/steering goodies in, the front axle in & the new motor mounts and SR CV axles.     

Cheap parts are always a funny sort of a game from the perspective of manufacturing cost... like what's the real difference in cost to manufacture a good ball joint or a bad ball joint?      If a ball joint that's good for 6 months costs $18 at retail and a kick ass 10+ year top quality one costs $80...  does the high end one really cost that much more to manufacture?     Exactly how much cheaper is fall-apart-in-a-month rubber than rest of your life rubber?        It seems like the majority of the cost is in the engineering and machines and tooling and manufacturing facility and labor and warehousing and shipping.. all of which should be pretty much identical between a top quality part and a bottom quality part.    So how does the actual part grade factor into the retail cost?

Truly a question for the ages. 

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2017, 01:33:55 PM »
Yep, i've spent every bit of 4 hours trying to bring my carpets back.  I've tried a steam cleaner as well as the normal "scrub-in-a-can" stuff.  It just keeps coming up.  When i peeled back the carpet to run wires for the new stereo, there was a lot of it. Super gross.  I gagged.  Gacked, even.

My stuff has a VERY slight odor, but it may just be picking up general funkiness of the carpet/interior.  Truck has been under water a couple times.  Came from NorCal, appears it was owned by one of Eurosonic's cousins.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2017, 01:37:35 PM »

As of right now it's still in boxes,  I have been waiting to have everything ready all at the same time so I could just hammer it all in - finally got my 4.90 AWD front axle this week so I can tear the front end down and put all the suspension/steering goodies in, the front axle in & the new motor mounts and SR CV axles.     

Cheap parts are always a funny sort of a game from the perspective of manufacturing cost... like what's the real difference in cost to manufacture a good ball joint or a bad ball joint?      If a ball joint that's good for 6 months costs $18 at retail and a kick ass 10+ year top quality one costs $80...  does the high end one really cost that much more to manufacture?     Exactly how much cheaper is fall-apart-in-a-month rubber than rest of your life rubber?        It seems like the majority of the cost is in the engineering and machines and tooling and manufacturing facility and labor and warehousing and shipping.. all of which should be pretty much identical between a top quality part and a bottom quality part.    So how does the actual part grade factor into the retail cost?

Truly a question for the ages.

Yep, we run into this in Miata Land as well.

In my experience, all the aftermarket stuff is the same.  It's NOT actually the same, but you get the same crap shoot because no matter what name is on the box, it's probably coming from the same place.  Not much way to tell if the part is going to last 10k miles or 100k miles.  It either fits or it doesn't.  Either has a ton of play out of the box, or it doesn't.

OEM parts are even going that road as well.  With so many part revisions/numbers superceded over the last 25 years, undoubtably the supplier has changed a time or ten. 

If i was PILING miles on the Monty, i'd probably consider springing for all OEM stuff in the front end.  But i'm not, and luckily the truck is pretty easy to work on, so when i can buy an entire front end rebuild and not immediately be repulsed at the horrible quality when i open the box, for $140 shipped.  That'll do, pig.

Obviously certain things need to be oem.  The idler, mainly so i can get the ADD rebuild kit.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 08:13:22 AM »
Yep, i've spent every bit of 4 hours trying to bring my carpets back.  I've tried a steam cleaner as well as the normal "scrub-in-a-can" stuff.  It just keeps coming up.  When i peeled back the carpet to run wires for the new stereo, there was a lot of it. Super gross.  I gagged.  Gacked, even.

After two manually agitated baths in a clean garbage can with laundry detergent, I draped the carpet outside to dry and after it had finished drying I brought it indoors and hung it across my work table so it wouldn't get creased up from folding.   So it decided to drip more oil onto The floor.  I don't even know where it's coming from.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:16:41 AM by Shovel »

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2017, 09:43:11 AM »
Hah well thanks for trying this for science.  I'll just buy a new carpet, thanks.  :D

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2017, 04:49:57 PM »
Going to have to post photos at some point..  but this weekend I removed the decals from the doors (fake cladding) and installed new motor mounts, 4.90 awd front diff, and new upper control arms, ball joints (all) and tie rod ends.   Not done yet, I have a few more tasks to complete before buttoning the front together.   So now no more awd or 4wd until the rear gears match the front. 

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2017, 04:51:07 AM »
Going to have to post photos at some point..  but this weekend I removed the decals from the doors (fake cladding) and installed new motor mounts, 4.90 awd front diff, and new upper control arms, ball joints (all) and tie rod ends.   Not done yet, I have a few more tasks to complete before buttoning the front together.   So now no more awd or 4wd until the rear gears match the front.

What's your method of choice for removing the fake rocker decals?  Mine are a little torn up from being bounced off rocks, and i wouldn't mind removing them if it isn't a 4 hour ordeal. 

haolepinoy

• My Montero Hates Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2017, 09:27:24 AM »
Shovel, there has to be a good story behind those ridiculous seat covers. Care to share?
'03 Montero Limited - being repaired slightly faster than it's falling apart (debatable)

Middle-earth by Montero

My Friend's Super Epic Build Thread

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2017, 10:05:05 AM »

What's your method of choice for removing the fake rocker decals?  Mine are a little torn up from being bounced off rocks, and i wouldn't mind removing them if it isn't a 4 hour ordeal.

whizzy wheel!

It's a rubber wheel that attaches with a threaded arbor to your power drill.   Then you just go outside, put on a painter mask,  and whizz away at it for a really long time.. eventually it sort of looks like you're done!   But you're not!

Rinse it all off, then whizz some more... then wash it more,  THEN you're sort of done.   But remember that your paint is completely naked now so you should probably wax it right away if you aren't going to repaint it some other color. 

I was able to do all of my fake cladding with one whizzy wheel, barely - but the wheel does wear off very quickly so keep that in mind while you're working so you don't end up having to buy multiple $25 wheels.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2017, 10:08:16 AM »
Shovel, there has to be a good story behind those ridiculous seat covers. Care to share?

My favorite thing about them is that there is not a story behind them at all.     They just exist.   They didn't exist before, and now they exist.   They're a thing now.