Author Topic: Leaky battery kill new alternator?  (Read 1068 times)

DR1665

• the agile gearhead
Leaky battery kill new alternator?
« on: August 05, 2017, 06:25:52 PM »
Alternator died.

In the months leading up to the alternator dying, the battery died. I replaced the battery just over a month ago on July 3rd. It's been leaking from the caps ever since.

The posts are cleaned and protected. I've had to add distilled water at least twice. It might even be swelling a bit on the sides. Basically, it's a hot mess.

Just put a new alternator on this morning. Battery was charged to 12.5VDC before I started, seeing 14.2VDC after 30 second idle with new alternator.

Drove it around for a couple hours in 107F heat with the AC running full blast. Voltmeter on dash is slow, but seems to settle around vertical. (Tests before and after alternator replacement suggest it reads about 2V low.)

Battery is still leaking. Like, almost pooling on top.

And I noticed the dash gauge dipping by "about 1V" while sitting at a red light during this drive.

I've read a lot suggesting overcharging can cause electrolyte boil, but the alternator wasn't even putting out 12V before it died. And I've also read a near-dead battery can kill an alternator.

What should I do about this battery? I'm worried it could kill my new alternator, ya know? Thanks.
The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
Re: Leaky battery kill new alternator?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 06:50:18 PM »
I'd start off with having the battery tested at any local auto parts store, vato or oh-really has a cute handheld tester. That's how they determined my 2 year old battery from them, bought in september of 2015, was junk. Their warranty sucks, my saturday has sucked.

DR1665

• the agile gearhead
Re: Leaky battery kill new alternator?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:32:07 AM »
Good call. Sorry you had a rough day of it, brother.
The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)