Author Topic: Speedometer and Odometer not functioning.  (Read 1898 times)

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
Speedometer and Odometer not functioning.
« on: October 02, 2017, 10:20:55 AM »
Like the title says...both stopped working last Friday going to work. Speedometer would work normally then start the needle would go all over the place on the way to work and when I went to go home it continued to do the same and halfway home it just stopped working all together. I looked through the FSM a little bit this weekend but will have to look a little more but I called Mitsubishi today and they say there is are Vehicle speed sensors on the transmission.

Has anyone had this issue before and how you diagnosed the issue? This is on my 98 Gen 2.5 btw.
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

PA_JERO

Re: Speedometer and Odometer not functioning.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 09:04:19 PM »
You have 2 on your year I believe. One on the tail housing (the part that bolts to the back of transmission but in front of your transfer case). The second being the actual gear that rides on the rear output (where the driveshaft yoke goes into the back of transfer case). Typically if the tail housing one fails, you throw a code, the other I don't think will throw one. But the output one is what actually controls the speedo, if there is no speed there is no odometer. I would check that first, should only be held in by one bolt that holds a retainer bracket deal. Pop that bracket of and slightly twist and pull and the sensor should pop out, it's a little snug because there is an o-ring on the sensor.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 10:30:36 PM »
Yeah, it's not mechanical, it's electrical, isn't it? If that's the case, I'd first look at the wiring between the transmission and the speedo, more likely to have a break/short/fray "down under" than anywhere else.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 05:53:59 AM »
My suspension is the speed sensor mounted towards the rear of the output shaft on the side with a 3 pin plug. I will have to go through my FSM and see how I can test it.

I inspected the wiring and its all good..no signs to indicate that would be the problem.
-2002 Montero Limited
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd

PA_JERO

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 05:16:09 PM »
Pull the sensor out, I've seen the gear at the end of one warn down pretty bad and no longer make contact with the inner splines. If ever a previous owner ran the T-case low on gear oil those gears melt since they are just plastic.

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 05:40:04 AM »
I don't think the speed sensor has gears/splines ...the one I am thinking that has failed is this one.
-2002 Montero Limited
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd

PA_JERO

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 08:33:21 AM »
So, I guess gen 2.5 could be different, but my sensor had a gear on it, same exact sensor with a gear on the shaft. I would pop yours out to check.