Author Topic: Gen 2.5 heater hoses - are there two unique parts?  (Read 2375 times)

DR1665

• the agile gearhead
Gen 2.5 heater hoses - are there two unique parts?
« on: August 30, 2017, 12:59:34 PM »
Looks like I'm going to be replacing heater hoses. TODAY.

AutoZone only has one part number and I got it. RockAuto doesn't appear to even list them. Nor does AM Autoparts.

I know there's two hoses. I can see them on the firewall. Should I use the pre-formed jobber I got from AutoZone yesterday, or just run bulk hose with a decent service loop like I've done in the past? What size is that, by the way? ;P

TIA
The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)

Crumb

Re: Gen 2.5 heater hoses - are there two unique parts?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »
OEM

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:46:58 PM »
There are two different hoses but if you had two of the longer one you could cut it down to also for the shorter one.

Or what I always do for the weird ass cars I end up owning I just take the hoses with me to the parts stores and compare them with whatever is hanging in their collection.  Can always cut off the parts you don't need if it's too long.   

That probably isn't a toasty approved practice but I pick my battles ;)

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 09:46:18 PM »
5/8" works. I use bulk hose and I'm stuck like a Band-Aid on siliconehose.com product. Like London Gold...it's the best! (Regional plug for a company I won't ever buy from, they're just on the radio a lot and annoying as hell). But the hose company makes really good stuff.

As for two different part numbers...YES. Their bends are vastly different.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

jaccox

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 05:12:00 AM »
DAYCO D87788 Universal Molded Heater Hose (1 needed, cut to fit)
DAYCO B87661 Universal Molded Heater Hose (1 needed, cut to fit)
Tis what I ended up using. But if you have the time to wait for silicone hoses I'd go that route. Also another JBFP pro tip is buy one of those flush T's and go ahead and put that inline to easily backflush the heater core for those routine flush maintenances.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 11:14:10 AM »
There are two different hoses but if you had two of the longer one you could cut it down to also for the shorter one.

Or what I always do for the weird ass cars I end up owning I just take the hoses with me to the parts stores and compare them with whatever is hanging in their collection.  Can always cut off the parts you don't need if it's too long.   

That probably isn't a toasty approved practice but I pick my battles ;)

I do this too, i've almost always found what I needed in just a few minutes. Cutting often required, but it's worth it to not fuss with chasing a hose all around town.

DR1665

• the agile gearhead
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 11:54:44 AM »
Thanks, fellas. I'd rather have gone with the OEM. Considering these were obviously OE and lasted 19 years, I'd say that's a good thing.

Due to time constraints—unable to get to work until fixed—I went with a Dayco 87610, which was long enough to replace both existing hoses, and set me back about $15.

Fezzik is keeping his cool again. Thank you.
The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)