Author Topic: 2003 Montero VR4  (Read 1332 times)

bacca

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
2003 Montero VR4
« on: August 10, 2017, 08:23:06 PM »
Hi Montero Enthusiasts! David Lesser here. Thanks to adventure driven design for hosting a forum as Facebook is not an easy place to track a build or find info.

I will start off by giving everyone some background info. My first vehicle was a DSM (back in 2000). That got me hooked on boost and Mitsubishi's. I spend a good 5 years ignoring the fact that cars can turn or vehicles can drive over something other than a straight, flat road. But that was then and today I am a much more cultured enthusiast.

So, lets dive right in to the good stuff as no one will care to hear my life story.

Goal: The Goal of this project is to install the 6g72TT motor in a 2003 Montero TAE. I want to retain all the feature of the TAE including traction control. This vehicle will be a road queen. Not to be used for trails but where I live means it will see snow and dirt along with the highway and canyons.

What I already have:

1992 Dodge Stealth RT TT. I paid 2k for the vehicle which had 100k miles but no title (long story involving towing yards, etc). I bought it in a non running condition but it had a large amount of after market parts. I first attempted to make it run but when trying to fire the vehicle the oil pan would fill with gas. The plan was to rebuild the motor anyway so I did not mess with it too much and pulled the motor. I took the motor apart and found that it looks like the wrong rings were installed among other small problems. Nothing that a machine shop cant easily fix. The heads were amazingly clean. Probably due to all that gas but the heads are going to the machine shop to be checked (the block is already there). This vehicle came with larger injectors, AEM series 2 ECU, larger fuel rail, and stock 9b turbos. It had a massive front mount I kept and I put the aluminum radiator on my Galant VR4. I sold the transmission, transfer case, and other various parts (climate control..etc). At this point I have recovered the 2k and I still have a decent stash of parts to sell.

2003 TAE. I just picked this vehicle up for 1k. It has rod knock and smokes badly. I needed the Plenum for my 03 Limited so I took that off. It's in great condition and its black (love how they look when the whole vehicle is one color). I did drive this vehicle on to the trailer and tested to make sure it shifts. No check engine codes were found.

Recap of Parts I have
Full 6G72TT motor including manifold, turbos, alternator, etc...everything
AEM Series 2 ECU
Full 6G75 motor
Front Mount Intercooler

Parts that will be custom made once the motor is in the vehicle. I have some local guys willing to take it on. It won't be cheap.
Exhaust manifolds....probably going to be top mount on the turbo's so they fit
Intercooler piping
Intake pipe
Exhaust

The Problem: Drive by wire and the ECU controls the transmission in a Gen 3. Diagram in FSM shows the ECU needs the accelerator pedal position sensor and crank sensor input for the transmission control.

I have come up with two possible ways to make this work. A parallel ECU install or a reflash with the stock ECU in the 03.

Parallel ECU Install
With this method I would install the Series 2 AEM along side my current ECU. I would then use a throttle body from an 3.5XLS (or the 6g72tt one) and run a cable to convert from drive by wire to drive by cable (without removing the accelerator pedal position sensor). I would need to modify the ECU in the 03 and keep the accelerator pedal position sensor. This is needed due to the ECU controlling the transmission. This method will require a lot of trial and error and may end up not working. The Series 2 can not do drive by wire but from what I know, I need the ECU in the 03 for the transmission

Stock ECU Reflash
With this method I would attempt to swap over the sensors from the 6G75 to the 6G72TT motor. I would keep the 6G75 throttle body and I would reflash the ECU to get the correct maps created. I am worried about finding XML files for the ECU in an 03 Montero. Its possible I would need to create those. I may have someone lined up to take that on. If we have XML files then flashing other Gen 3 montero's would be possible. In my opinion, this would be the best option if its possible.

Current Status:
6G72TT - Block at the shop, heads going in soon
6G75 - Still in the car, using it to test manifold fit for my 03 Limited (I have two Gen 3's if thats not clear).
Turbo's - Still in good condition
Misc Stuff - Alternator, PS Pump, Injectors, Coils, etc all ready to be put back on. Just not sure which ones I will be using.

Some unknowns I am aware of
Mounting points on the block...what will fit and what not fit.
I am confident the transmission will bolt up but would love if someone knew for sure. This is a deal breaker most likely if it does not.

Next Steps: Get both motors on an engine stand, side by side to really see if this is possible. I can easily sell what I have and walk away with profit at this point. Only my time will be lost. Feel free to tell me I am crazy, I hear that a lot.

Other Info that matters:
This is one of a few project I have going on. So work on this project will be slow till I finish the 5vz motor swap in my Baja truck and I have a car arriving from Japan in the next 30 days that will get my attention. Most of the work is being done at a shop I have access to but I am storing the 03 TAE at my house till the 6G72TT is ready.

I would love to hear what everyone thinks about it working or not working. Feel free to tell me where I will go wrong or tell me why it wont work. It could save me a lot of time! Or I may just attempt to push through it as I have been known to do.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: 2003 Montero VR4
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 04:35:36 PM »
 Welcome! One of our members is building a 6G74TT for his SR, would be cool to see more turbocharged Monteros about.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 11:05:49 PM »
Using a 98 or 99 montero would be easier. Ecu is easy to tune. 2003 is doable i think but as you mentioned it has the tcu included as well. Because of that they arent as well mapped out. Also turbocharging is a large obstacle to tackle. More variables to plan out for. Can say ive seen anyone complete one. Once i get tired of my Mivec build I will likely do this as well, but until then i enjoy the simplicity.

Oh and your trans will bolt up no problem. All 6g7* blocks have the same trans bolt pattern.

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 10:01:02 PM »
Best way to go about this is to take the turbo head and put them on 6G74 block.. This how the 3000Gt racers make tons of power on turbo cars.
Sell the series 2 and get the infinity to drive the truck. You should be able to program the Infinity EMS for the drive by wire. I was looking at using one of these for Mivec build if I get around to it.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/files/pr/2014-04-15_Infinity_Coyote/2014-04_15_Infinity_Coyote_PR.html

Hi Montero Enthusiasts! David Lesser here. Thanks to adventure driven design for hosting a forum as Facebook is not an easy place to track a build or find info.

I will start off by giving everyone some background info. My first vehicle was a DSM (back in 2000). That got me hooked on boost and Mitsubishi's. I spend a good 5 years ignoring the fact that cars can turn or vehicles can drive over something other than a straight, flat road. But that was then and today I am a much more cultured enthusiast.

So, lets dive right in to the good stuff as no one will care to hear my life story.

Goal: The Goal of this project is to install the 6g72TT motor in a 2003 Montero TAE. I want to retain all the feature of the TAE including traction control. This vehicle will be a road queen. Not to be used for trails but where I live means it will see snow and dirt along with the highway and canyons.

What I already have:

1992 Dodge Stealth RT TT. I paid 2k for the vehicle which had 100k miles but no title (long story involving towing yards, etc). I bought it in a non running condition but it had a large amount of after market parts. I first attempted to make it run but when trying to fire the vehicle the oil pan would fill with gas. The plan was to rebuild the motor anyway so I did not mess with it too much and pulled the motor. I took the motor apart and found that it looks like the wrong rings were installed among other small problems. Nothing that a machine shop cant easily fix. The heads were amazingly clean. Probably due to all that gas but the heads are going to the machine shop to be checked (the block is already there). This vehicle came with larger injectors, AEM series 2 ECU, larger fuel rail, and stock 9b turbos. It had a massive front mount I kept and I put the aluminum radiator on my Galant VR4. I sold the transmission, transfer case, and other various parts (climate control..etc). At this point I have recovered the 2k and I still have a decent stash of parts to sell.

2003 TAE. I just picked this vehicle up for 1k. It has rod knock and smokes badly. I needed the Plenum for my 03 Limited so I took that off. It's in great condition and its black (love how they look when the whole vehicle is one color). I did drive this vehicle on to the trailer and tested to make sure it shifts. No check engine codes were found.

Recap of Parts I have
Full 6G72TT motor including manifold, turbos, alternator, etc...everything
AEM Series 2 ECU
Full 6G75 motor
Front Mount Intercooler

Parts that will be custom made once the motor is in the vehicle. I have some local guys willing to take it on. It won't be cheap.
Exhaust manifolds....probably going to be top mount on the turbo's so they fit
Intercooler piping
Intake pipe
Exhaust

The Problem: Drive by wire and the ECU controls the transmission in a Gen 3. Diagram in FSM shows the ECU needs the accelerator pedal position sensor and crank sensor input for the transmission control.

I have come up with two possible ways to make this work. A parallel ECU install or a reflash with the stock ECU in the 03.

Parallel ECU Install
With this method I would install the Series 2 AEM along side my current ECU. I would then use a throttle body from an 3.5XLS (or the 6g72tt one) and run a cable to convert from drive by wire to drive by cable (without removing the accelerator pedal position sensor). I would need to modify the ECU in the 03 and keep the accelerator pedal position sensor. This is needed due to the ECU controlling the transmission. This method will require a lot of trial and error and may end up not working. The Series 2 can not do drive by wire but from what I know, I need the ECU in the 03 for the transmission

Stock ECU Reflash
With this method I would attempt to swap over the sensors from the 6G75 to the 6G72TT motor. I would keep the 6G75 throttle body and I would reflash the ECU to get the correct maps created. I am worried about finding XML files for the ECU in an 03 Montero. Its possible I would need to create those. I may have someone lined up to take that on. If we have XML files then flashing other Gen 3 montero's would be possible. In my opinion, this would be the best option if its possible.

Current Status:
6G72TT - Block at the shop, heads going in soon
6G75 - Still in the car, using it to test manifold fit for my 03 Limited (I have two Gen 3's if thats not clear).
Turbo's - Still in good condition
Misc Stuff - Alternator, PS Pump, Injectors, Coils, etc all ready to be put back on. Just not sure which ones I will be using.

Some unknowns I am aware of
Mounting points on the block...what will fit and what not fit.
I am confident the transmission will bolt up but would love if someone knew for sure. This is a deal breaker most likely if it does not.

Next Steps: Get both motors on an engine stand, side by side to really see if this is possible. I can easily sell what I have and walk away with profit at this point. Only my time will be lost. Feel free to tell me I am crazy, I hear that a lot.

Other Info that matters:
This is one of a few project I have going on. So work on this project will be slow till I finish the 5vz motor swap in my Baja truck and I have a car arriving from Japan in the next 30 days that will get my attention. Most of the work is being done at a shop I have access to but I am storing the 03 TAE at my house till the 6G72TT is ready.

I would love to hear what everyone thinks about it working or not working. Feel free to tell me where I will go wrong or tell me why it wont work. It could save me a lot of time! Or I may just attempt to push through it as I have been known to do.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 11:44:50 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but he has a 75 block. The TT heads will not properly fit. Also the stock 75 heads should flow as good or better than the TT heads. Especially if you plan on bigger cams. Some nice improvements in the later heads. One would need to upgrade the slings though for forced induction.

bacca

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 06:44:54 AM »
Originally the plan was to use a Gen 2.5...but this 2003 TAE kinda fell into my lap. The drive by wire is easy to solve with different stand alone options but if possible I want to keep that stock ECU. I was not planning on switch heads....just dropping in the complete 6G72TT. Then figure out which PS Pump, Alternator, AC, etc to use. I need to find a way to move over the coil on plugs, crank sensor, cam sensors, etc. There is a lot of info out there about how the 6g72TT sensors output data so I can keep them if its close enough to what the 6g75 sensors signal.

The 6G75 Block would need a full rebuild to be used. Yet, everything will depend on finding XML files for the 2003 Montero ECU. I put a few feelers out there to see if anyone has made these yet or not. It would be useful for all Gen 3 owners.

Thanks for the input. I still think the next step is to get both engines on a stand next to each other. Then a nice photo shoot and measurements to see what will work.

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 03:20:54 PM »
I think it would be easier to install a built Mivec g675 motor and super charge it.

Originally the plan was to use a Gen 2.5...but this 2003 TAE kinda fell into my lap. The drive by wire is easy to solve with different stand alone options but if possible I want to keep that stock ECU. I was not planning on switch heads....just dropping in the complete 6G72TT. Then figure out which PS Pump, Alternator, AC, etc to use. I need to find a way to move over the coil on plugs, crank sensor, cam sensors, etc. There is a lot of info out there about how the 6g72TT sensors output data so I can keep them if its close enough to what the 6g75 sensors signal.

The 6G75 Block would need a full rebuild to be used. Yet, everything will depend on finding XML files for the 2003 Montero ECU. I put a few feelers out there to see if anyone has made these yet or not. It would be useful for all Gen 3 owners.

Thanks for the input. I still think the next step is to get both engines on a stand next to each other. Then a nice photo shoot and measurements to see what will work.