Author Topic: Gen 2 Engine Swaps - Knowledge Dump  (Read 16598 times)

Crumb

Re: Gen 2 Engine Swaps - Knowledge Dump
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2019, 09:36:29 AM »
4BT is bigger than the engine bay, height and length. It's a fair amount of work to make it happen, not impossible. An easier cheaper diesel swap would be 4D56, takes less than a weekend so just do it.

Montero_Guy

• I'm new here!
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2019, 10:05:53 PM »
Anyone in the U.S have an LS swap? Sounds generic but I think it would be sweet. I've been looking for an aluminum 5.3 for a while (the 6g74 and the l33 weigh the same but l33 has 100 more hp/tq). I would feel bad leaving the super select, but adapters are more money that the actual engine and trans. 

Crumb

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2019, 07:02:45 AM »
There are a few guys with incomplete LS swaps, you know the typical engine in the bay but no progress for years after that. One guy on Pirate 4x4 did a really nice LS swap, custom width dana 60's and dual transfer cases. The problem was he got flamed and deleted all his pics and quit detailing his work, eventually he sold the thing on craigslist cheap and it never resurfaced.

Montero_Guy

• I'm new here!
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2019, 04:03:41 PM »
There are a few guys with incomplete LS swaps, you know the typical engine in the bay but no progress for years after that. One guy on Pirate 4x4 did a really nice LS swap, custom width dana 60's and dual transfer cases. The problem was he got flamed and deleted all his pics and quit detailing his work, eventually he sold the thing on craigslist cheap and it never resurfaced.

That is a bummer, that sounds like a sweet build, Im debating whether i should by a wrecked tahoe and live with the iron 5.3 and upgrade the suspension to support the weight of course, or hold out for a much more expensive L33. I have read up on the guy in australia that did it with a 5.7 ls1 and all he really did structurally was shift the passenger side motor mount a few inches and some radiator mounting stuff, I'm sure it will end up being more than that. Dana 60s and 40s would be heaven  ;D

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2019, 04:15:02 PM »

That is a bummer, that sounds like a sweet build, Im debating whether i should by a wrecked tahoe and live with the iron 5.3 and upgrade the suspension to support the weight of course, or hold out for a much more expensive L33. I have read up on the guy in australia that did it with a 5.7 ls1 and all he really did structurally was shift the passenger side motor mount a few inches and some radiator mounting stuff, I'm sure it will end up being more than that. Dana 60s and 40s would be heaven  ;D

I doubt the iron 5.3 is any real amount heavier.
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

Montero_Guy

• I'm new here!
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2019, 04:33:56 PM »

I have read that the 6g74 block weighs only 105 pounds, and the 5.3 iron block weighs 218, then factor in the heads and pistons and everything else, its a decent amount heavier, and i am sure the 4l60e and transfer case weigh more than the original but that is more in the center of the truck so its minimal.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2019, 04:42:35 PM »

I have read that the 6g74 block weighs only 105 pounds, and the 5.3 iron block weighs 218, then factor in the heads and pistons and everything else, its a decent amount heavier, and i am sure the 4l60e and transfer case weigh more than the original but that is more in the center of the truck so its minimal.

A completely dressed-as-factory 5.3 with every accessory, full harness and ecu is quoted at 580lbs pretty much everywhere on the internets.  6g7s vary wildly, but i'm seeing numbers in the 340s as un-dressed longblocks.

I'd be shocked if there was more than 100lbs difference.  All i'm saying is that i personally wouldn't bother modifying a suspension for that reason.  Do it for offroading stuff, chances are the bars will be heavier anyways.  ;)
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

Montero_Guy

• I'm new here!
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2019, 04:51:15 PM »
Well that sounds pretty good to me. The rear axle should handle it fine. The guy in Australia didn't even need to make a trans cross member, I'm surprised more people havent done them. Im used to V8s and the 3.5 is getting a little tired.

shoremontero

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2019, 04:24:52 PM »
Found a 6G72 12v from engine world for 750$. 6 month warranty, motor has less than 50k miles. He said the only thing different from USDM 6g72 12v to the JDM version is the intake manifold. Anyone know have any knowledge on JDM 6g72 montero motors?

shoremontero

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2019, 08:55:46 AM »
Found a 6G72 12v from engine world for 750$. 6 month warranty, motor has less than 50k miles. He said the only thing different from USDM 6g72 12v to the JDM version is the intake manifold. Anyone know have any knowledge on JDM 6g72 montero motors?

Damnit, i just spent $700 on a V8 to replace my blown 12v 6G72.

Sensing a bit of sarcasm? Not sure why I thought this was the place for information. Guess i'll look elsewhere for info and parts.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2019, 09:13:18 AM »
Surprised you couldn't find an early 6g72 SOHC. They are all around me here.