Author Topic: Gack to the Future II  (Read 32121 times)

Crumb

Re: Gack to the Future II
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2018, 10:24:06 PM »
Good call!

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2018, 08:51:29 AM »
Drop that hog off at my house and i'll get them installed when you're ready homie!

I have some of these coming too!   

WHAT'RE THOOOOOSE!?!?!?
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2018, 09:50:19 AM »
Drop that hog off at my house and i'll get them installed when you're ready homie!

I have some of these coming too!   

WHAT'RE THOOOOOSE!?!?!?

It's not ideal to weld the stand-offs for the sliders directly to the side of the frame,  it's not engineered for that kind of loading and while it might work it also might tear or perforate the frame rail.     

Plates and gussets distribute that load across a much wider cross section of frame which multiplies the strength and durability of the joint - and since the plates are thicker than the frame material they allow for a better weld at the joint between themselves and the stand-off than would be possible going straight to frame.   

The hex shape (instead of a rectangle) is just going overkill,  corners concentrate load forces so by going hex or octa or round you can distribute forces across a larger weld cross section no matter which direction the forces come from.      I could have used scrap steel bits too,  but these were affordable and will give me "Job Done Right" points or something. 

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2018, 10:14:53 AM »
Gotcha.  So where'd you get them?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2018, 03:19:14 PM »
Gotcha.  So where'd you get them?

I ordered the frame reinforcement plates from SlagFactory  https://www.facebook.com/SlagFactory/

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2018, 08:38:24 AM »
I got a little bit of body work done... realized I better do it ASAP before welding on the rock sliders or there won't be any room to work!      So... I didn't do as good a job as I like to do but on the plus side it'll be covered up by the rock slider mostly and if somebody's eyeballing my paint finish on a tiny section of rocker panel maybe I don't care if they see some flaws. 

Also this is the face I show dirt.   FU DIRT!

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2018, 09:11:11 AM »
I wish I could figure out how to do inline attachments again.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2018, 09:52:57 PM »
I finally put the new CV axles in, bout damn time!!!  Next up I should be receiving the relay I need for my PIAA driving lights soon, and Josh assures me the ADD rear lift coil springs I ordered are coming soon (yay!) .   

Still to do: install rear locker after Ernest has that finished for me,  new rear axle oil seals,  hack together rear platform support channels,  minor body work (very minor) and paint it.   That's kinda it, I don't have further build plans after that but sure can't wait to go use it more!!!!

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2018, 10:40:38 PM »

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2018, 06:37:56 PM »

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2018, 10:31:07 AM »
That is interesting.  Tell me more.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2018, 11:45:08 AM »
I bought two sets of these.

Some of this (it's about $13 each at Home Depot for 1"x36")

One of these.

Some plain (unperforated) 1" square tubing.

Then I took the seat brackets off my 3rd row seats, discarded the seats,  removed the paint from the ends of the seat brackets and welded (had Toasty weld.. he's way way better than I am) the square tube to the brackets and to the perf tube.    It was pretty strong that way but just for peace of mind I also did a couple outriggers at the end, same tubing.      I used the plastic tube caps to close off the ends so the legs don't cut into the carpet,  and so the other open ends don't become snag/cut/pain/injury/garbage/debris/whatever hazards. 

The traction boards are then held in place with carriage bolts and large fender washers at the top,  and smaller washers & wing nuts at the bottom.    Taking out all three and putting all three back in, start to finish could probably be done in sixty seconds if one cared to work quickly.     Very painless.       Each traction board is less than 6lbs according to shipping weight so I estimate the total weight of all of this with the brackets to be around 25lb or less.

The mattress is a discontinued IKEA one,  I believe it might be the same as the current Lycksele Lovas - it sure looks similar.   

There used to be an IKEA mattress that folded into even thirds which might be even cooler for fitting entirely behind the back seat with the seat in its upright seating position. 

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2018, 01:47:52 PM »
Excellent thank you!  I am probably going to unashamedly copy this completely.  This solves the biggest problem i have with putting a wood platform in the back.  I haul motors and transmissions with this thing from time to time, and if removing two rear sections is just 45 seconds with an impact driver, perfect.  :)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2018, 02:47:14 PM »
Copy it on up!   

I didn't like all the various platform solutions I saw from other people either... all heavy, bulky,  difficult to remove and store when not camping.     This weighs very little and even if you need to remove it,  there's almost nothing to store.   

You could probably get away with using two traction boards instead of three...  three fits perfectly but two with some space between them is plenty strong for a mattress on top.   Since you have to buy them in pairs. 

Or buy two pair, then sell the extra one or keep it as a spare, etc. 

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2018, 02:54:43 PM »
I threw my 2nd and 3rd row seats in the dumpster, so i could easily fit 4.  :)