Author Topic: Know Before You Go, Bro!  (Read 1354 times)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
Know Before You Go, Bro!
« on: September 13, 2017, 04:43:20 PM »
Shit happens.   

If the worst happens to you and Search and Rescue needs to come look for you that can get really expensive.    But there's a bit of insurance for that.

Here are the resources you'll want to look into before traveling into the deep backcountry, especially if you're going alone. 

(I will organize better later, just getting the ball rolling for now)

Geography specific:

Colorado - https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dola/colorado-outdoor-recreation-search-and-rescue-card-good-investment-outdoor-enthusiasts?fref=gc&dti=1524789904446511

Utah - https://secure.utah.gov/rescue/

Nationwide:

American Alpine Club - if you're a member you get $5000 SAR insurance while hiking/climbing any peak.    I don't know the fine print, read it if you're interested.  https://americanalpineclub.org/
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:58:54 PM by Shovel »

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: Know Before You Go, Bro!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 04:46:24 PM »
Waddaboot Az?

I know, lazy.

FordyceCreek

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 11:17:10 AM »
Never needed anything like that, and cant imagine. And that is with ridiculous amounts of time in the wilderness. Closest we came was losing Hayduke on Hole-N-The-Rock and incident below. Ask around the campfire about Hayduke. Traveling in a group or being prepared really can avoid most any disaster.

That being said rescues can be caused by many things, however rarely is it only one clear cut event. Lets take a famous one from Mitsubishi lore.

1. I broke a CV AFTER conquering the Little Sluice like an idiot
2. We have no spare so chances of getting out with out a struggle are slim, we decide to spend a day working on a solution.
3. Someone in the group with a Gen 1 had not re-inforced his trailing arms. Automatic breakage of course will occur at some point. Even on easy trails.
4. The Gen 1 person decides he cant stick around one more day due to work and heads back out alone on the Con.
5. Gen 1 Driver donates water to rest of group since he is going home.
6. Gen 1 driver makes a wrong turn and takes the long route, lesser traveled way.
7. Becomes stuck alone.
8. Trailing Arm breaks.
9. Breaks Ankle trying to get un-stuck
10. Gen 1 Driver becomes dehydrated since he left his water with the rest of the group
11. Cannot call for help with out a short wave radio on the Con
12. Eventually gets rescued but misses tons of work and incurs huge costs getting vehicle out, medical and getting home

Afterwards we banned anyone from leaving early on a hard trail. But can you pick out the series of decisions that lead to this disaster? One specific issue the trailing arm was the critical to initiating the disaster or was it me breaking a CV? Or was it not taking enough time off from work? Or was it not re-enforcing the trailing arm? But becoming stranded and in serious danger involved numerous other variables.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:23:52 AM by FordyceCreek »
My name is Lloyd. Cross overs are for chicks, I like my Woman hot and nasty, Pizza,(Courtesy of Pat for 2018) AC/DC and my favorite trails are Hole-N-The-Rock and Fordyce Creek.

1996 Montero, 37" BFG, 4:1 Rocktrac, 4:88, ARB and Factory Lockers, GPS Speedo, SAS
2015 4 Runner TRD Pro Inferno with sliders and a rack
2018 Flame Red Power Wagon. Luxo package and Dual Alternators. Sliders, Extra Skids, wireless remote. What the hell else do you need on a PW?

DR1665

• Administrator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 03:23:40 PM »
Get a ham radio (and license). I can't suggest this strongly enough. $100 will get you fully legal, miles upon miles of range line of sight, and statewide connectivity over linked repeater networks.

https://americanadventurist.com/hundred-dollar-ham/

Technically, you can use these frequencies without a license in life threatening situations (stranded, broken, and out of water counts), but with a license you can just use it all the time.

Had the crew above been on ham radios, dude who got lost could have called out his location on the repeater network and had the crew inbound the minute he realized he was broken.

$100 insurance policy, imo. I won't hit the trail without mine.
The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)

CharlieN

• Collector of Mitsubishi's dating back to '71
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 04:02:39 AM »
Do any of your guys use Spot devices or Garmin inReach?
Regards, Charlie N

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 08:31:22 AM »
No but a SPOT saved my friend's life after a rollover.