Author Topic: New to Monteros (but not Mitsubishis) - 1985 Montero SWB  (Read 11232 times)

engiekev

• I have a Mitsubishi Addiction
New to Monteros (but not Mitsubishis) - 1985 Montero SWB
« on: August 22, 2017, 10:21:06 AM »
I've been owning (more wrenching than driving) Mitsubishis since I was 15, and I still have my first car in the garage, a 1990 Eagle Talon TSi. 

Over the years I have owned:
-1995 Eclipse GST
-1992 Eagle Talon non-turbo
-1999 Eclipse GSX
-1999 Eclipse GSX #2 (http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-mitsubishi-eclipse-gsx-2/)

And still own:
-1990 Eagle Talon TSi (My first car)

-1992 Galant VR4 #367/1000

After getting suckered into the Mitsubishi offroad scene by the Auto-Offtopic podcast crew my girlfriend and I are now addicted to all things Montero (damn you!) .  Brad and Andrew promptly got me up to speed on what to look for, and ADD helped give a little push as well! 

Browsing craigslist nationally, I happened to find this beauty https://saginaw.craigslist.org/cto/d/1985-mitsubishi-montero-2dr/6215049037.html and promptly picked it up.  It is a 1985 2.6L 5-speed with 132k miles and no body rust. 

The person selling the car still lived in Oregon, but his cousin was keeping the vehicle for him in Bay City, MI.  Long story short, the seller was up in the mountains without service, but we somehow worked out a deal with his brother and cousin, and drove away with the truck and title!  The ride home was interesting, as this was both our first time driving a montero.  Upon getting it home, I noticed the throttle return spring was binding and not allowing the weber carb to fully open to WOT, only two of the plates were opening.  Fixed that up and now it drives quite nice!

It appears to have only been in OR from 2011+, and before that only in CA.  It is nearly rust free, only surface rust on some subframe components.  It has a weber carb that needs tuning, and some toyota 15x7 wheels and 31x10.5x15 tires, other than that it is bone stock.  I will be working with my new-to-mitsubishi-wrenching girlfriend to restore this beauty to its true glory.

Plans are:
-Maintenence catcup: all fluids, belts, plugs, wires, brakes, etc.
-New KYB shocks (can't beat the price)
-Newer 31x10.5x15 tires (current ones are very very old)
-Exhaust needs to be replaced, maybe a header is in the cards from DG headers in CA...
-Keep it stock appearing and drive it!

Check out my IG @engiekev for pictures and videos of the truck! 

Hope to keep this truck alive and maybe get another Gen 1 or two ;)

Crumb

Re: New to Monteros (but not Mitsubishis) - 1985 Montero SWB
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 04:38:40 PM »
 Awesome! Welcome to the forum.

engiekev

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 04:46:24 AM »
Sorry I'm late on the pics!

Making progress.  The GF cleaned the original carpet with a powerwasher, pulled the seats, and washed the seat cover upholstery.  Next step is cleaning up the base shell, and finding some sound deadener to lay down before the carpet.

Mechanicals getting some attention too: fluid change for the transfer case, rear diff, front diff, and transmission.  Valve cover gasket in progress, will also be checking the valve lash and adjusting the jet valves, changing the plugs, and checking/setting base timing.  Engine looks clean!

johneric

• Should have made that left...
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 09:07:09 AM »
pics working fine - welcome to gen 1 nation!
1989 Montero SP
3.0L V6 SWB

engiekev

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 05:14:57 AM »
Bought the book from a local, didn't come with the truck.

More progress!  Finished the full fluid swap, valve cover gasket, spark plugs (old plugs some were finger tight  :o ), and roughly tuning the carb.  I will be installing a wideband AFR meter to tune the carb, I work for OEMs doing engine calibration so a carb is fun to work on.

Interior deep cleaning is nearly complete, seat covers were pulled and washed in the washing machine, carpet power washed.

Will be adding sound deadener material on the carpet, and on various parts of the body before we re-install the interior. 

Pics to come!

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 10:43:19 AM »
Loving this thread, and should almost be required reading for newbies! Doing all the right things to start, buddy! I also had several very similar Gen1's, including my very first, a silver 88 with the 2.6L.

Welcome! Love that pic with the FSM and tools under the hood!

Hooots

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 11:07:31 AM »
Will be adding sound deadener material on the carpet, and on various parts of the body before we re-install the interior.

If ya don't mind me askin...................which product you going with for the sound deadening ?
"AZPAJERO" - 1997 Gen 2 Montero SR, 5.29 gears, 37" tires, Detroit front locker, Factory rear

Follow IG: https://www.instagram.com/azpajero/

engiekev

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 04:03:33 AM »
I called a local audio shop, they quoted waaay to high but the sales person was nice enough to give some cheaper recommendations. He recommended going to home Depot or Lowe's, looking for 1/4 to 1/8 in thick thermal insulation for walk in freezers, and 1/2 thick compressed foam. 

I didn't find either, but got 1/8" thick pipe insulation that looked similar enough, and regular carpet foam.

We installed the piping insulation in the doors inside, and outside panels, and then recovered the factory plastic seal using a plastic drop cloth and permatex right stuff. The doors now sound extremely sold when closing, haven't driven the car to see how it improves road noise but it must be better than the stock bare metal

There is a lot of good info out there on proper sound insulation, basically you need some mass damper on any panel that will vibrate.  This cheap stuff works good enough.  There's a product you can spray on called lizard skin, but its very expensive.  To do this the right way, I would've bought some legit mass dampers for sound deadening, but this was on the cheap and I needed something today!

Started with this (AFTER cleaning, everything was covered with a thick layer of california desert dust! Had to powerwash and degrease the whole interior first!):

Door Panel starting point:

After sound deadener:

After re-sealing with drop cloth plastic and permatex right stuff:

Materials used:

0.125-in Foam Plumbing Pipe Wrap Insulation
Item #:28929 Model #: FV516 (LOWES)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-0-125-in-Foam-Plumbing-Pipe-Wrap-Insulation/1081449

1 Roll was enough to do both doors, would need more to do the rear trunk and the wheel wells.  Since we dont have rear carpet yet, we will wait to do the wheel wells.

Drew84

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 10:20:32 AM »
Sorry not sorry for getting you into the Trucks.  ;)
Keep your cars analog.
1990 Talon TSi
1991 Galant VR4
1999 Montero "Cold weather"

MudRaider

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 07:36:47 PM »
Sorry not sorry for getting you into the Trucks.  ;)

Said in his best PeeWee Herman voice. Great thread, looking forward to updates.

engiekev

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 05:22:08 AM »
Busted our butts today getting the front end rebuilt and finishing the interior.  Pics to come of the finished interior, it may have ended up with some Sedona, AZ style kitchy seat covers and steering wheel cover to protect them and keep a sweet retro desert theme.

Before the work, after a thorough degreasing and power washing.

Front end getting some love

After, mostly done, sorry didn't get a good finished shot as were down to the wire to get it done yesterday!

Hooots

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 11:52:35 AM »
Dude, bummer the pics aren't showing, would love to see it.

Thanks for sharing info on the deadner you used. While I agree there is "lot of good info out there," in my opinion there is "TOO MUCH INFO OUT THERE." I read up and think I want something, then don't because that particular product smells like tar. So I start over and think I find something "then come to find out it doesn't do too well in the heat (i live in AZ)...so then i start over and find something, but then I find out it doesn't have adhesive back.......I think i'm just going to go to lowes and pick up the cheap stuff everyone talks about......something is better than nothing i suppose....amiright???

"AZPAJERO" - 1997 Gen 2 Montero SR, 5.29 gears, 37" tires, Detroit front locker, Factory rear

Follow IG: https://www.instagram.com/azpajero/

engiekev

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 03:51:11 PM »
Weird, I can get em to work sometimes...I re-host on imgur later to fix it. 

Please let me know if the pics worked! Tried to fix it again.

engiekev

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 06:35:33 AM »
I would just give the Lowes stuff a shot, its so cheap and its meant for insulation on outdoor exposed pipes.  Make sure you clean the surface with acetone first so it sticks well.  Time will tell if it holds up to heat!

The interior is so quiet now all we hear is the engine roar  ;D Need to fix some exhaust leaks and get a fan shroud, it's noisy!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-0-125-in-Foam-Plumbing-Pipe-Wrap-Insulation/1081449

Dude, bummer the pics aren't showing, would love to see it.

Thanks for sharing info on the deadner you used. While I agree there is "lot of good info out there," in my opinion there is "TOO MUCH INFO OUT THERE." I read up and think I want something, then don't because that particular product smells like tar. So I start over and think I find something "then come to find out it doesn't do too well in the heat (i live in AZ)...so then i start over and find something, but then I find out it doesn't have adhesive back.......I think i'm just going to go to lowes and pick up the cheap stuff everyone talks about......something is better than nothing i suppose....amiright???

MudRaider

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 08:19:00 AM »
A fan shroud is a definite must have down there in AZ. Factory you have a great cooling system, don't compromise it by NOT forcing air thru the rsdiator.