Author Topic: Gack to the Future II  (Read 32112 times)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
Re: Gack to the Future II
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2017, 09:18:49 AM »
Progress continues.. 

[ Invalid Attachment ]

We're getting really close!!! 

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2017, 10:05:38 AM »
You guys aren't messing around.  :)

How much beer do i need to bring out to the AZ crew if i were to bribe my way into a visit/refreshing of my truck?  ;)
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2017, 10:28:07 AM »
You guys aren't messing around.  :)

How much beer do i need to bring out to the AZ crew if i were to bribe my way into a visit/refreshing of my truck?  ;)

We had some conversations about this kind of stuff this weekend a little...  the AZ Crew is very much a community where we help each other out on stuff,  share parts and labor and beverages and tacos,   try to throw business at each other (if an AZ Crew dude works at a sandwich shop that's where I'm buying lunch if I can) but all of us can remember times when someone reached out to us for help and got it,  then disappeared and never invested themselves in the community.      So this is very much a reputation economy.

I did pitch the idea to Toasty that it would be really cool if Adventure Driven Design could somehow become profitable as a riff from what Mohenic is doing;   putting the romance in necromancing old steel..    then the AZ Crew would be more than just some dudes who throw wrenches around each others' garage when somebody's in a bind and could really be churning out some kick ass trucks!     I think it might be time to mob on Pa_Jero's house and help him put his beef 2dr back on the road before Christmas. 

I'm no more involved in ADD than just being friends with Toasty & his family and more recently friends with IncorporatedX but I do try to help them with their success;  saying truthfully positive things about their business everywhere I can, actually buying their products and trying to put together a promotional film next month with some prominent advertising both for ADD and for the classy, capable adventure coach that Monteros prove themselves to be. 

For your truck?    All I can say is the more often we share good times with people the more enthusiastic we get about helping each other have the best rigs possible.   

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2017, 11:03:23 AM »
Sure, i didn't mean for you to "be the face."  We treat our own the same way in Miataland, but there's a whole lot more of us than Montero owners.  :P

25 months later.... looks like i'm finally getting settled (kindof) on my old beloved XJ, so once this race season dies down i'll be finally investing into the Monty.  I've filled up a cart with the entire ADD catalog a few times (ok a couple dozen) and it'll be awesome to finally make it real.  :)

Question, though:

The front hubs/spindles, are they completely rebuildable off the truck?  Or does having everything on them interfere with re-installation?
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2017, 11:39:11 AM »

The front hubs/spindles, are they completely rebuildable off the truck?  Or does having everything on them interfere with re-installation?

There's not really anything that would impede installation of any part,  they come off and go on in sequence with or without the knuckle assembly on the truck and can be installed as a unit onto the A-arms.   The only interference fit is the caliper itself, for obvious reasons and you have to despindle the bearing assembly in order to replace the brake disk (the disk doesn't just flop off the "front" after you remove the wheel)

PA_JERO

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2017, 06:50:44 PM »
Truck is looking fantastic dude, can't wait to see it rolling down the trail kicking all kinds of ass.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2017, 08:25:03 AM »
Comin up soon Pa_Jero!! 

Yesterday I uhh.. fixed.. a couple stupid mistakes I had made.   Like I had reassembled the driver front hub without re-tightening the brake disc onto the hub assembly,  that probably wouldn't have ended well but I remembered it last Saturday and finally got around to fixing it last night.     

Installed the new Bilsteins all around,  bought a box of cotter pins because the ones that came with my new ball joints were garbage - installed the pins.    Greased every zerk. 

The O2 sensors (Bosch) that RockAuto sent me were wrong..   er, I don't know if they were right or wrong but the wires are too short they're a whole foot shorter than the wires on the O2 sensors that came off.   So I ordered Densos from O'Reilly and am returning the RockAuto ones.      California emissions O2 sensors are a different part number than Federal for Gen 2.5.

I guess at this point the jobs I have left to do are install the new O2 sensors,  bleed the brakes,  re-check everything one last time,  go get the truck aligned, reinstall skid plates & give the truck a good wash.     

I have new front speakers to install but I may or may not get around to that before October since my work schedule is pretty busy right now. 

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2017, 07:26:10 AM »
Man this is now getting a little bit demotivating..     I feel like I'm so close, all I need to do is get an alignment and wait for Ernest to finish with my 3rd member and slap that in. 

That's it.

Except that this morning I found a little green drip from the back of the engine again.     

After I replaced the heater hoses and the TB heater hoses. 

>:(

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2017, 01:49:13 PM »
Waiting for permetex to cure.. 

I did the best I could repacking the rear wheel bearings,  installed the 4.90 rear 3rd with a Sport LSD in it..  installed some speakers and a modest head unit.. and a bunch of Noico sound deadener. 

Because I'm a dork I cleaned the heck out of the inside of the axle while I had the 3rd member out,   it wasn't really bad in there just the layer of metal dust from 280k miles of work.  The magnet barely even had a little beard on it.     But I scrubbed it all to shine so I'm not letting last decade's metal dust invade this decade's off road action. 

Yesterday I took the truck outside and washed it,  washed the engine a bit too since it had gathered dust and I wanted to rinse away any antifreeze from the hose replacement job & see if the drip I had before was just leftovers from that.

Good news, no new drips today.    So maybe it was just leftovers! 

I'm going to throw new brakes on the back since I have 'em.. it doesn't need them but I already bought the pads so this gets that job done for the forseeable  future. 

The most exciting part of all this?    Being able to CLEAN EVERYTHING UP!! My house is a mess,  everything is a mess.   I've spent my evenings just doing wrench crap and work,  so the household has suffered.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2017, 11:20:43 PM »
With the truck all buttoned up I've just been driving it - not off pavement yet, but plenty of highway.   Put around 500 miles on it this weekend! 

I picked up my ADD kingpin upgrade on Saturday,  and an interior trim piece,  and Siberian-bushed custom ADD transmission crossmember & a receiver hitch...    haven't installed any of them yet.

The Bilsteins feel excellent as expected - nice tight sporty ride on the pavement and instant mammary-like softness on speed bumps,  railroad tracks, etc.   

With all of the maintenance up to date on the engine & trans,  4.90:1 gears and new almost everything suspension-wise the handling is very confident and acceleration is.. well still not a V8 but it's pretty solid all things considered.     Can't wait to see what it does climbing hills :)

The truck does need some steel brake lines,  I can clamp hard enough to get the ABS involved but I don't like the amount of travel necessary for that.   Prefer a tighter brake pedal feel - and yeah I've bled it including the bleeder on the proportioning valve.     I think the brakes are probably about as good as they're expected to be I just personally prefer things even more crisp.

I think this Montero is ready for Utah!   8)

ThePug

• I'm new here!
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2017, 02:41:16 AM »
I keep seein everyone post about these add products they are installing but I can't seem to find any on here where do I go to find them?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2017, 08:18:28 AM »
I keep seein everyone post about these add products they are installing but I can't seem to find any on here where do I go to find them?

The kingpin upgrade is here:  http://adventuredrivendesign.com/ocart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=52

The shocks I used in this truck are here:  http://adventuredrivendesign.com/ocart/index.php?route=product/product&path=71_73&product_id=78

The other ADD products on this Montero are prototypes,  those guys use local trucks in the community as a laboratory to try stuff out and make sure it works correctly, doesn't fail,  doesn't have any unexpected problems with install or function.     It's good and bad,  it means we get to try out cool parts that aren't available any other way but it also means sometimes the parts end up demonstrating a flaw or a drawback that wasn't expected.     This is a kind of thing that Toasty and the rest of us in the AZ community have been cooking up for many years before ADD existed.. "Hey,  can I borrow  your plasma cutter?  I have an idea..."  with plenty of failures to back up the successes!   

DONT_TREAD

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2017, 09:43:25 PM »
the beeeeeens.... i didn't know you did your carpet also. you're a whole nother animal
think for yourself, question authority

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2017, 08:45:03 PM »
the beeeeeens.... i didn't know you did your carpet also. you're a whole nother animal

It's a balancing act trying to be lagom extra without going full Jaden.

Today I finally got around to replacing those two little 1/4" coolant hoses,  I really don't think they were leaking but they did ultimately need to be replaced.. dammit.    Little jackasses were hard to get in there to undo the clamps and put the new clamps on.   

There are a couple more things I need to get accomplished THIS WEEK.. but work is kinda kicking my ass and I don't really feel like doing much after it   :( 

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2017, 09:24:57 PM »
There are a couple more things I need to get accomplished THIS WEEK.. but work is kinda kicking my ass and I don't really feel like doing much after it   :(

I know that feeling.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero