Author Topic: Gen 2 Engine Swaps - Knowledge Dump  (Read 22376 times)

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
Re: Gen 2 Engine Swaps - Knowledge Dump
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 09:10:50 AM »
I think they are going to be testing the ECU in 98 truck in the next couple weeks. Once that is going they should be ready to go on sale. That will add knock control(for swaps and stock motors) and the intake manifold control for swaps of 6g75 motors.. Next will be the testing in the 94-96 rigs.

Definitely keeping my eye on this topic especially the 75 drop in package kalieracer is working on.

This is something I plan to do down the road. 8)

Drew84

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 05:10:40 AM »
 Nice thread, looking forward to this.
Keep your cars analog.
1990 Talon TSi
1991 Galant VR4
1999 Montero "Cold weather"

PacS14

• I'm new here!
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 05:27:56 AM »
The 3.8 swap is going to next on my list. are the bosses cast in and just not tapped?

I've got the 3.8l 6g75 MIVEC in my 1990 Mighty Max. I don't think your options get any better than that. Everything bolt up just fine. One side of the block lacks a few motor mount bosses but there are ways around that.

Wiring harness isn't that bad either. I opted to use the existing one with my car and just ran a few extra lines for other circuits like knock, temp, o2, etc. I just made a conversion harness that clipped into my existing one. The real key is using the correct ecu. 98-99 montero and sport guys are in luck. You are perfectly poised to do virtually any 74 or 75 swap.

Man since I have a 99 sounds like I need to start saving for this other future mod! Sweet!

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2017, 12:24:50 AM »
The 3.8 swap is going to next on my list. are the bosses cast in and just not tapped?

I've got the 3.8l 6g75 MIVEC in my 1990 Mighty Max. I don't think your options get any better than that. Everything bolt up just fine. One side of the block lacks a few motor mount bosses but there are ways around that.

Wiring harness isn't that bad either. I opted to use the existing one with my car and just ran a few extra lines for other circuits like knock, temp, o2, etc. I just made a conversion harness that clipped into my existing one. The real key is using the correct ecu. 98-99 montero and sport guys are in luck. You are perfectly poised to do virtually any 74 or 75 swap.

Man since I have a 99 sounds like I need to start saving for this other future mod! Sweet!

Yes you are in luck. You just need to populate a couple circuits on your ecu (chrome ecu does this for you) and run a few more leads to your engine bay for knock, MIVEC. Then drop in your motor and tune.

wildbill99

• I'm new here!
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 01:04:50 AM »
Would I be able to replace 3.5 in a 97 SR with one from a 02 sport?

Crumb

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 04:41:26 PM »
 Yes, you will need to swap the oil pan and pickup and flexplate. I realized you have a 97 and I think those had a weird injector so you may need to swap those as well. The info is here in the injector tech thread.

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 08:44:23 AM »
Just follow the same procedure as the mivec without the new ECU. It will still require the same swapping over stuff and tapping / enlarging some bolt holes.

I realize it is a 3.8, but any unique things regarding swapping in a 2004-08 Endeavor 3.8 (not the MIVEC) ?  I have a 98, california.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 05:11:38 PM »
I canít recall at the moment but his block might have different mounting bosses from the MIVEC. May require less work for the motor mounts. Either way there are ways around that.

Other than that the installation will be similar and slightly easier.

RaptorReed

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 10:33:42 PM »
A note for the original post, 94 SRs were also DOHC 6g74, but without OBD2.

1UZFE for the trans stuff from what I can gather that you need to do,
Swap Torque Converter
Swap Bellhousing
Swap Trans input shaft

Wiring will be the biggest hurdle to get to work with the Mitsu AW4 as they seem to be different enough electrically, that some just decided to swap the whole trans altogether to make it all work. Will also need new engine mounts of course.
Tim
1994 Monterp SR
1992 Galant VR-4
1988 Starion
1976 Colt Galant

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2018, 09:13:49 AM »
You will also need to work out the management situation / wiring harness.

A note for the original post, 94 SRs were also DOHC 6g74, but without OBD2. The trans has it's own computer, but needs some single inputs from the ECU.

1UZFE for the trans stuff from what I can gather that you need to do,
Swap Torque Converter
Swap Bellhousing
Swap Trans input shaft

Wiring will be the biggest hurdle to get to work with the Mitsu AW4 as they seem to be different enough electrically, that some just decided to swap the whole trans altogether to make it all work. Will also need new engine mounts of course.

jiphone

• I'm new here!
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2018, 02:02:43 PM »
Forgive me if this has been answered before, but:
I have a 2004 Montero sport with a good engine, and a terrible chassis. I'm looking to buy a gen 2.5 1998 montero with a blown engine. If I want to use the 2004 3.5l from my Montero sport...what am I up against as far as wiring changes if any?
Thanks in advance!

Crumb

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2018, 04:56:41 PM »
Throttle body swap, extend a couple wires to the temp sensors, swap the Montero oil pan to the Sport engine and go driving. I have an '04 motor in my '99

Crumb

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2018, 04:58:24 PM »
Also everything is easier for me, so don't expect it to be an easy job like I'm suggesting it is.

jiphone

• I'm new here!
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2018, 08:31:41 AM »
I appreciate the reply, you and I may be more similar than you think..so sounds easy! The only thing that really had me concerned is that the ecu may have different inputs, if not then everything else should be easy.

shoremontero

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2019, 07:06:38 AM »
So my 6G72 12v finally gave up the ghost yesterday. 223k miles of reliability. Blew the head gasket and won't turn over now. Looking for swap ideas. How hard is it to go diesel? Say 4BT? I want something with torque not really worried about going fast. Or should I just find another 12v since their dirt cheap.