Author Topic: Something NOT in the FSM.. Anyone ever lubricate their hood hinges?  (Read 1150 times)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
This is something I've never had to fool with in my life,  but my 2000 Montero has sticky hinges.    Is it a problem?  Well not really but it annoys me and that's enough reason to want to fix it. 

I just can't figure out how to get in there to properly lube them,  other than just getting the flexy hose on a can of spray lube.    That's not exactly elegant but I guess it's on the table.

Any other ideas,  is there hinge access under the fenders or something? 

Crumb

I had one stickier than yours once or someone did that i worked on. I did the bendy hose trick and free'd it up some, if you find an access make sure to post up as this will likely be a more common thing as the trucks get older.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
What I know so far is that removing the grille panel between the back of the hood and the windshield definitely does not improve access to the hinges.

It does allow a bit of cleaning,  and would allow access to replace or lubricate the wiper mechanism.    Also there are two plastic "plugs" under there,  which are not UV stabilized and thus the one that gets exposed to the sun was in bad shape all crusty and cracked.    I did a little bit of gorilla tape over it just to stop the damage where it is,   but kind of want to actually fix it now that I know it's broken.

So the only other possible ways to get to the hinge are if there's access behind the fender (I'll find that out soon enough, as the fenders are coming off the green truck) or if it's way, way up under the dash - which would only make sense to do if you were REALLY enthusiastic about lubricating those hinges or if you had the dash off anyway for some unrelated reason then it's probably a good idea to get them while  you're there.