Author Topic: FastEddy's 6G72 Stuck crank sprocket removal trick!  (Read 992 times)

Hellvector

• View Profile
FastEddy's 6G72 Stuck crank sprocket removal trick!
« on: September 17, 2017, 04:32:16 PM »
All credit goes to the wonderful wizard Ed!

The classic stuck crank sprocket on a 6g72 in pic 1.
Pic 2 is the removed sprocket and the proper removal tool.
I ground off about half the thickness of the cogged surface, drilled a row of holes front to back, and whanged along that line with the BFH until the crack started (you can hear the sound change when it cracks), then hit the edge of the drilled hole, almost tangent to the edge, and it cracked again at the keyway (grind your flat opposite the keyway) and the two halves fall out. Total elapsed time, just under 30min. Estimated time to drill the face of the cog, tap the holes, and pull it with a steering wheel puller, hour plus, AND, the odds of your tapped threads stripping out of the powdered metal is at least 50%, in my experience.
Therefore, order the sprocket just in case. If the truck goddess smiles, or the last guy used antiseize, and yours slips right off (in my experience, about 5%), some body here will need it soon.
Use antiseize when you install the new one.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 04:34:20 PM by Hellvector »
91 LWB Montero, 97 GSX, 96 TSi AWD, 91 GVR4 926, 89 Colt, 73 Colt, Problems

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: FastEddy's 6G72 Stuck crank sprocket removal trick!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 03:14:11 PM »
 Thanks for posting this, when the wiki becomes a thing this will definitely go in there.

evomaki

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: FastEddy's 6G72 Stuck crank sprocket removal trick!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 05:28:17 AM »
Here is another option on how to remove the sprocket.  I used 1/4" grade 8 bolts.  The heads had to be thinned down a little bit to fit in the spot between the sprocket and the block (well, oil pump actually...I think).  Just tightened the nuts on each bolt alternately and the thing walked itself out.