Author Topic: Front Axles/CV Joints  (Read 1798 times)

BayMonty

Front Axles/CV Joints
« on: August 04, 2017, 09:29:41 PM »
Has anyone rebuilt their front axles/cv joint/boots? I need to rebuild or replace. No clicking yet but the boot are ripped. Called into the dealer and they want $1780 for both left and right and the shaft. Would a junkyard axle with intact boots be okay?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
Re: Front Axles/CV Joints
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 09:34:45 PM »
I picked up a pair of newly manufactured aftermarket for around 100 $ on eBay...

BayMonty

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 09:41:45 PM »
I picked up a pair of newly manufactured aftermarket for around 100 $ on eBay...

How have they worked out? Mitsubishi wants $1700 for both left and right and mid shaft

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 11:16:40 PM »
You can reboot your cv's for about $50 to $60. Take your stock cv's apart and get all of the old grease out. Then pack new grease in joints and put new boots on, takes about an hour if your moving at a moderate speed per cv with them out of the truck. If you need to pull them, reboot them, then reinstall allow about 6 hours for this if you are ok mechanically.

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 11:19:22 PM »
Actually, this would be a great video to document for montero cv's specifically. An official ADD cv boot rebuilding video. I have 2 sets that need rebooting, just need someone with a solid camera and editing skills.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 05:27:49 AM »
I have mediocre cameras and bad editing capabilities, and am willing to do it if no better options appear.

BayMonty

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 02:00:43 PM »
You can reboot your cv's for about $50 to $60. Take your stock cv's apart and get all of the old grease out. Then pack new grease in joints and put new boots on, takes about an hour if your moving at a moderate speed per cv with them out of the truck. If you need to pull them, reboot them, then reinstall allow about 6 hours for this if you are ok mechanically.

Thanks for the info!

Actually, this would be a great video to document for montero cv's specifically. An official ADD cv boot rebuilding video. I have 2 sets that need rebooting, just need someone with a solid camera and editing skills.

I actually used to own a small media production company. I have access to some good cameras still...and I can edit. Unfortunately, I work about 50-60 hours a week and shooting/editing would probably take longer than wanted. It would be cool to have members post videos tutorials so everyone can benefit.

BayMonty

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »
I'll be rebuilding the front axles. I also bought the left and right axles and right inner shaft from a 99' donor on eBay and will rebuild those and swap them in. I'll rebuild my set and keep those as a spare. Thanks everyone!

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 02:52:42 PM »
Also, one other bit of info for those wanting to rebuild/reboot cv's. If you stumble upon a 94 - 96 SR model with a 3.5 engine, those axles are 100mm cv joints. Some 97's also have 100mm cv's. But other 97 's and 98 - 00 use 95mm cv joints. Yes, there is a pretty substantial difference in strength, so when those of you who find the right monteros in the junk yard or ebay, buy them up for spares. Best buy for your dollar because 95mm work, just not the best you can get. Aftermarket may not even get you over one hard obstacle with baby tires, so keep this in mind while at the junkyards.

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 04:43:55 PM »
Same on Sport pieces? Hoping with fingers crossed...
1988 Max SPX Extended Cab 4wd with Service Body & Starion Power
1980 Dodge W400 service truck

For Sale: 1983 Montero #277, 1989 Power Ram 50 extended cab
Sundry Gen 1 Montero and Gen 1 & 2 Mighty Max parts and vehicles for sale

BayMonty

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 09:27:25 PM »
What other parts are good to keep for spares? What are the most common parts that fail/break when on trails?

MudRaider

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 10:03:59 PM »
What other parts are good to keep for spares? What are the most common parts that fail/break when on trails?

That a whole nother post dependant on year and model.

BayMonty

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 11:19:55 PM »

That a whole nother post dependant on year and model.

::)

2000 Montero