Author Topic: How are you dudes locking up your spare tires?  (Read 2427 times)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
How are you dudes locking up your spare tires?
« on: July 20, 2017, 06:12:54 PM »
Last couple vehicles I had with exterior spares had a means of locking them..    like my ZR2 had a thing that used the ignition key and slid over the lugnut and would spin freely, making casual theft pretty much impossible.      My Trooper had an unthreaded stud with a hole through it that a padlock could be hung from, effectively making casual theft annoying, at least.

This Montero just has three lug bolts that anyone with pliers could undo.    My wheels don't really lend themselves to a bike lock exactly...

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
Re: How are you dudes locking up your spare tires?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 07:09:58 PM »
Weld a post in the center and put a bike lock there.

PA_JERO

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 10:44:20 PM »
I've never locked my spare tire. But I have 2 factory wheel lock sets if you want a set. 4 wheel locks and spare tire wheel lock with key wrench.

Would a short cable or chain with a pad lock work?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 10:53:01 PM »
I've never locked my spare tire. But I have 2 factory wheel lock sets if you want a set. 4 wheel locks and spare tire wheel lock with key wrench.

Would a short cable or chain with a pad lock work?

Man I should have asked you first haha! 

I have theft resistant lugnuts (the spline drive ones that need a unique key) on the road wheels,  and earlier tonight I got on Amazon and paid $7.12 for a Master Lock 262DAT - 

Pretty simple looking device,  I guess it just has a little tab you install sort of like a washer between the Mitsu lug bolt and the wheel,  tighten it down like normal and then this cover locks over the tab and hex head.     If it fits OK then cool!     If not,  I'll probably try to hit you up for the spare tire lock.   

I have had 2 spares stolen over the years and one of them was a unique Vehicross 18" I was borrowing from Shan so I ended up having to buy him a whole new set of wheels.    Thankfully he was super cool and let me buy him 16" Amigo wheels which was only a couple hundred dollars but damn I wish I had used the lock post I had so at least the savages would have had to work a little for their prize!

PA_JERO

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 07:15:52 AM »
That'd not cool. On the bright sight of things I have finally discovered what the washer peice on my spare tire is. It resembles the peice in your photo, I've had the washer part for years and have always wondered what it was for. Never had the locking part though. Let me know if you need a set of factory locks.

Crumb

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 09:43:25 AM »
Most Monteros come with a ignition key matched lock for your spare. Typically it's under the left middle seat inside a little baggie, i try to grab them from the junk yards whenever i find them to one day rekey them.
 Probably can go to the dealer and order one to match your vin, there are Gen 1 and 2 styles.

JakeP

• "Who brought that Mitsubishi up here?"
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 08:18:31 PM »
When I got my aftermarket wheels, a traditional lug nut lock or the OEM lugs would not work for my spare as the wheels I ordered required spline drive lugs.  I did some research and found that BMW 12x1.5 wheel locks will thread into the top two holes of the spare tire carrier.  I can take a picture for you if you want.  These are similar to what I ordered except I ordered Gorilla's:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PC-12X1-5-BLACK-STEEL-WHEEL-LUG-BOLT-LOCK-SET-WITH-2-KEYS-FOR-BMW-B-/271988392216?hash=item3f53c58118

Spare tire carrier requires lug bolts, not nuts.  Most Euro locks should work.

JakeP

• "Who brought that Mitsubishi up here?"
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 03:57:10 PM »
Here's pictures of wheel lock lug bolts on a spline drive wheel for anyone interested.

Se7en62

• The British Empire was built on cups of tea...
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 02:40:42 PM »
I kind of wish wheel locks would come in a set of 5, so I don't have to have 2 keys. My spare is secured with 2 factory lugs, plus a single spline-drive lock lug. Then it's also covered by a vinyl spare tire cover.
Follow @overland_pajero

1999 Montero "Winter Package" Overland - X3 / ADD / ADHD / ARB / AVN / OME / Bilstein / CVT / DFG / Dometic

RyanY

• I'm new here!

that_guy_eric

• I'm new here!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 09:27:54 PM »
I recently lost the lug key to the factory wheels on our 96, went down to the parts store and for $12 I bought a kit that will remove more than 90% of the locking lug nuts on the market, kind of scary to think it's that easy for thieves.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 07:39:46 AM »
I recently lost the lug key to the factory wheels on our 96, went down to the parts store and for $12 I bought a kit that will remove more than 90% of the locking lug nuts on the market, kind of scary to think it's that easy for thieves.

All locks are only in place to remind mostly honest people to stay honest,  and to make your property slightly more of a hassle than the next person's.

CharlieN

• Collector of Mitsubishi's dating back to '71
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 03:40:12 AM »
Bit late but up here in Vermont the spare tire locks itself on now that magnesium chloride is being used to deice roads. No one can get their spare tires off. Maybe the thieves know how too.
Regards, Charlie N