Author Topic: Engine Cooling / Condenser Fan  (Read 1227 times)

PA_JERO

• View Profile
Engine Cooling / Condenser Fan
« on: July 26, 2017, 04:04:46 PM »
I'm posting this in the Mitsu related section because this should be true through all monteros and montero sports. Monteros should all have transmission coolers and oil coolers, while sports have transmission coolers but not oil coolers. For monteros and sport models,  Obviously the normal engine fan is a puller fan to help pull air through the radiator for cooling engine coolant down. The electric fan behind the grill is a condenser fan, this can contribute to the volume of air flowing through the condenser and radiator as well for moving at slower speeds off road if used that way. It only turns on with A/C turned on, and it's purpose besides airflow is to help keep the condenser cooler for better working A/C inside your vehicle.

Now that that's clear, you can do several upgrades or services to help keep engine temps down while at slow speeds or off road.

#1. Service or replace your radiator, or upgrade to bigger more bad ass cooling radiator. Use only high efficiency cores though.

#2. Flush coolant

#3. Fan clutch, check and make sure it engages as it should.

#4. Use a full fan shroud.

#5. If you have a body lift, lower radiator to compensate for body lift.

More to come....

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Cooling / Condenser Fan
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 05:08:45 PM »
Gen 1 Montero 4-cylinders do not have engine oil coolers. The automatic models do have trans coolers.
1988 Max SPX Extended Cab 4wd with Service Body & Starion Power
1980 Dodge W400 service truck

For Sale: 1983 Montero #277, 1989 Power Ram 50 extended cab
Sundry Gen 1 Montero and Gen 1 & 2 Mighty Max parts and vehicles for sale

MudRaider

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 06:36:23 PM »

#5. If you have a body lift, lower radiator to compensate for body lift.

More to come....
This is if you are using the stock fan clutch set up, correct? Unless you make a lowered fan shroud set up?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 09:47:37 PM »
I think he means don't just be one of those dudes who takes the bottom half off the fan shroud for a body lift,  because that reduces the fan's efficiency by a huge amount.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Global Moderator
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 01:36:10 PM »
Pa_Jero, weren't you also going to do a transmission cooler delete from your new radiator? I can see why you might want to, but I can also cite a reason you may not...

Some of us enterprising AZ guys have also rigged up a switch on that condenser fan motor to be able to switch between a/c only use and constant-on. It's not too tough to figure out how.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero