Author Topic: Gack to the Future II  (Read 32119 times)

DONT_TREAD

Re: Gack to the Future II
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2017, 10:56:44 PM »
I can't stress how jelly I am of you guys, that utah trip will be epic. If you think I can be of any help I'm free in the afternoons (after 5pm) to help out.
think for yourself, question authority

Montero_Guy

• I'm new here!
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2017, 11:42:13 PM »
This definitely is a CLEAN build haha. I've been thinking of those bilsteins but i kind of want to get the whole suspension setup to have an excuse to get the 5100s. I wish i could get time for that utah trip! Make sure you post pictures and make the rest of us regret not going!

jaccox

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2017, 05:38:15 AM »
the beeeeeens.... i didn't know you did your carpet also. you're a whole nother animal

Today I finally got around to replacing those two little 1/4" coolant hoses,  I really don't think they were leaking but they did ultimately need to be replaced.. dammit.    Little jackasses were hard to get in there to undo the clamps and put the new clamps on.   

Are these the two small hoses coming off the T-stat housing? I was literally just eyeballing my engine compartment the other day and realized I hadn't changed those two. Everything else cooling related has been replaced or cleaned so I'm surprised those buggers didn't pop knowing my luck.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2017, 09:02:21 AM »
This definitely is a CLEAN build haha. I've been thinking of those bilsteins but i kind of want to get the whole suspension setup to have an excuse to get the 5100s. I wish i could get time for that utah trip! Make sure you post pictures and make the rest of us regret not going!

The travel length in front is the same regardless of the shock you choose,  but the mid-travel A.D.D. setup for the rear axle is exclusively possible with 5100's.       

I haven't had the opportunity to get hard numbers or do research that could be called authoritative,  but the rumor is that the HD/4600 series have a more firm ride character than the 5100s in this application which is down to A.D.D.'s custom spec on the 5100's.      My personal butt-o-meter echoes that rumor though there are other variables like tires and the presence/absence of sway bars which differentiate the vehicles I've ridden in with either shock.      Both shocks have the same piston size and displacement and they differ only in valving, length (for rears) and paint job.

My preference is for the tight road feel of the HD's,  they give way to softness on major bumps for (my opinion) best of both worlds.    But they don't have a long travel rear.

Are these the two small hoses coming off the T-stat housing? I was literally just eyeballing my engine compartment the other day and realized I hadn't changed those two. Everything else cooling related has been replaced or cleaned so I'm surprised those buggers didn't pop knowing my luck.

Yes, those two.    The bottom clamp really, really loves its own mother and I reminded it of that fact at least once. 

I can't stress how jelly I am of you guys, that utah trip will be epic. If you think I can be of any help I'm free in the afternoons (after 5pm) to help out.

I might need some help this week eating a couple Chicago sliders up in your neighborhood.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2017, 05:40:56 AM »
Private hell update: Shovel's truck has a leaky heater core. This could get ugly!

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

jaccox

« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2017, 07:38:50 AM »
Heater core sucks but it's a great time to clean out the Evap box behind the passenger dash. Mine was full of leaves sticks and anything else you could imagine coming from outside. Also some leaves and such in the blower fan housing. Needless to say my airflow increased drastically after doing my heater core. It's a crap job but as long as you go in knowing that everything that touches the frame bars that run vertically along the HVAC and radio bezel needs to come off it will save you a lot of time. This is what made my heater core a longer job than it should have been. I would removed one thing then try to wedge the box out and then remove another thing and try again. Just start by removing everything you can get your hands on. Also it's great having the piece of mind once your finished that the terrible design of the gen2.5 heater core piping is gone forever and you shouldn't worry about it for the rest of your life. If you were able to clean the bottom of your vehicle and swap the front and rear diffs by yourself I'm confident you can finish this job in 4 hours. Maybe faster if you have some nice power tools, and maybe a helper.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2018, 01:51:09 PM »
It's been a long time since an update;   well I've just been kinda driving the thing and it just keeps working, you know?

So let's do a little roll-up.     

First, here's what IS

• Starting point:  Very much stock 2000 Montero Endeavor with just under 280k miles
  • Delete running boards
  • Delete crappy falling-apart roof rack
  • 17" Steel wheels from a FJ Cruiser (x5)
  • LT265/70R17 Continental TerrainContact tires
  • Bilstein HD 4600 shocks all around
  • ADD steering kingpin
  • Powerstop Z23 brake pads all around
  • New carpet from ACC
  • New Siberian bushings on transmission crossmember & front sway bar
  • New cheap ebay front suspension parts (UCA's, tie rod ends, sway bar end links) & motor mounts
  • New rear sway bar end links from Moog
  • New Pioneer 2DIN head unit with no touchscreen stuff, cheap amplifier by DUAL, MTX rear speakers being used as subwoofers, front Pioneer components, buncha Noico sound deadener
  • New windshield installed by Kraken Auto Glass
  • Fancy headlight bulbs (halogen)
  • Prototype ADD Drive Wild spare tire cover (I'm pretty sure these will be a real product eventually but I'm not thrilled with the quality on this one and am trying to find a supplier for absolutely top notch quality)
  • 4.90 gears
  • LSD from a Sport
  • Front AWD axle with cheap manual hubs

And what's NEXT

• ADD Transmission skidplate (already in my possession, haven't installed)
  • PIAA 520 driving lights from ADD (already in my possession, haven't installed)
  • Locking rear differential (presently with our gear wizard getting built)
  • New CV's (already in my possession, haven't installed)
  • Rock Sliders (prototype ADD!!)
  • ADD rear lift coils (purchased, awaiting delivery)
  • Metra replacement antenna (purchased, awaiting delivery)
  • Body repair + paint ...  some parts have begun,  but this is a laborious process
  • Polish the chips out of my OEM bumper fog lights - first stage done but more stages necessary.
  • Transmission shift kit (purchased, awaiting delivery)
  • Rear cargo segregation & platform (some parts in my possession, more needed)

I think that's it for now.   So not much to take photos of,  but soon!

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2018, 01:54:16 PM »
What sliders did you purchase?
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2018, 02:16:08 PM »
I ordered them from a fabricator in California who builds for Toyotas/Jeeps - looks like ADD is investigating them as a full time supplier if these work out. 

Sir_Monty

• I'm new here!
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2018, 08:46:28 PM »
Nice build. What transmission shift kit did you get? Also can't wait to see those sliders on the truck.

Hooots

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2018, 11:53:48 AM »
  • Body repair + paint ...  some parts have begun,  but this is a laborious process

Do you have, or know of, a local guy for this?

If you do I'm listening..........
"AZPAJERO" - 1997 Gen 2 Montero SR, 5.29 gears, 37" tires, Detroit front locker, Factory rear

Follow IG: https://www.instagram.com/azpajero/

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2018, 01:40:35 PM »
Nice build. What transmission shift kit did you get? Also can't wait to see those sliders on the truck.

Transgo SK340 - as I understand it this is the milder of the two kits available for this trans.   

Sliders on the truck?

Don't worry,  before long some of those will be relocated to where they belong. 

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2018, 01:41:18 PM »

Do you have, or know of, a local guy for this?

If you do I'm listening..........

I'm my own guy for this.    I'm not super awesome at it but I'm the best in my price range!  8)

Crumb

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2018, 04:41:32 PM »
 Drop that hog off at my house and i'll get them installed when you're ready homie!

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2018, 04:51:41 PM »
Drop that hog off at my house and i'll get them installed when you're ready homie!

I have some of these coming too!