Author Topic: Common Gen 2 and 2.5 Parts That Break on Trail  (Read 6179 times)

JakeP

• "Who brought that Mitsubishi up here?"
Common Gen 2 and 2.5 Parts That Break on Trail
« on: July 25, 2017, 08:28:19 PM »
Looking to assemble a spare parts bag to have with me on trail.  I saved my old tie-rod ends.  This is only my second year with this truck, so I am looking to see what kind of experiences people have had breaking parts and any recommended parts I should always have with me.

jaccox

Re: Common Gen 2 and 2.5 Parts That Break on Trail
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 08:48:45 PM »
You don't have to carry these with you, but get manual hubs. if you bust a CV ever all you have to do is unlock that wheel and you can at least still make it home. Plus a set of genuine AISIN's won't grenade like an auto hub and leave you stranded or disengage 4wd when reversing. Maybe carry extra accessory belts. Hoses too if you're real anal about it (save old ones like you did with your tie rods). Then the general assortment of fluids. That's all i can think of at the moment.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

Kaioken

• Hi guys, its me Jay
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 08:57:36 PM »
never really thought about the use of the manual hubs.  That may actually come in handy.  I have always thought about what if I break a CV axle which I may see as possible.  I probably should get a spare set of inner and outer tie rods huh?

I'm stuck in Florida...for now
1999 Mitsubishi Montero
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP

bikerjosh

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 07:55:56 AM »
Here is a helpful (I think) tip. Don't buy no name spare axles from local auto parts supplier or amazon. Go to the salvage yard and pull OEM ones (look for ones w/o torn boots) and rebuild them. I had a torn boot on an OEM axle, noticed that replacement boot was about as much as a replacement axle. Took the bait replaced axle, smash cut to trail run outside of Red Bluff. Replacement axle snaps at cage with very little stress.  When I finally got the Montero home, got boots and put OEM axle back together.  Lot's of off road miles on OEM axles, no issues. 

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 09:29:33 AM »
Items I would carry in a long-haul somewhat built off road or overland truck that would see extended periods off time off road;

Engine related:
Coil pack
coil ignitor
ecu
fuel pump
crank and cam sensors
air filter
Mass air flow sensor
Alternator

Drivetrain related:
Spare CV shafts
spare set of wheel bearings front and rear
tie rod assemblies inner/outer and adjuster
extra coolant/distilled water
gallon of oil
4 qts of trans fluid
2 feet of each: 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" and 5/8" hose

Misc:
headlight/tail light bulbs
fuses
spool of wire
electrical terminals
basic bosch style relay or two (for temporary fixes on electrical things)

I've used a similar set up in most of the vehicles I've driven cross country or used for extended adventures. The idea being if we have to do things we don't want to do in order to get through a sticky situation, we need insurance. When worse comes to worse you might have to put something to hard use, or, force it to work in less than ideal situations. Most of the sensors are small, easy to pack and they're in the list because the loss of those items could stop you in your tracks, if your fuel pump decides to fail when you're 30 miles from a trailhead, well, that's gonna suck. This list isnt so much montero specific, just a framework I try to use.

You should be able to pack all of that into one medium tote.

Crumb

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 04:51:19 PM »
 Man, I don't even carry a spare tire. I should change that. Montero's break tierods and CVs when you have 35's cut bumpstops and hammer on the truck rock crawling. Also you can break CVs if you have cut bumpstops, turned in steering stops a front locker and then flex out at full lock turn, bind it up really bad then power through. That'll break them, I know because I did it. Now I have steering stops and new bumpstops.

Whatthesheesh

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 11:39:52 PM »
I broke both of  My front outer cv axle joints yesterday trying to climb over one obstacle.
I have 37"s, 5.29 gears in the axles and 3.15 gears in the t-case so I knew it was highly probable to experience this type of failure.
I second what everyone else has said but really am a believer in spare cv axles and tie rod ends.

Crumb

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 04:46:13 PM »
Carry silicone tape, it can repair a broken hose or intake tube. It only sticks to itself.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 06:50:56 PM »
Oh, and the AZ crew always has room for your broken, greasy parts.  :o

Goes in the bed of your PW

Jamacee

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 04:32:44 PM »
When someone above posted buy new OEM or junkyard ones and I got curious to see how much new ones were I could not believe they were going for about $475 per side.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 09:28:16 PM »
When someone above posted buy new OEM or junkyard ones and I got curious to see how much new ones were I could not believe they were going for about $475 per side.

And that's why hitting the junkyards is a good thing. Get a set out of a 94-96 SR and you'll have the best ones, although there may be equals available, that model guarantees you've hit paydirt. Put new boots on them and wrap them in something. Usually, you'll never need them. Unless you go wheeling with Lloyd (Fordyce Creek? Why not just use your name, Brah?) or the AZ Crew.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 02:32:34 PM »

And that's why hitting the junkyards is a good thing. Get a set out of a 94-96 SR and you'll have the best ones, although there may be equals available, that model guarantees you've hit paydirt. Put new boots on them and wrap them in something. Usually, you'll never need them. Unless you go wheeling with Lloyd (Fordyce Creek? Why not just use your name, Brah?) or the AZ Crew.

John B.
Didnít know 94-96 SRís had the best cv axles? What makes them that much better?

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 11:01:11 AM »
94-98 have larger CV's 99-2000 have smaller units.

MB620255
MB620256

John B.
Didnít know 94-96 SRís had the best cv axles? What makes them that much better?

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 03:41:41 PM »
Are we sure that the cutoff is 98?  If so, that makes me happy.
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 09:11:55 AM »
Based on the parts numbers it is..

Are we sure that the cutoff is 98?  If so, that makes me happy.