Author Topic: Gen 2.5 Tranmission filter change  (Read 1263 times)

Drew84

• View Profile
    • Auto Off Topic Podcast
Gen 2.5 Tranmission filter change
« on: August 27, 2017, 11:09:57 AM »
This might work for early Gen 2 trucks, check your FSM.

You will need, 6-7qts of SPIII (SP3) various hand tools. 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm sockets, extensions, and wrenches. 1/4" and 3/8" drive. Large drain pan, gloves, and safety glasses.

Mitsubishi part number MZ320200 OR Rock auto carries ASIN brand SP3 under the part number AISIN ATFSP3. Next time I'll save 4 bucks a quart and order it from Rock Auto.

I used a WIX 58884 transmission filter from Rock Auto.

Pull the dipstick out of the transmission and place it aside. Raise and support the truck, remove the transmission drain plug and discard the old fluid. FYI a drain and fill on these trucks is about 6qts. Everyone has their own method of "flushing" an automatic transmission. I'm only going to cover dropping the pan and swapping the filter and cleaning the magnets.

Remove the T/Case skid plate or any other underbody protection you have that may be in the way. 4 12mm head bolts hold it on.

IMG_0343 by Andrew Pascarella, on Flickr

Support the transmission and t/case assembly with a jack. You have to remove the transmission cross member, so this part is important.

IMG_0350 by Andrew Pascarella, on Flickr

Loosen, but don't remove the transmission mount bolts. By doing that, the cross member can hang from the transmission as you remove the 4 bolts on each side. Makes it much easier to handle.

IMG_0345 by Andrew Pascarella, on Flickr

Remove the 4 bolts on both sides of the cross member, then remove the bolts from the transmission mount that cross member is hanging from. Inspect the transmission mount for damage and replace if needed. https://www.adventuredrivendesign.com/forums/index.php/topic,268.0.html

IMG_0274 by Andrew Pascarella, on Flickr

Remove the transmission mount adapter from the transmission. There are two 14mm head bolts.

IMG_0276 by Andrew Pascarella, on Flickr

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:49:25 AM by Drew84 »
Keep your cars analog.
1990 Talon TSi
1991 Galant VR4
1999 Montero "Cold weather"

Drew84

• View Profile
    • Auto Off Topic Podcast
Re: Gen 2.5 Tranmission filter change
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 11:19:32 AM »
I wish the image quality was better, but that's a huge time investment and it's easier just to shoot this with an iPhone as I do the repair.

With the ATF all drained out, start removing all the 10mm head bolts holding the pan in place. Have a big drain pan ready. The pan is glued in place from the factory with RTV, so it shouldn't* fall off... no guarantees.

IMG_0278 by Andrew Pascarella, on Flickr

The dip stick tube will separate just above at the bell housing. Nothing to unbolt here.

IMG_0277 by Andrew Pascarella, on Flickr
Keep your cars analog.
1990 Talon TSi
1991 Galant VR4

Drew84

• View Profile
    • Auto Off Topic Podcast
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 11:37:01 AM »
nock the pan off with a dead blow hammer and pull it down off the dipstick tube.

IMG_0279 by Andrew Pascarella, on Flickr

Remove the 8mm bolts holding the filter on and swap it with the new one. WARNING, it has fluid trapped above it that will splash everywhere. Don't over tighten the bolts reinstalling them. They are small steel bolts going into aluminum. Once they feel tight, just stop. try to alternate sides as you install them and make sure the gasket is seated where it needs to be.

IMG_0280 by Andrew Pascarella, on Flickr

Clean the mating surface for the pan up really nice.

IMG_0282 by Andrew Pascarella, on Flickr

Clean up the inside of the pan, clean the magents up. Install the new gasket and tighten the bolts evenly around the pan. Very light torque, just tighten them and then stop. Rest of installation is reverse of removal. I put a little white grease on the inside of the dipstick tube to help it slide back into place. Make sure the dipstick tube meets the part bolted to the transmission. Other wise you will have a huge mess when you add fluid back in.

Lower the truck, refill with 4qts, start it up and check the level. You'll probably need to add a few more quarts, making the total 6.
Keep your cars analog.
1990 Talon TSi
1991 Galant VR4

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 11:50:24 AM »
Awesome write-up, thanks for doing this.

No such thing as too fresh of juice in a transmission! 

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 07:20:44 AM »
Great write up man..beat me to it.
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

Hooots

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 04:03:44 PM »
First off......big thanks for posting this. It's extremely helpful to guys like me who are very 'green' at doing their own maintenance. Glad I found it because it differs from a write up I found on EXPO that said "there is no trans filter, just screen to prevent particle uptake"  ???

Anyway...here are my questions:

Would you ever recommend doing flush instead of just fill?

Also, what did you use to clean the magnets with? Reason I ask is I've heard some people say not to even check your transmission fluid with paper towel as to not contaminate ATF fluid.

Any special tricks cleaning the mating surfaces?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:54:40 PM by Hooots »
"AZPAJERO" - 1997 Gen 2 Montero SR, 5.29 gears, 37" tires, Detroit front locker, Factory rear

Follow IG: https://www.instagram.com/azpajero/

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 06:29:35 PM »
 Excellent write up, proper clean fluid makes things last long.