Author Topic: Gearing and ring and Pinion information  (Read 6205 times)

Charly

• lost
    • View Profile
Re: Gearing and ring and Pinion information
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 05:14:46 AM »
My Rpms are at 3000 while doing 70 MPH, I know that much. And I run 35's. So far that was my longest road test on saturday. I drove down the US 60 at a steady speed of 70 MPH and maintained 4th gear all the way without down shifting. Typically with my stock 4.63 gears I would be doing 70MPH at somewhere around 2500 rpms and the US 60 doesn't have much incline but on the overpasses, I would have to down shift a couple times to maintain speed. My speedo is pretty close to accurate since I already run a dakota digital speedometer interface due to the transfer case swap.

5.29's axle ratio + 4:1 transfer case = totally bad ass

The other plus side to doing all this, was being able to change out my diaphram in my rear diff whIle it was apart. So no more constant running compressor for the factory locker. I engaged the locker and drove slowly down a dirt road behind my house for a little over 5 minutes. Not one time did it have to re compress. Held air like a champ.

Did you buy a new diaphragm? or do you have access to more?
K9ADV

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 06:13:47 AM »
I pulled a diaphram off of one of the 3rd members I had laying around. I have a factory compressor with jumper wire that I hooked up to a battery and compressed air into each diaphram until I found one that didn't leak.

Unfortunately early gen 2 diaphrams are no longer available. I called mitsu, I went as far as trying to purchase one on line, nothing was available or in stock. But if you have a Gen 2.5 you can still purchase those diaphrams. For an early gen 2 to fix the leaky diaphram issue, you have to buy the updated pressure plate or find a gen 2.5 in a junkyard with a locker and utilize it's 3rd member. Buying an updated pressure plate, plus the new diaphram gets pricey, and you will have to have patience, because the new updated pressure plate has to come from japan. I was told 8 weeks or something like that for the new pressure plate, and the pressure plate was a few hundred dollars, plus the diaphram. Roughly $500, which still isn't bad.

Charly

• lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 07:26:42 AM »
thanks.

happen to recall how much the new diaphragm for the Gen 2.5 was?
K9ADV

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 08:02:19 AM »
And now i need 5.29s.  It never ends with you guys. 
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 07:37:53 PM »
I dont recall exactly. But I want to say around $150 or so. Don't quote me on that though. 2 most comm on things to leak are either the diaphram or the compressor itself. So check the compressor before you drop the cash on a new diaphram.

And yes, every body needs 5.29's. I will get a post together of part numbers and website to purchase with an attempt at a write up of what it takes.

MudRaider

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 03:01:14 AM »
Where did you get a diaphram?

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 02:11:47 PM »
From a diff that I had laying around my garage.

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2017, 07:52:41 PM »
Let's say I shine using my Sport bounty 4.9 gears and step into the 5.29s, how will I fit 37" tires in the front fenderwell of my Gen 2 Max and retain IFS? A 3" body lift will reportedly work for 35s.
1988 Max SPX Extended Cab 4wd with Service Body & Starion Power
1980 Dodge W400 service truck

For Sale: 1983 Montero #277, 1989 Power Ram 50 extended cab
Sundry Gen 1 Montero and Gen 1 & 2 Mighty Max parts and vehicles for sale

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 01:52:48 PM »
This thread seems like a decent place to get it written out..   

I was getting set to try swapping rear third members out as I have a locker/4.63 one of those..  and Pa_Jero informed me that they use a different length axle shaft so I can't just pop it in like that.

So - what's the scoop on that?        Pa_Jero offered me a whole axle basically ready to bolt in which of course would save me a ton of money and time and work but also I feel bad taking it since it's in a fairly complete truck (not a parts mess) and then he'd be sitting on an incomplete truck :( 

What axle shaft(s) are needed for putting a locked 4.63 3rd member in an open 4.27-equipped axle?    Best bet for finding it/them other than luck o' the junkyards?

Offroadmuch

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 07:40:42 PM »
So this should work for the front? Then I need one for the rear also. I would confirm with the seller it came from XLS and it has 4.90's. Correct?

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2017, 10:20:50 PM »
 Yeah and try for an AWD so you can swap the complete axle in.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 08:20:13 AM »
 Shovel, i might have the axle shaft you need if i can get a measurement for comparison.

Whatthesheesh

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 10:37:59 AM »
HI Gents,
This is Ernest.
I got the 5.29s in my Gen 2.5 and successfully completed my first stress test: pulling a 4200 lb Montero Sport  Limited from 29Palms, CA back to Mesa, AZ.
I took it easy as I used a tow bar, buy nonetheless, it did the job!
The Gen 1 v6 low pinion 8" front axle was slightly modified to take the Hyundai hearse but it works.
The 9.5" third member easily accepts the Hyundai 9" gear set but requires some significant pinion depth shimming.
I roll on 37"'s so this puts my rpms about where is was on 35"s with 4.90 gears, slightly higher (which is better with the big meats).
All and all, if guys wanna go this route, I think it will work just fine.
Don't be a cheap as though, spend the money and get the shim kits and at least the pinion bearings. I personally only have about a 75% success rating transferring pinion bearings from one gear to another, and it's a crapload of work if you gotta go back in there in fix it, so don't and do it right the first time!

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »
Your cool Ernest. I'm happy with mine as well so far. Time to get more people on this band wagon.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 08:47:56 PM »
 Hooray Ernest!