Author Topic: An adventure from the past - wedding day wheeling  (Read 1966 times)

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
An adventure from the past - wedding day wheeling
« on: August 13, 2017, 11:40:14 PM »
Rewind your clocks to July 30th of 1999. I'm driving an 89 Raider. Will Smith is singing about the "Wild Wild West", and some new blonde teeny bopper whines about a Genie In a Bottle. Clearly she isn't going anywhere (cough cough Christina Aguilera). Its a beautiful sunny day. In the afternoon I have an appointment at a church, where I am going to get married to a great gal. But that's not until 3:00 and its only 10. All my best buds are around (except my buddy with the 4wd pickup - he's not off work till noon). Let's go 4 wheeling!

We find a section of forest not too far from home, and have some fun. Its getting near time to go back and get ready, but there's one field I want to try. It looks a little muddy....

I almost make it.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:16:03 AM by PajEvo »

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
Re: An adventure from the past - wedding wheeling
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 12:01:51 AM »
Conclusion:

My brother started pushing (after he took off his shirt to wipe the mud off his face), my tires dug deeper, and somehow his t-shirt disappeared under the wheels, never to be seen again. I am royally stuck. My buddy with the pickup wasn't going to be at the house till later, and this was 1999 so the Motorola StarTac wasn't a common pocket item yet. The other rig along with us, a Suzi Sidekick, was being driven by my fiancee's identical twin sister's new boyfriend (later he'd become my brother in law). Smartly, he refused to dive into the mud to retrieve us (tow strap was short by a country mile) claiming it wasn't his vehicle, but he did volunteer to go get help....

An hour later my buddy came back with a longer tow strap and his 4wd Mazda B2600 to hitch me out, so I could go get hitched. We got back to my parent's place missing front and rear bumper corners, but replaced with many more pounds of dripping mud. My Dad had me park on the street, hosed us off in the driveway, and made us leave our clothes on the lawn. Someone had had the foresight to order pizza before we got back, and we were well under way to getting cleaned and dressed, pizzas half gone, along with a few brewskies, when the phone rang... "Guys that's the bride. And she's right, we ARE supposed to be at the church by now!" Uh oh. Clearly we weren't taking my truck so I was chauffeured in style in a hastily borrowed LR Discovery. We arrived just ahead of the limo carrying the bride and maids of honour and hurried up the aisle to the front of the church (apparently people WILL seat themselves if there are no groomsmen to usher them in).

Just as the wedding music started I remember feeling something in my hair, and I pulled an errant clump of dried mud off my head as the doors opened at the back of the church...

Later at the reception, we went outside the fancy hotel to get some air between dances when I noticed a small knot of people pointing and tut-tutting toward the back of the parking lot. Among the shiny vehicles a very muddy blue Raider conspicuously spread a pool of wet dirt. My very understanding new wife rolled her eyes, said "I should have known..." and pulled me back inside.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:18:10 AM by PajEvo »

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: An adventure from the past - wedding day wheeling
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 07:59:30 AM »
What a great story, makes me want to post some of mine. Thanks Phil :)

Mitch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 01:55:49 PM »
I can't believe you actually did that on your wedding day; you were late (maybe not technically, but certainly in spirit), no groomsmen were on hand to seat the guests, and you still had some mud on your head.  Yet, your saint of a wife went through with it.  Paula...well...let's just say I would be serving her as a eunuch.

That is a great story.

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 10:34:13 PM »
Your the MAN Phil!!! I'm going to start living by your examples.

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 05:12:20 PM »
I dunno Kev, I have the impression that you've set some pretty bold examples yourself. ;)

But thanks for reading. She's still with me, even with Betsy EIGHT crossing the Pacific as we speak, and talk on the wind of Betsy NINE. So either she's in it for the long haul, I'm a good cook, or the pickings are slim up this way. I quite deliberately didn't put my acerbic wit on the list. She doesn't get that like you do buddy!!

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »
Pretty sure i've a pic somewhere of the poor bedragged Raider, left to its own soil erosion at the back of that parking lot. I'll have to do some digging. Digging? Right?

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 05:31:37 PM »
Hahaha! The key to my success, is set the bar really low...just when you think the bar is low enough, go lower. Now everything I do later in this life exceeds her expectations.

But seriously, dig up that picture. I would love to see that.

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 07:30:21 PM »
We took our first Montero and trailer on a trip to Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, and Phoenix from San Bernardino...1,500 mile road trip...for our second anniversary. Cheers.
1988 Max SPX Extended Cab 4wd with Service Body & Starion Power
1980 Dodge W400 service truck

For Sale: 1983 Montero #277, 1989 Power Ram 50 extended cab
Sundry Gen 1 Montero and Gen 1 & 2 Mighty Max parts and vehicles for sale

FordyceCreek

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 12:59:37 PM »
For my first wedding we four wheeled to the venue from Dead Horse via Longs Canyon. Then spent a couple of days wheeling. My mother got lost and even on such an easy trail her Subaru was terrible. Whole family did White Rim, I had 3 of my own 4x4s. Second wedding there was not time so we road a tram  :(
My name is Lloyd. Cross overs are for chicks, I like my Woman hot and nasty, Pizza,(Courtesy of Pat for 2018) AC/DC and my favorite trails are Hole-N-The-Rock and Fordyce Creek.

1996 Montero, 37" BFG, 4:1 Rocktrac, 4:88, ARB and Factory Lockers, GPS Speedo, SAS
2015 4 Runner TRD Pro Inferno with sliders and a rack
2018 Flame Red Power Wagon. Luxo package and Dual Alternators. Sliders, Extra Skids, wireless remote. What the hell else do you need on a PW?