Author Topic: Gen 2 front brake rotor upgrade  (Read 3963 times)

RyanY

• I'm new here!
Gen 2 front brake rotor upgrade
« on: August 29, 2017, 01:12:26 PM »
Many Montero Sports came with a larger front brake setup than what the standard Gen 2 brakes have. It utilizes the same calipers and pads but 314mm rotors instead of 276mm rotors - this upgrade will only increase braking force slightly since the pad-to-rotor contact area remains the same, but it should make a significant difference in heat dissipation.

The necessary parts (brake caliper brackets and backing plates) can be sourced from any Montero Sport with the 16" wheel package - note that 16" wheels are required to clear the larger brake setup, stock 15" wheels won't work. I discovered that the 2wd Montero Sports have aluminum caliper mounting brackets while the 4wd versions are identical but made of steel. I chose to use the steel version since Mitsubishi evidently thought the extra strength was necessary. I sourced new OEM rotors from my local Mitsubishi dealer for $80/each.

I had an issue with the original brake hose being a little too short to reach the caliper in it's relocated position when the steering was at full lock. I temporarily removed the brake hose bracket to give it some extra length and am going to have some braided stainless lines made with some extra length built in. Alternatively, I would assume that installing a Montero Sport lower brake hose would solve the problem.

Attached photo shows the stock brake components compared to the Sport brake components.

Canyonero

• I need a nap
Re: Gen 2 front brake rotor upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 01:32:09 PM »
Great info!
1995 Montero SR
2" Body Lift
35"x 12" Cooper Discover STT tires
Currently dead but working on it.

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS - Daily Driver

Hooots

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 02:43:59 PM »
Very good info. Thanks for sharing.
"AZPAJERO" - 1997 Gen 2 Montero SR, 5.29 gears, 37" tires, Detroit front locker, Factory rear

Follow IG: https://www.instagram.com/azpajero/

MudRaider

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 08:40:48 PM »
Great info, thanks for sharing.

jaccox

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 05:14:50 AM »
So SS braided lines have to be custom made? Like there isn't a place to order some?
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 05:09:56 PM »
Ebay. Safebrake makes a complete set

evol911

• I'm new here!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 10:17:54 AM »
Is it official that the larger montero sport brakes won't fit the stock gen 2 15" wheels? I need to do my brakes and I don't want to upgrade with one buying tires/rims. Anyone have experience?

Crumb

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 11:23:58 AM »
Ernest got a 15 to fit the big rotor, it was an aftermarket 15 steelies though.

CharlieN

• Collector of Mitsubishi vehicles dating back to 71
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 03:11:04 PM »
Could I get a clarification on the aluminum brackets. Is there a particular year for these in the 2WD chassis because I seem to be finding just iron brackets. I have not chosen to just buy a set to gamble if I get Iron or alloy.
I am giving thought to go with PBR alloy calipers instead but I have quite a few sets of pads for the Montero fronts.
Regards, Charlie N

RyanY

• I'm new here!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 08:19:14 AM »
I didn't look at the year of the 2wd Sport that I found the aluminum brackets on, but the bodystyle was the same as the 4wd Sport I found the iron brackets on, which is why I assumed it was a 2wd vs 4wd difference.

CharlieN

• Collector of Mitsubishi vehicles dating back to 71
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 02:13:04 AM »
I have been trying to figure out some of these parts in ASA, best I can tell ASA shows the choice of brake rotors for 15 or 16" wheels but no selection of any caliper or bracket differences between the rotor sizes. Just show the 15" size parts.
 Kind of a PIA here in the northeast where we do not have pick & pull yards within driving range.
Regards, Charlie N